Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Unhappy Dog wrinkles and skin folds

I don't have a dog with wrinkles or skin folds, but my good friend does and she is having troubles with him itching a lot. Does anyone here have a bull dog and experience this? What have you done to fix it? All I've told her is to just maybe bath him.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome, AnnAsh!

Sounds like your friend's dog might have an allergy--maybe a food allergy, which often manifests as skin conditions. What is she feeding him?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Hi!
She feeds him one of those big brand names...maybe Iams I think.
She used some dog wipes last night someone recommended to her, and she said there was a lot of dirt on the wipe, and he is itching a lot less. Maybe it is a minor infection or something...I think she needs to clean him more!
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

a lot of people "pat" corn starch in the folds, like you would do to a baby's bum. keeps the folds of skin dry and prevents itching
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM

This is quite out of my area since my dog isn't a wrinkled pooch, but I was told by a pug owner that the wrinkles need to be cleaned daily and kept dry to prevent yeast infections. Moisture gets trapped in the folds and causes itching, odor and may cause infection. Is there any odor coming from the wrinkled skin? Yeast infections will have a smell like bread or beer.

I'm betting your friend needs to use the wipes several times a week (or daily) and keep the skin folds clean and dry. Bet she will see great improvement. Try searching for bulldog or pug forums for more information and recommended products. If that doesn't help, your friend may want to consider changing foods. Many of the grocery store/pet supply chain stores sell foods that are heavy with corn and wheat which can be big allergy triggers for dogs. Good luck.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM

I have 9 pugs, and lots and lots of wrinkles.

Depends where the folds/wrinkles that are bothering him are.

If it is the nose roll, just under the eyes, this needs to be cleaned daily in any dog that has extra tear production. these you can use a non-medicated baby wipe, or just a kleenex will work. Once there is a odor or any reason to suspect yeast or bacteria, then Zymox has a cream that helps with both especially made for skin folds. I get mine from Entirely Pets.

If the wrinkle giving a problem is somewhere that you cannot explain any mositure, then you would most likely be looking at an allergan. Most times it is as simple as using a grain free food.

Bathing often can help if the dog is rolling in dirt etc. but other than that, this is not the cause. Zymox also puts out a shampoo that aids in yeast and bacteria. Moisture is usually first, then dirt, dandruff etc stick to that.

Hope this helps her.
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Thankfully there is no smell from her dog. Thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone.