Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 28th, 2014, 12:39 PM

Is this just allergies, or should I be concerned?

My 10 week old Beagle has had slightly watery/dischargey eyes since we got him (there are always "tear stains" under his eyes), but it seemed to be about on the same level as we humans have when we have "allergy eyes." Since it's springtime in Michigan, I attributed it to that (there is pollen EVERYWHERE). In addition, he occasionally coughs - 1-3 little hacks that sound like he maybe had something in the back of his throat that he's trying to clear. These have been growing in frequency (couple times a day) over the past week, but the pollen count has also been increasing.

Do these just sound like our puppy has seasonal allergy symptoms? Or something worse?

The coughing happens inside and outside, but we've had all our windows open so I'm sure allergens are getting in.
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

If you got your puppy from a reputable breeder I would call the breeder and ask these same questions. If you got your puppy anywhere else I would Vet. Little things can become serious quickly in such little things.
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I feel you should bring your puppy into the vet for a check up there can be a number of reasons why he is coughing , if it was my puppy I would be very concerned .

http://www.webvet.com/main/2012/09/2...r-dog-coughing

I was told my dog had kennel cough when I got him and I was given antibiotic from the shelter . Marty was also done with the pills and when I took him outside to play to would run around 2 or 3 time then pass out on the lawn. I thought he was dead the first he did this. I called the vet and told them my dog is still coughing and passing out and I was told not to worry . I told the vet I wanted Marty to be kept over night so they can watch him. I got a call the next day and was told he had pneumonia and that he needed stronger antibiotic . And I have start all over again giving him pills . When Marty was almost done with the second pills he started to get worst and his cough came back . The shelter had me go to their vet this time and I was told my poor dog had bronchitis and he needed to take more pills.
Marty still has a cough today and get SOB very easy. This is why I would be concerned .

Last edited by Barkingdog; May 28th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 28th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Food and environmental allergies can often cause watering eyes. BUT, as mentioned above, I would pursue the cough, that is not common