Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 14th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Unhappy Chronically itchy dog

Hi all

I've not posted in a month or so - my boy Andy had pancreatitis, was really ill, but has just had his follow up enzyme test and it is normal (what a relief!). So now, I can go back to concentrating on what has become an almost constant, chronic problem He is soooo itchy. We got him as a rescue when he was about 4 1/2, and that fall and winter the itching started. It got better late spring and was fine again until the fall. That cycle lasted 2 years, then it became a year around problem. I've had him to the vet many many times, and to a dermatologist many times also. We have done an elimination diet (long term - over 2 months with no change) so food allergies are not the main culprit. Both vets say very likely inhalent allergies, we've tried Atopica, which worked for a few months and then not at all. Several antihistamines, frequent flea treatment, antibiotics, etc etc. It seems as if lots of things work for a while, and then his system becomes used to them, or something like that. Also tried omega 3 oil, which didn't work. Flax oil in his diet worked for about 2 months, and then became useless. We can't give him any fats now because of the pancreatitis. Ditto a raw diet because of the fat. This really is a terrible problem. He has cut himself open due to scratching. Right at this moment, it is not as bad as it has been, although it is bad. I am so scared the really bad stuff will begin again soon and I don't know what to do. I feel as if we've tried everything, so if ANYONE has any ideas I would love to hear them. Oh, also bathe him regularily - tried many shampoos none of which made a difference, now am using cortisoothe which seems to sometimes help a bit (not the same day though, because it stresses him out and being stressed makes him itch even more). He is also on amitryptyline twice a day. Not sure if it is helping but as I said he has been worse so I don't want to stop it just in case he would be worse without it. Sorry for the long post, but as I said, I am out of ideas and am hoping someone has a miracle cure (if only...)
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't personally have experience with doggie dermatitis so I don't have a lot of advice to offer, but I am wondering what the elimination diet was that you tried. Was it a prescription food, and if so, which one?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Hi Sugarcatmon

It was organic rabbit and yams....nothing else at all.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:45 PM

sorry I should have said - home cooked...
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah good. Just checking, cause most of the prescription diets aren't as hypoallergenic as they're cracked up to be. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I know that with cats, some people use Transfer Factor (derived from colostrum) to try to balance the immune system.

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well my boy went through many yrs of the itchies and the scabs and sores...the eliminations to see what it was etc etc etc....we purchased a good quality high meat content food for him and everything went away! He was on vet prescribed foods and even medications at times and nothing worked till I changed his food.

I now feed him Orijen Fish Formula.

Good Luck

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
NOT a senior member

This may be a long shot, but have you tried apple cider vinegar? I've heard that it can help the itchies, and it has many other health benefits as well, so it can't hurt to try it if you haven't already. By the sounds of it, you've just about tried everything. Good luck!

http://www.preciouspets.org/newslett...er-vinegar.htm

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried giving your poor itchy dog an oatmeal bath it really helps to relieve the itching. Try to find one that has no scents in it. I buy mine at the health food store. They have organic dog shampoos
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Nell had pancreatitis so we have to watch her diet and she also has food as well as enviromental allergies.We're using Eagle Pack holistic fish formula,as well as moducare to boost her immune system and vanectyl p when the seasonal enviromental allergies are really bad.We also use oatmeal shampoo as well as a leave in oatmeal rinse.We also rinse her feet and legs when she's out in the long grass for awhile.She's not perfect,but at least she's not on steroids all year and she isn't itchy most of the time.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Lise,

So, even though Nell has had pancreatitis, you've used vanectyl-p...we've used that in the past, but I thought that any whiff of steroids had to be abandoned if pancreatitis had been an issue. So, you've had no further problems with the pancreatitis I'm guessing...this is a bit encouraging because Andy was on his first ever batch of prednisone just before he was diagnosed with pancreatitis, and I understood that steroids could possibly be a cause of pancreatitis, although my vet said that it usually comes with long term use.

I did buy something called ZinPro, which is a supplement with zinc, that is supposed to boost the immune system. I had just started to use it and the the pancreatitis came on. I am thinking about using it again. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Mastiflover, I've tried many oatmeal shampoos and rinses, but no luck - they sometimes seem to make him worse. I may look into something organic though - I've just bought what the vet sells.
Purpledomino, I'm going to try rinsing with apple cider vinergar next time I bathe Andy. When I was a little girl my mom used to rinse my hair in white vinegar, so can't be all that bad. It's certainly worth a try. Thanks to all for your suggestions, and please, keep 'em coming!! I need all the help I can get!!
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM

We only use the vanectyl p as a last resort on the lowest effective dose for her which is one pill every three days and she only needs to be on it for a maximum of three weeks a year.The rest of the time use everything else!Nell had acute pancreatitis as opposed to chronic,chonic is more likely to reoccur with steroid use.As far as fat in diet it is important to watch that,but excercise and weight are even more important,overweight or underexcercised middle age females are the highest risk for pancreatitis.So far we have not had another attack with Nell.I don't like to use steroid on any animal there are way too many side effects,but Nell gets so itchy certain times of the year she bites her feet and legs until they are bleeding without them.
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Mom to Harley

You mention you bathe Andy regularly. Dogs should not be bathed regularly. That could be contributing to the itching. I have found that bathing my dog rarley has helped his itching problems greatly. Harley (who also has pancreatitis) gets bathed when he goes to the groomers every couple of months and she uses a medicated shampoo on him. I bathe him only when he has a major will-not (A will- not for those of you who do not know is poop that will not come off) or manages to get himself in to some kind of messy situation that necessitates a bath. Sometimes he gets one bath between groomings, sometimes two, sometimes no baths.
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM

re your itchy doggy

I can relate to your woes as I just posted on this post a few minutes ago and earlier today, about my very very itchy little doggy .... :sad: begging for some advice!!!!! It is so very very frustating not knowing what to do. I am writing to ask you to PLEASE!!!!!!! be careful with the apple cider vinegar!!!!!!! Do NOT use it on her paws, skin etc. if they are red and inflamed. It is okay to use when the skin is not yet at that point, otherwise it will burn immensely.
If you read my posts of today, my little dog Baby actually LOVES the taste of the Apple Cider Vinegar!!!!!!! and when I was dabbing it on her paws, trying to soothe the itchiness she was licking it and at me!yummy Also, just to let you know - I tried Benadryl tablets, but they did nothing for her, so I am stopping and I am switching back to the Vanectyl P - I will try it again, but I will increase the dose to 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. Have you tried the Benadryl tablets - you might want to ask your Vet the dosage....you never know....it MIGHT work for you!! If you hear of anything to try, and vice versa too, please keep me posted and I will too.
Let me know!!