Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM

seperation anxiety and crate training- Need Help!

I have a 2 yr. old male pomeranian who has separation anxiety. I will be taking vacation time to work with him on this, but until then, we are supposed to crate train him. I realize that i can't close the door, an probably wont be able to for a while (b/c of his anxiety)....so how do i get him to stay in there? he comes out right after he is given a treat inside the crate.
Am i just being too impatient? How long does is usually take a dog to be crate trained? (considering his age and anxiety)

Last edited by wolfy; June 4th, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:39 PM

I believe you won't be able to keep him in there if you don't close the door. I started training my puppy and what I did was put him in there and closed the door when he whined I didn't take him out only when he stopped now we have had King now for a week and two days now and the door is left open all day and he goes in there all by himself to take his naps or just to get away. I don't know how to handle a dog that is 2 years old and hasen't been trained since it was younger it will take alot of time and patience but I know in order to keep him in the crate you have to close the door. What about a dog pen bigger then the crate.
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

What happens if you give him a chew toy in there? Like a Kong filled with something mega-tasty that he only gets when he's in the crate.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM

taking your dog to doggy daycare everyday till he stops freaking out when you drop him off could work too. Then take him at least once every two weeks. You can even do half days if cost is an issue. A trainer recommended that to us with our Boston. It did help alot.
Lots of ignoring the dog helps too. Only give attention when the dog is feeling good. Try putting your coat on, grab your keys, walk around, dont leave, remove the coat etc, go about your business so the dog wont start to panic about shoes/coats/keys every time you leave. Or kennel him for 2-3 minutes here and there (or as long as he takes to settle?) while youre home, then let him out like it was nothing?? (We never did that but it was reccommended a few times.)
Im not sure about the crate...we did lots of other things and she just got better in the crate along with the rest of it.
Good Luck.
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My American Eskimo has crate terror - thanks to the BYB - so despite having separation anxiety and the jaws and claws of death (major chewer and Hoover) he doesn't go in a crate unless he has to go to vet for a procedure and then he is really pathetic. He is now 4 years old. I can now leave him for a couple of hours without him doing too much - except he sits at the window - Eskies (and Poms - very similar in looks and personality) tend to be concerned more about who is not at home, rather than who is - so my guy sits at window when one of us is home and the other is not. Frustrating - especially since he is really "my" guy. I guess all you can do is follow the suggestions of those of have had success with the crate - my guy just isn't suited to it - is terrified and starts chewing on the bars - and he has seriously big teeth - all 22 lbs. of him.
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM

I was going to answer this but it would be too lengthy.
I did a search on Google and found something that you can read up on instead.
Hope it helps.

Just remember to be patient while training and give lots of praise.
Never train when you are in a bad mood or angry with your dog.

http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...og-crate.shtml