Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Oh, I forgot to ask that... Will you keep the names? I think their names suit them so well... Kerry is so independent that it's fitting that she have a very human name. Doolin is such a wuss, drama queen and a goof, so his softer name works for him too.

And when they grow up all huge, Kerry can be Ker-Bear and variations of that... Doolin can be Doo, Big Doo, Doobie, Doobily, doodie patootie, Doo-bear... (I know more for Doo because of Boo...).

Tonight I cleaned their ears... Kerry's ears were horribly dirty. The wax just flaked off. She wasn't a problem, but Doolin... Oh the drama... I wiped the flap with a dry kleenex and the screams! His ears were so clean but he was such a baby about it.
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Missing Cosmo

So, Doolin's a little dramatic, huh? Well, that's just par. Our 2 male Labs, George and Zebby were horrible when it came to getting their ears clean. The howling was unbelievable. You'd think we were killing them.

George's sister, Gracie, was a real trooper, though. She would cry while we were cleaning George's ears and then push her way in so that we could clean hers to show him that it didn't hurt. Never had a problem with their mom, MaggieMae, either.

The only one that hate's it now is Ernie, but then, he hates everything!

You know, we've been discussing names. We're not sure what we want to do. We may keep the ones they have but we've also been playing around with a few couple names. You know like: Fred & Ethel; Betty & Barney; Ralph & Alice. Really corny, but we're kinda like that, corny! Lou's leaning towards Trixie & Norton and I kinda like Dudley & Julia but we'll wait until we get them home.

As far as what they're mixed with....we were just hoping for big, black and healthy. We initially thought about buying a purebred Newf, but a friend of ours convinced us that there were lots of puppies out there that needed homes, so we opted to adopt.

It does look as if their ears are gonna stand up...we'll see. Whatever they are, they will be much loved. :love:
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

My neighbour across the street has a newfie and my parents neighbour has a newfie as well (different dogs) They both taught the dogs a very important command when they are outside. "Shake" The drool goes flying over the place!

The Newfie that lives besides me, is horrible on his leash! He pulls like crazy and drags his owner down the street. His owner never seems to get mad, just smiles and trys to control him. They also have have their dog clipped all the time, even in the winter.

People across the street from my parents have kids, the dog is very well trained and walks like a prince on his leash.

When they were pups, they looked very similar to Doolin and Kerry. Both dogs are very gentle and beautiful.
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Really, you might change their names? I guess you have to meet them first...
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

You know being sick is not an excuse for not posting our daily pictures!!
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't change their names....PLEASE

On my knees begging..

Pretty please.Pretty pretty please.......

I really think their names suit them....

And I am sure they are used to them by now....

Ok,was that whinny enough?????

I can be whinnier..Honestly I can.......
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM

LOL Mona... That was my man's reaction. He was all, "Really? But they're just starting to really know their names!"

But I don't want to pressure their new family. I mean, they're not our dogs, right Mona?

It's hard for me too, because I have never named a dog, so I sort of don't believe in it. I think destiny names them in a way. Our dogs always came with a name that nobody knew the history of except Boo. But he chose his own name (we tried dozens and he chose Boo).

The other thing is once ZebbyZeb meets them and gets to know them, she'll see how individual they are and she might not see sort of coupling names as suitable. Sort of like how some parents of twins never dress the kids the same?

Kerry and Doolin are really different individuals. They're each so special in their own way.:love:

No pics- they're at the vet tonight for the big op.

I found out early this morning that Doolin gets car sick... ew... He threw up corn- sorry to get graphic, but he hasn't eaten any corn of any kind since he's been here, so it was just in storage in his belly all this time...

Last edited by Prin; February 14th, 2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
But I don't want to pressure their new family.
Who said you had too................

