Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 14th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Completely agree on rabies yes yes

but the others way over vaccinated, no need for them every year!

Vets make a killing off us and get our dogs sick from over vaccinating.
The only ones benefitting those vets banks and the drug companies.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Chocolate

OMG, they make a killing off us if u go there and ask questions!

faaaaaack, last time i went, the price was as follows:

1. chocolate - heartworm test
2. honey - heartworm test
3. honey - inspection/diagnosis
4. honey - estrogen pills
5. chocolate - refill on whip worm pills
6. chocolate - heartworm preventative
7. honey - heartworm preventative

oh, i'm not gonna list prices... i forgot what they were, but it easily racked up to $350-370

just remember, at the vet, E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G costs.

and hopefully at the end of the day, ur dog's better

oh, lemme add, that is should at least cost MONEY, not LIVES.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm lucky the vet i'm with I've been with about 20 years now and she waives certain fees so she's not that bad. And she's good to get a hold of on the phone for anytime the day/night if theres a real serious problem. She was blessing to have when Sadie was very young and very sick.

Now that she's all better wheee except that spay site and the infection but it's clearing up lets hope it keeps clearing up or they have to cut it out IKES
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Chocolate

hey, don't get me wrong!

i love my vet(s)

i hear they've got the cheapest prices in t.o.!

$32 for check up!! and YES, they're credible/knowledgeable and if u get anyone but this one guy, they're TOTALLY friendly
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:04 AM

Good point Luba... Titer tests are a good way to solve this problem, if they are available. But if they aren't, I think that it's better to over vaccinate than under vaccinate, but I suppose it depends on where you live, what your risks are, etc... Shouldn't vets be telling people about these tests? Is it fairly inexpensive?

I don't necessarily think we're at odds on this one, Luba!
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Sheltie Mom

I'm still on the fence about this issue. I don't like the idea of totally not vaccinating (like some hardcore holistic pet owners I know) but I also don't like the idea of vaccinating every year. I think we'll probably end up taking the dogs for vaccinations every 3/4 years or so.

I asked our vet's assistant about titer prices. They were outrageous! $300 for a rabies titer. Not to mention all the other stuff we have to test as well.. I've also heard that titers only tell you if the animal has been recently exposed to the virus. Some sites say they show the level of antibodies and some say they only show how recently the animal has been exposed to the virus. I'm still confused about that one. I guess I'll ask the vet on Friday but I doubt I'll get an unbiased opinion.

Has anyone heard of nosodes? I asked the vet assistant about it but she had never heard of them. I've read that they're suspected to be a safe alternative to vaccinations.. I don't know if there's any proof though. Maybe I should ask the holistic vet..
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Chocolate

hehehehehe, and a holistic vet'll be UNbiased?

Old August 15th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Sheltie Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wAggie
hehehehehe, and a holistic vet'll be UNbiased?

Hahaha probably not but.. hey, at least I'd hear what I want to hear! LOL (That and I'll have two biased opinions to base my decision on).
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A holistic vet is more concerned in improving the health and quality of life of your pet, unfortunately some traditional western medicine vets are often consumed by solving everything with a drug which is a shame. Drugs and vaccines have their places
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM

to vaccinate, or not vaccinate?

I had an AWESOME talk with my vet yesterday. I had Chewy go in for a rabies vaccine (she had never had one.. scary) and we got onto the talk of "had she every had her original shots and boosters" While she was concerned about the fact that she may not have, she was MORE concerned about the fact that she may have had them, and doing it again could cause her harm. While she has no proof of what she has seen over the years has been vaccinosis, she feels that was the case, and she is very weary in vaccinating all the time, "just to be safe", because it may not be the safest option. I can't tel you how glad I was to hear it, and we had an awesome conversation about it. That, and she is rabid mad because she has a puupy patient with parvo and the store that sold the dog is taking no responsibility, although it COMPLETELY is their fault. Stupid corporations.. Gotta give it to her though, she's been trying to shut them down for YEARS. GO VET GO!

This whole discussion really is individual, kinda like declawing, debarking and cropping ears! You'll never get everyone to agree, and in some places, you don't have a choice in vaccinating if you want to have a dog. I do agree that the prices are outrageous for consultations, vaccines, tests... I want to have a full blood screen done for Chewy, to see if her past neglect has caused any permanent harm, but MAN, it is ever expensive, and if something like eating something off the street can skewer the results, I'll just have to do it over!!!

And yet, I would never stop owning pets!!

Ruff

p.s. (Luba, I have the pictures, and know how to put them up, but they're 113K!!!!!!! garrrr!!!)
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
she was MORE concerned about the fact that she may have had them, and doing it again could cause her harm
You have a good vet! How many would even talk with you like that? That must have made you feel so good! Great job!

Did you try to shrink the pics?
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM
banned user

I am also very fortunate to have a great Vet, Dr Judy will not do anything that might hurt my pets in anyway. As the breeder of Blaze told me to use Ivomac for mange Dr Judy told me one shot can kill Blaze. I give her full range with my boys and she spends time talking with my and explaining everything, rabies yearly!

Find a vet you trust and do as they tell you.