Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:22 AM
Helicopter Champion

At the end of my leash

While playing the ultimate couch potatoe and being far to lazy to search for the remote, a show came on Life Network called "At the end of my leash". Has anyone else seen this?

Premise of the show is a family with a supposed out of control dog. Trainer comes in, yells and belittles .... the humans! I was very happy to see a show that places blame on the people who let the dog get to the point where the family (or one family member) wants to get rid of the dog. He just installed survillance cameras in the house and noticed that they wife was attempting to breed their dog. The trainer just flipped out.

He says at the start that his goal is to 'educate dogs and train people'.

Interesting show.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM

I don't have Life (), but that sounds like an entertaining show.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:47 PM

I saw some one that show when I was on my break at work. (Don't have TV myself). It looks pretty good. I like how he followed up every week or two. It really was all about training the people! It kind of reminded me of a more positive training method spin off of "the dog whisperer". I can say I like this "At the end of my leash" guy way more, but thats just my opinion.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM

Kind of I found a link to the guys personal website.

Brad Pattison
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Saw it once. Wasnt impressed. I found the guy annoying. Hes always pi$$ed off. Just didnt enjoy it.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I saw it a couple of times, so far I like it!! He seems to know his stuff.
I give it

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw half of a show and agree with Scott_B - didn't like the guy. Didn't help that in the episode I saw he asked the people to attach the dogs' leashes - with dogs attached - to hooks on the wall to keep them in place over night. There is not a chance I would ever leave my dog susceptible to strangulation like that.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
...attach the dogs' leashes - with dogs attached - to hooks on the wall to keep them in place over night...
Ok, I must have not seen that one or that part. That is no good. No good at all.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Brad is my parent's dog trainer and I have met him several times. He is VERY knowledgeable, and he is very firm in his belief that 99% of people's problems with their dogs are caused by the people. He is also very firm with the dogs, but he understands them very well.
My parents' dog needed firmness and that's what she got. She loves him and respects him so much. You can just tell when she is around him how she feels for him. There is no fear in that relationship, but he deffinately establishes himself as the alpha, though not cruely. He also understands when a dog can't handle the same level of firmness. He helped Layla overcome her fear of bridges, and he embraced her with a very different demeanor, because she can not take the same level as my parent's dog can take.
I haven't seen the show yet, but I am suprised to hear that he had the owners tie the dog to the wall. Do you know how it was done? Like did you just see him tell them to do it? or did they show how it was set up? I'm curious, because he had my mom tie her dog to a railing near her while she was in the kitchen one day, but he rigged it so that there was a quick release incase of entanglements, so I'm wondering if the same thing was set up,
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyluv View Post
I haven't seen the show yet, but I am suprised to hear that he had the owners tie the dog to the wall. Do you know how it was done? Like did you just see him tell them to do it? or did they show how it was set up? I'm curious, because he had my mom tie her dog to a railing near her while she was in the kitchen one day, but he rigged it so that there was a quick release incase of entanglements, so I'm wondering if the same thing was set up,
Yes I saw that one, the dogs were totally out of control (the owners were clueless) and the dogs went crazy at night, and barked and whined.
Yes the dogs were tied, and they had a bed, and nothing around to entangle themselves on, and also a camera was on them the entire time, so I didn't see anything wrong with it.

His ways work in every show I have seen so far. It's better then re-homing or destroying them IMO.
Aslo he has never hit any of the dog's.

As for looking "pi$$ed off" I just think he's serious, not pi$$ed .

I did see him get loud with one idiot owner, who had no control of anything in her life (work kids dogs spouse ) she was completely stressed and when he found out she was trying to breed her dog's (she couldn't control, nor did she have time for the dog's she already had) He got mad at her.

She was a moron, and her reply to him was "My life is completelty out of control now, so what's the problem with adding more stress to it by having puppies??"

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
As for looking "pi$$ed off" I just think he's serious, not pi$$ed .
I think he truely get pi$$ed off ... at the people, not at the dogs. From the one show I saw (the one which you just described regarding the woman he caught trying to breed) he was seriously pi$$ed off at her.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I finally saw an episode this morning. It was with a family who had an obese beagle who was fed heaps of junk food all day, and got barely any exercise except from the dad and the son, the mother and the daughter, who were home all the time didn'twalk the dog at all and just fed it all day. Brad pretty much banned the dog from the kitchen (where the dog was being snuck her junk food) and got the whole family to participate in exercising the dog. He said something that I really appreciated "This dog didn't choose this family, they chose this dog, and now her life depends on them, so they have to give her what she needs" ( probably not exactly what he said, but pretty close). I've seen a lot of shows where people say that the family should just give up the dog, but he was getting them to give up other things, so they can keep the dog and give her what she needs. He was also very ademant that the dog only eat dog food, and no potato chips or other snack food.

As a side note, Brad feeds his dogs raw, and is also quite knowledgable about dog food. When I convinced my mom that her dog was eating crap, she told me that Brd had been telling her the same thing, and he guided her in choosing a new food (she wasn't and still isn't ready to feed raw) and guided her towards such foods as Evo and Timberwolf.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

The show is on right now if anyone is interested (life or slice channel)

Old April 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Flyball Mom

Hey, he has an Aussie!!!

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:26 PM

I can honestly say I love Brad, and I love his show. I have known him personally for over 5 years now, and I took my dog training cousrse through him a few years ago.

He has been training dogs for over 17 years, and he is the most experienced, knowledgeable trainer I have EVER seen.

In response to the episode with the dogs being "tied to the wall", they weren't tied, they were on coat hooks, and no, there was nothing around them to entangle themselves on. Brad loves dogs, and would never intentionally endanger any of them.

I have seen every episode and spoken with him at legths about them, and let me tell you, each owner deseves what he gives them. The lady breeding her dog, well, as if none of you would have loved to yell at them! He didn't even yell, he defended himself and she was verbally attacking him! He handled it very calmly and professionally in my opinion.

I worked with him on the Jack Russell episode, and those dogs truly were out of control. My dogs, Red and Kia, (heeler and border collie) were also on that episode and they have both been through his training and love him immensely.

Anyways, Brad is an amazing, compassionate, and loving person. He loves dogs, and his life's work has been devoted to them and educating people. He truly is one of a kind.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Heeler's rock! You're back!
I agree with you 100% about Brad. To meet him, and see him interact with the dogs is a complete joy.

On a random side note, if people who have seen the show, have seen the opening credits where he's talking to a dog, that dog is my parent's Belgian, Mia. She's a Star!
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Puppyluv, Mia is your parent's dog?? I LOVE MIA!! She is such a great dog!! I have had the pleasure of working with her over the years, and I have to agree, she is a star!!!

Yeah, I was doing some searching on feedback about Brad's show, and of course a pet lover's forum (such as this one) would have something.

Anyways, Mia loves Brad so much. When I would try and work with her, she'd be looking for Brad all the time. She is such a sweetheart!!