Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM

Looking for solutions to pet abandonment problem, want to create or join group

The increasing number of abandoned pets - especially cats - in our SW Ontario city, is really heart wrenching. I feel angry because I believe this problem is largely preventable.

I’m looking for education resources. Canadian links especially are needed.

1. Where is the best place to join or create a group that agrees with this cause & wants to do something to help solve this problem? What’s the best way to recruit others?

2. What are other cities/groups/organizations doing to help people keep their pets?

3. Do you know of any Canadian pet food banks?

4. Links encouraging more pet friendly housing in cities, education resources for landlords?

5. Should vet bills be tax deductible in Canada? Info & links needed.

6. What is the best way to connect with others in my city who feel the same way about pet abandonment?

- Where is the best place for us to discuss this? I like the Pets.ca forum because I agree with your views that pet owners need to know about nutrition & other issues affecting their pets’ welfare. These things help to prevent or solve problems that can lead to pet abandonment, relinquishment & euthanasia.

7. Should I start my own charity?

- I don’t like diverting money away from the local rescue organizations, but I suspect there are a lot of people like me who are already spending their own money to help homeless pets. (I think rescue organizations & volunteers do terrific work, but don’t necessarily address the root of the homeless pet problem.).

8. Many people are afraid to report that their neighbours are neglecting their animals. Should I tell people that I will offer moral support if they want to contact animal by-law enforcement and the Humane Society? Should people send anonymous notes to neglectful pet owners owners quoting info from the Humane Society?

9. Is it against the law to loose an animal and not go look for it or put a free ad in the paper? If it is, has anyone ever been prosecuted for it?

10. What else can we do to encourage people to be good guardians and keep their pets?

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow, those are a lot of thought provoking questions.
I would think in these days of electronic wizardry the most likely way to meet like minded people who would want to start/belong to a group like you want is to twitter or use facebook. Those are the most popular sites that I can think of and would reach the largest amount of people. Just don't ask me how Twitter works as I have no desire to be a part of it. But if you want something on a large scale it's probably the best way to go.

It's a lofty goal you have set yourself. Have you managed to emass a fortune in order to pursue it? Something on the scale of what you are wanting to do would be more than a full time job. It would mean overseeing a lot of different areas. Are you willing to delegate to cut back on your work load?

Some food banks have started to include pets as well as human food as they are realizing the importance of families being able to keep a very important member of the family.

Have you thought of putting an ad in your local newspaper? You could leave an email addy (hotmail, not your own personal one) for people who may be interested in helping to contact you.

Starting your own charity is a monumental undertaking. Are you thinking non profit? You need a board of directors from what I can understand when I was searching.

(I think rescue organizations & volunteers do terrific work, but don’t necessarily address the root of the homeless pet problem.).

I can't say I necessarily agree with that statement. How do rescues not address the root? A lot of people involved in rescue spend countless hours doing everything humanly possible to help that exact problem. I personally, although I am not your typical rescuer IMO, talk about s/n every single chance I get. That, also IMO, is one of the largest "roots" of the problem. Stop people from breeding indiscriminately and you will stop a large degree of the homelessness. Work on shutting down puppy and kitty mills. License breeders. Fine breeders for producing more than a set amount of litters in a time period (1 or 2 years).

As for pet friendly housing - to a large degree "we" have been guilty of aiding a lot of landlords in reaching the decision not to allow pets. They are getting tired of having to clean up the mess left by irresponsible tenants not looking after their pets. I have been on the receiving end of that a couple of times. Am currently going through it again. I spent money I did not have repairing a home I had rented out so I could sell. The tenants had a puppy they didn't clean up after. Need I say more?

I have not heard of any laws that state if your pet is lost you can be fined. If that were the case there would be a lot fewer dump offs of cats and dogs in the country.

IMHO without a lot of laws being changed and fines being levied nothing much is going to change. Personally I feel all we can do is educate. Education is the key to it all. Every chance you get......... EDUCATE.

One more thing that we could all do. Talk to our politicians. Make them aware of the pet overpopulation issue. Change can happen with all of our help.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Tags
abandonment, abuse, neglect, welfare