Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Exclamation dog biting with growling

My dog is almost 2 and since I moved a year ago and I wasn't able to bring him with me because my apartment doesn't allow dogs he has been getting really aggressive and biting my mom, but he doesn't have any behavior problems when I go to visit. Does anybody know how I can get him to stop biting my mom, he only bites her when he knows he has done something wrong and he's in trouble. We are at out wits end and don't know what to do and don't want to have to put him down because he bites someone really hard and breaks skin. We have tried a muzzle, but he behaves only until the muzzle is taken off. He usually bites her after he has peed in her room and knows she found out, so I know it's because he know's he's in trouble. He is a Silky Terrier and I read that they can be aggressive, but he is always barking and peeing on everything so as you can read from that, he has gotten in trouble a lot. Any advice on any of the problems would be much appreciated.
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Today he bit her because he was growling at my baby cousin and she told him to stop and went to take him outside and as soon as she touched him he bit her. He gets really nasty when he gets in trouble and bares his teeth and growls, I have never had a dog that does this before, so I don't know what to do.
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM
banned user

That dog wouldn't see another day if it was mine. But I'm sure most people will tell you to get some type of dog behaviorist to try to fix it. The dog is completely dominating your mom, and it needs to be reversed.
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Brecker is partly right - this dog is running roughshod right over your mom.

First off - he needs to be confined to a crate or kitchen (or another room where he is close enough to watch but not touch) anytime she has company until this problem is taken care of. I highly recommend crating as this will help with the second thing.

Second - he loses all priveledges in her home. He should not be allowed on furniture and he is not allowed to run free in her house. Period. If your mother is doing something where she can not keep an eye on him - he needs to go in the crate.

Third - he needs to wear a leash in the house at all times for the time being. This will enable her to correct him without getting close enough to get bitten.

I strongly suggest that your mother take a basic obedience class with him.
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

If he is getting in trouble alot as you say,this would mean that he is being reprimanded somehow. What is the reprimand and how is this being done?

If you can advise on how the dog is being disciplined, this will be helpful. From there perhaps we can give you tips to pass to your mom on how to resolve this situation.

I disagree 100% with the attitude that the dog would not last another day. I truly believe you only come to that conclusion when all necessary measures are taken. It's easy to dispose, but it takes time and effort to do a process of elimination to try and instill harmony in this family. If all fails, then you need to consider options. To me, getting 'rid' of something is the very last resort.

Anyways - let us know what the reprimand is as this will be helpful information.
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

You've recieved good information already.

The only thing I want to add is that if someone tells you that your dog needs to be put down because its biting your Mom, they obviously don't realize that dogs are animals FIRST. They have been given teeth for a reason, and we as humans took the step to bring them into our homes.

Because of this, we need to remember that our dogs will act a certain way if we as owners have not been doing our job to train and understand them properly.

If we are bit, first and foremost - it is OUR fault. We have a serious responsibility to take the time to get our dog needed help and to learn how to properly handle our dogs so that this behavior does not continue.

Don't put your dog down, please have him assessed by a proffesional. This will help you and your Mom get the information and understanding needed to properly handle your dog in the future.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecker View Post
That dog wouldn't see another day if it was mine. But I'm sure most people will tell you to get some type of dog behaviorist to try to fix it. The dog is completely dominating your mom, and it needs to be reversed.
I feel sorry for every dog you will own.
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi028 View Post
he only bites her when he knows he has done something wrong and he's in trouble.
First of all , I don't think your dog knows he has done something wrong !
We are at out wits end and don't know what to do and don't want to have to put him down because he bites someone really hard and breaks skin.
the dog doesn't need to get put down , your mom needs to take training courses with him , or rehome him with someone who knows about dogs , sorry but , you and your mom are not reading the dog properly
We have tried a muzzle, but he behaves only until the muzzle is taken off.
a muzzle won't train a dog
He usually bites her after he has peed in her room and knows she found out,
this has to do with the way she corrects him , once she finds the pee , it's too late to do anything about it. She has to get him while he does it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi028 View Post
Today he bit her because he was growling at my baby cousin and she told him to stop and went to take him outside and as soon as she touched him he bit her. He gets really nasty when he gets in trouble and bares his teeth and growls,
Because he knows he'll get hit ?

Really , your mom would need to take him to doggy classes , not just for him , but for her too.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Smile Update

Talked to my mom today and she said that she has stopped yelling at him and he did bite her yesterday when she brought him outside to go potty, but he didn't bite today! I told her that he still sees her as a possible threat so he doesn't want to let his guard down and it will take a while to build the trust back up, but we have progress! Also found a trainer and she wants to do it, so we should be starting that up within the next few weeks. Things are turning around and getting better

Andy (dog)-birthday October 16, 2007
Sophie (cat)-birthday March 20 2009
Annabelle (cat)-passed away March 2010
Missy (cat)-not sure when her birthday is, she was a rescue

Andy lives with my cousin in New Mexico, the cat's live in Missouri with my parents. All are very loved

*Rip Michael, we will all love and miss you very much. Love ya bud*
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

This is a classic case of fear aggression. I'm glad she is willing to work with a trainer. These behaviors will take time to rehabilitate - she has destroyed any trust he may have had in her - and that will take time to overcome. She needs to be aware that every single time she raises her voice, and especially if she hits him, it reinforces his fear and will take just that much longer to undo the damage.

Methods to stop the bad behaviors would depend on the behavior. If she doesn't catch him in the act of peeing, then she cannot correct him at all. I'm actually surprised that she isn't finding spots where he has hidden to pee. Normally a dog that has learned to associate his own waste with his human suddenly becoming violent will learn to hide his waste - in his mind it's not WHERE he went, but that his human saw it so he will make every effort to make sure they don't see it. If she does catch him in the act, a simple "NO" (said firmly, but calmly) while moving him outside will do. Once outside, if he finishes the act, then praise like he just won the lottery for you. And the spots must be cleaned with an enzyme solution to destroy the smell. If the smell is still there, he'll continue to go there. Most of the destructive behaviors are likely frustration and anxiety. I would not advocate for use of the crate since it's been used as a punishment for him. Increase the exercise, confine him in an area of the house where he cannot damage anything (and that can be easily cleaned if he has an accident) when he needs to be confined, use the umbilical training when she is home and he is not confined, practice NILF (nothing in life is free) and definitely work with the trainer.

Tags
aggression, biting, dog