Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 6th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

You are great and your dilligence paid off and so did backing off at the right time. I am glad you get to spend time with the dog now and he obviously has changed his mind about you and your advice. Love happy endings
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:49 PM
banned user

This is great news....
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

The saga continues.....

I really hate to resurrect this one, but things have taken a turn for the worse :sad: All had been going well, and I have been hanging out with Jo as much as I want(Great!).The bad news is the owner.

For quite a while, the owner has been letting Jo out in her yard without any tie up or even his watchful eye. She stays put for a while, but then she takes off. He has NO fencing whatsoever and flatly refuses to put up a fence, as he excavated his yard so he has a clear view of the coves. He doesn't want to ruin the view with a fence! What a knob! What about the dogs wellbeing??? Jo is out running amok all over the street and ends up in anybody's yard, and eventually mine. I had her twice yesterday, uninvited (not that I minded ). Apparently, she was at puppy playtime at another neighbour's house and sneaked around the fence that leads onto the coves (open area with access to many yards), and she went travelling. The puppy caregiver at that time had no idea that it was ME who ended up with the dog and returned it to the owners' house. The owner didn't notice as he was working on renos.

This is really pissing my husband off. He took it out on me even though he should have directed his anger at the owner. He says I am "assisting" the bad owner by taking Jo in the yard every time, and that I put her and the owner's interests ahead of everything else! I just don't want the dog to be hit by a car, collected by Animal Care or worse! My husband did realize later that he was a boob and apologized to me. He knows I am only trying to help and knows that it is the owner who needs a talking to.

The owner phoned me after he realized that his dog was not at the puppy playtime, he called me. I had had Jo for about an hour by this time and my husband was freaking. I did not know what to do. Do I return her? Do I wait for the owner to call and come get her? Do I let my husband deal with him? My husband threatened to call the pound. He's had it. When I answered the phone, I got blasted by the neighbour!! Now I've got 2 men yelling at me I almost started to cry. WHAT DID I DO WRONG!!!! Here I am doing everyone a favour out of the kindness of my heart and I get yelled at by everyone!

The owner assumed I thought he was an a**hole and he let out this tirade of how he cannot handle the dog anymore, how there will be no fence, how he has done alot of training, (he has), and said he's gonna give away the dog to me or the other neighbour, (I can't take her: 3 dog limit). He said he's had it, and if she runs and gets picked up by the pound, he won't go get her I tried to calm him down, and he went on and on about how he never realized how much work a dog would be. He says he just can't deal with her and his lifestyle is not right for a dog.

FINE TIME TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT EINSTEIN!

I calmed him down and went over to talk about what can be done with his yard. Made husband mad again..."there you go putting someone elses' interests first again". I took over some bolts and thingys to fix his clothesline so the dog could have a "run" area while on leash. I suggested invisible fencing, which I don't like the sounds of because it involves shock collar(?)

I am at the point of trying to find a new home for Jo.

Please help me. I am sad today.
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I can really relate to this situation, minus the pi**y husband (sorry). I guess when things have settled down, the best you can do is offer to help rehome the dog. Sounds like the owner has had it.
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM

breaking the bond...

but who solves my broken heart and Jo's broken heart?
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

check your PM.

Sending you guys a cyber-hug
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:45 PM

You have done everything in your power - sometimes things don't work out the way we want . However, I believe things happen for a reason that we can't possibly know in advance, and even though you are sad, the future may change things around for Jo, if she ends up in a loving home where she can be safe. Her owner is obviously either not interested or not able to provide what she needs, and you have been a real friend to the dog and continue to be if only there were more like you in the world! (You're husband knows this too..) Best of luck in finding a good home, and let's hope Jo's owner has learnt a lesson. More hugs...
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Lezzerpezzer,I am so sorry for the heartbreak,you obviously love that dog :sad:
I wish you could rehome your idiot-neighbor and keep the dog
I remember the pressure of keeping an eye on one of my neigbors little dog,who was kept in a garage and the fury I felt...until something was done about it.It occupies your head,there is just no letting go,until there is a solution...you just CANNOT let go and ignore an animal in need.
I really have no advice or solution,other than trying to re-home the dog,or try to find a GSD rescue.
Whatever is decided,Jo is lucky to have you on his side
to both of you!
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Thank you!

Right now, Jo is upstairs having a ball with my dogs, chew toys, peanut butter snack etc. She is so happy and so am I. The owner seemed much more relaxed and down to earth today. He asked me to put her in her crate when I go to work and take her home. One day at a time. Will keep you posted.
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

This sucks and you had made such progress with the owner. I agree no invisible fencing it can be dangerous to the dogs. Plus it does not keep anything out. We all understand you are trying to help and you get sh** from both of them does not help to make you feel any better. I thnk this guy in one breath wants to get rid of Jo and on the other hand I think really likes him tough situation but a fence would solve a lot of problems. What about a fenced run for Jo out of chainlink so it would not block the view.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:32 PM
<-----nut ball

don't you have to have fences where you are? in Toronto you have to have a fence, at least it was like that when I was a kid. After my parents were divorced, someone broke part of our fence (two sides of our property were schoolyard and a catwalk to the school yard). We were broke, on welfare, but a city inspector came and told us we had to fix it as it was a bylaw (I still remember as it was summer and I was outside at the time. My mom ended up using clothes hangers to pull the chain link fence back together, and it has stayed like that ever since!

sorry...little off topic..I just thought it was illegal not to have a fence.
Old January 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM

fencing...

I have suggested a chain link plus a few gates on either side of the house. Here's his setup:

full length solid fence on both north and south side of yard, which run as far back as his yard, except it is open when it just about hits the water. This is Jo's escape route! I have suggested a chain link with vines in the summer to make it aesthetic, but this, of course, will obstruct his view. I'm gonna work on the plain chain link thing, as there is a hill that is quite steep to the cove and you wouldn't see it unless you were right at the edge looking for it.

On either side of the back of his house, he could easily add a gate as the fence virtually runs right up to the house. He seemed to be considering this. I am gonna kick his butt in that direction. So little fence would fix the problem instantly, but the owner is so stubborn!!

As far as I know, you do not legally need to put up a fence for any reason. But it sure is stupid not to if you own a dog!! I wish it were mandatory. Would solve a lot of problems. Remember: good fences make good neighbours!