Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 19th, 2006, 11:38 PM
-

Easyway Collar/Headhalter

Has anyone tried the Easyway Collar/Headhalter? If so, is it "easy" to put on?
www.newtrix.ca/docs/woofsforus.php

My dogs wriggle and squirm alot when I try to put on a regular harness.
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Hmm.. You have to put the ring on the bottom, slip the muzzle in the narrow muzzle part (hardest part, IMO) and then pull the other strappy part over the back of the head... No, not too easy. Boo isn't squirmy and it takes me a couple of tries to get it on. It's great though. He doesn't pull whatsoever on it. When I need a relaxing walk, I use it.
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Oh I should add- I've never had another halty or anything (other than a sled dog harness) so I have nothing to compare it to. For all I know, it could be the easiest one out there...
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
-

I have a Gentle Leader right now that I got for Logan. What I don`t like about it is that the leash hooks on under the chin. It`s not bad if the dog stays on one side and, now that I have Chase, I don`t think it would work well with two dogs. With the Easyway the leash hooks on at the back so I think that I would have better control.....I hope!

I also have harnesses but with 60 lb. Logan and 80 lb. Chase, they just pull too much for me, to walk them both...even my husband can`t.

Last edited by rainbow; March 20th, 2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM

This sounds like something I could use. Do you have to purchase directly from their website or is the product available at placess like PetSmart etc.?
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
-

In B.C. you can get them at the SPCA. They have a toll free number on their website so maybe they can tell you where to purchase them.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM

In Qc a lot of animally stores have them (like food stores etc), so it might be easy to find it.

They do work great. It's a weird sensation for them when it tightens behind their head, so they just don't do it (usually). I just hope that for dogs who pull anyway, there's no risk. I mean it's safer by far than the ones that turn the neck- those can break the top two vertebrae very easily.
Old March 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM
-

Prin, do you use the Easyway on both of your dogs to walk them at the same time? If so, is it "easy"?
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM

I only use it for Boo. He's 90ish pounds and can pull if he feels like being an a**. With that on, for sure, he's really easier to walk than with a choker or flat collar. I mean, he's a good walker, but with this one, even if a squirrel ran right in front of us, he wouldn't lunge. In the beginning, it made me wonder if it was hurting him, but he's not afraid of it or anything. With the prong, we just touched it in the store and he threw up. He doesn't react when I grab this one. I think it's great. It's expensive though but it's great.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM

I bought a Gentle Leader for Daisy and she always managed to slip out of it, no matter how much I tightened it. I also didn't like where the leash hooked up.

My trainer sold me an Easyway and I see they are offered at a lot of training seminars (I have been to 2 and they had a booth at both). Once you figure out how to put it on, its a breeze.

The only think I didn't like was, no matter how loose I put it, Daisy still pulled and it would tighten and she would come home with drool all over her face like she couldn't breath. Also, when it tightens it would slide up tight on her nose and be just under her eyes which I could tell was very uncomfortable for her. Could just be the structure of her face. I have adjusted it many times so it's not like I am not fitting it on her properly.

It's does help a great deal for pulling BUT my dog will still pull, it hasn't stopped her completely but at least my arm doesn't hurt anymore. I originally bought it to stop her from lunging at other dogs. It helped for that.

My trainer has a leash aggressive dog (WAY worse then my dog) and he does well on it, behaves, walks nice, and actually has a sence of security when he has it on. She pulled it out to show me and he sat nicely at her feet, excited and ready to go. I guess what I am saying is it depends on the dog.

I really only use it on nice days when I know there will be a ton of people and cars and dogs to distract her. I can tell she is very uncomfortable in it so I normally just use a body harness (for control, doesn't do much for pulling in my case). Unfortunately, any type of harness is a training aid, not a solution. I work more on her commands now then spending time looking for yet another walking aid!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
-

Well, now I`m glad I haven`t bought them yet. I did go to the SPCA but they didn`t have any in stock yet.

What breed of dog is Daisy? And also your trainers?

Logan is a Siberian Husky and Chase is a lab. I can walk them one at a time without much pulling but can`t walk them together as they seem to want to compete against one another. If I leave one at home, the other one goes bezerk ...so I`d really like to find something so I can walk them both together.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM

They let me try it out in front of the store before buying...
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
What breed of dog is Daisy? And also your trainers?
Sorry it took so long to respond, I never remember to click the notify option.

Daisy is a Lab/Hound cross at best guess. She is my pound doggie. She weights 45lbs.

My trainers dog is a basenji mix. He was tied to a tree most of his life and had severe leash and barrier aggression because of it.
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM

just like to add one thing, I still think the easyway head collar is the most effective thing I have tried and could definitely improve your situation, how much though I am not sure. With Daisy, she gets in "drive" mode when she comes across another dog and goes balistic, it's hard to get her to focus on me and stop pulling. If she was just a puller, I would think the easyway would be more effective.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:04 AM

Hey, the pets.ca store sells it too.. It's $45 (including shipping).. I paid $49 for mine.
http://www.pets.ca/onlinestore/modul...od&product=156

Daisy is beautiful.

Last edited by Prin; March 27th, 2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I was speaking with a trainer at the pet fair the other day, about what to do when my Chloe goes ballistic with joy and excitement whenever I have guests. I mean, I'm happy that she loves everyone, but she literally loses her mind when people enter my home.

Confining her behind a gate, telling people to ignore her, then bringing her out when she calms has helped a little bit, but not enough.

The trainer recommended getting a Gentle Leader to put on her when people enter. She said it would put pressure on the back of her neck, similiar to the type of pressure she would feel when her mother corrected her.

I"ve never used anything like this, but at this point I'll try anything.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM
-

Thanks Daisy Mae - Daisy is so adorable....such a sweet face.:love:

Last edited by rainbow; March 27th, 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
-

Quote:
Hey, the pets.ca store sells it too.. It's $45 (including shipping).. I paid $49 for mine.
The SPCA (www.spca.bc.ca) sells them for $34.99 plus $7.95 S & H. I know that`s only a couple of bucks cheaper BUT if you purchase from the SPCA, New Trix, the makers of the EasyWay Headcollar, will donate one to a SPCA shelter as well.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM
-

Lucky Rescue said:
Quote:
The trainer recommended getting a Gentle Leader to put on her when people enter. She said it would put pressure on the back of her neck, similiar to the type of pressure she would feel when her mother corrected her.
It was Logan`s trainer that suggested that I get one for him (she also sold them for $35...the same price as the EasyWay from the SPCA less S&H). It`s not bad, but what I don`t like about it is that the leash hooks on under the neck. With the EasyWay, the leash hooks on at the back of the neck, therefore you wouldn`t pull the dogs head to the side.
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
With the EasyWay, the leash hooks on at the back of the neck, therefore you wouldn`t pull the dogs head to the side.
Right, but I won't be using this for walking my dog - just for when company comes so I want the pressure to be on the back of the neck.
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM
-

The leash hooks on at the back of the neck with the EasyWay and under the neck with the Gentle Leader.
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Yeah, the easyway tightens behind the ears and the leash attaches at the point where it tightens. Sort of like a martingale behind the ears attached to a face harness...
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Guess I shouldn't tell you guys my trainer sold me mine for cost at $26