Quote:
they're not our dogs, right Mona?
I know.....
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:52 PM

I think this overnight vet trip is helpful in getting me ready to let them go. Jemma and Boo aren't even reacting really. You'd think they'd have a surge of energy or something, but they don't. Same ol', same ol'. Just less growling. Jemma let me play with her feets for a long time without ever growling. I guess that's her way of being thankful.

They are getting a lot more attention though... Imagine next week when I'm on spring break and I'm home with only them all week!
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Well Prin that just means one thing....

more pics before the big day comes!!!!

And ZebbyZeb, I know this decision is solely yours, and you're under no obligation whatsoever to do anything you don't wish, but please please please please please please keep em as Kerry and Doo

::: flashes puppy eyes ::::

I can beg some more if you like!

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Missing Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebbyZeb
You know, we've been discussing names. We're not sure what we want to do. We may keep the ones they have but we've also been playing around with a few couple names. You know like: Fred & Ethel; Betty & Barney; Ralph & Alice. Really corny, but we're kinda like that, corny! Lou's leaning towards Trixie & Norton and I kinda like Dudley & Julia but we'll wait until we get them home.
Wow! I guess I better watch what I say! I only mentioned that we haven't decided yet. All the dogs we have now came to us already named. Everyone thinks we picked 'em...you know Harley....Charlie...right? Nope, they came with those names. I like Kerry just fine, it's just that the name Doolin reminds us of someone we used to know. Not a very nice person and Lou has a problem with that. That's why the only thing we have decided on, is to wait till we get them home. Is that okay with everyone?

Quote:
I found out early this morning that Doolin gets car sick... ew... He threw up corn- sorry to get graphic, but he hasn't eaten any corn of any kind since he's been here, so it was just in storage in his belly all this time...
Great to know. We'll have to come prepared for this. I feel bad, he's gonna feel just awful after the 5 hour drive home. I know...I used to get horrible car sickness when I was a kid Anyone got any ideas how we can make it easier on the little guy?
Prin, please let us know how the surgery went. Thanks
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

We got Jesse "puppy prozac" for our car ride from Maryland to Florida. It was great. She slept between us, on her bed, in the front of the moving truck the entire time. She only woke up for potty breaks and of course, she wasn't allowed to jump out of the truck, we had to carry her.
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'm seeing the vet on thursday for some surgery consults so I'll ask him if there is anything we can give them to not feel so blechy for the trip.

As for the names.. I think that names are pretty personal and at this age, they switch over to any name fairly easily. I simply picked two good Irish names that refer to Black for obvious reasons.
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

names meanings

Dubhlainn "dove + lin" Doolin From dubh "black" and lan "blade, sword" means "black sword." Dubhlainn loved the fairy queen and legendary harpist Aoibhell who gave him her cloak of invisibility to wear in battle.

Kerry

ciar means "dark" and probably implies "dark hair and brown eyes." County Kerry means "the land of the descendant of Ciar" who was the love-child of the High King Fergus Mac Roth and the legendary Queen Maebh.

Got the second meaning wrong Zebby so wanted to post them here so you would know.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Missing Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
Dubhlainn "dove + lin" Doolin From dubh "black" and lan "blade, sword" means "black sword." Dubhlainn loved the fairy queen and legendary harpist Aoibhell who gave him her cloak of invisibility to wear in battle.

Kerry

ciar means "dark" and probably implies "dark hair and brown eyes." County Kerry means "the land of the descendant of Ciar" who was the love-child of the High King Fergus Mac Roth and the legendary Queen Maebh.

Got the second meaning wrong Zebby so wanted to post them here so you would know.
It all sounds so romantic.:love: I'll run it by Lou, Thanks.
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:15 AM

ZebbyZeb, we're half joking, you know. They are your dogs and if you don't like the names, by all means, change them.

For the car sickness, Doolin's a cuddler, so with cuddling, he might be alright. It was one of their first trips in the car and they were alone, with no crate, in the back seat. When I go get them, I'll see how he is in the car.
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
ZebbyZeb, we're half joking, you know. They are your dogs .

We were? they are?

Will they have dual citizenship?
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM

They're home. They're ok. They weren't sure why we were there, but about halfway home they figured out who we were and started to get happy. They ate a ton and are now wandering around looking for things to chew on. Doolin went straight for the shoes.

They're both a little licky so we'll have to keep an eye on them.

They both came home on my lap in the car and Doolin didn't so much as drool. I think it was just being alone in a strange place that made him puke last time. He needs a lot of cuddling.

I think he was saving all his pee for us because he came in and dropped about a liter...

Oh and they're lighter than we thought. Kerry is 16lbs (totally empty) and Doolin is about 20lbs. I asked the receptionisty person and she said they were 10 lbs each (which I found hard to believe- I'm stronger than that! ), so I weighed them again.
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Missing Cosmo

I'm glad everything went okay

Quote:
They both came home on my lap in the car and Doolin didn't so much as drool. I think it was just being alone in a strange place that made him puke last time. He needs a lot of cuddling.
Oh, I think we can take care of the cuddling part okay, I mean, if we gotta, we gotta!
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The vet said to give each of them a baby gravol 2 hours before the trip.. That means 5:30am... heavens, I'm an early riser but that's very early. Did you note that Prin? Zebby will be here at 7:30am on Saturday to pick the little one's up. Start bracing yourself. :sad:
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad the s/n is over with and everything went fine
They are leaving already Saturday the time really flies!
It will probably be hard on you Prin,but you know they are going to great new owners and you'll be ready to foster another blackie,you better ask Boo and Jemma first though.
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Missing Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
Will they have dual citizenship?
It's only a 5 hour drive so anytime you're down this way let me know and you can stop and visit a while...just let me know ahead of time and we'll have a BBQ! OMG, an open invitation....what was I thinking! No seriously, I'll post pictures (now that I know how) but if anyone is down this way...let's arrange a visit! Everyone has so much invested in these two, I just consider you all to be "godparents"!
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh..we'll have a bbq at ZebbyZebs house this summer
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Better watch out... we'll arrange a pets.ca bbq, camp over if you aren't careful!
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM

7:30AM on a Saturday?!?! Geez. How's a girl s'post to stay beautiful without any beauty rest?

2 days left...

Are they going to need the baby gravol? I think they'll be ok, no? They'll have empty stomachs that early in the morning... I can donate a dog towel just in case... It would just suck if they get home and they're still drugged...
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol Prin, you are being a worry wort. How about we let Zebby decide on this one? I'll do whatever she decides?
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM

For sure. Neither of us will be in the car with them... And as of 10AM Saturday morning, Kerry and Doolin will be their doggies to do with as they please.
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Missing Cosmo

Quote:
7:30AM on a Saturday?!?! Geez. How's a girl s'post to stay beautiful without any beauty rest?

2 days left...

Are they going to need the baby gravol? I think they'll be ok, no? They'll have empty stomachs that early in the morning... I can donate a dog towel just in case... It would just suck if they get home and they're still drugged...
Hey, a little sympathy, here.....beauty rest???? We have to be on the road by 2:30am to get there by 7:30am!
I'm sorry to sound so ignorant but I have no idea what "baby gravol" is.
The ride is gonna be long so will it be worn off by then? We'll have blankets, towels and stuff so that won't be an issue. I just want to make sure that the trip home isn't any harder for them than it has to be. I'm trusting you guys......let me know what you think.
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Missing Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
Better watch out... we'll arrange a pets.ca bbq, camp over if you aren't careful!
Hey our house is small but we've got a big, private backyard....no problem, you can pitch tents....just let me know ahead of time.... we might want to rent a port-a-john.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Baby gravol is what you give to little kids for motion sickness. My vet said it would be perfectly safe to give to the two little one's for the long car ride. They each get just one tablet two hours before the trip then hopefully it will greatly reduce the risk of vomitting and nausea. Let me know. You can email me what you wish to do.