Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Kitty Consort

Bathing a very young kitten - ok?

Is it ok to bathe a 7-weeks old kitten?
My sister got a new little kitten from a neighbour (with six to place.. :sad:.)
They are taking her to vet next week for exam, shots, dewoming, etc.

But - she has fleas. She isnt "lousy".. but they found two on her.
Her other cat and dog are proteced with Revolution, but the fleas could start breeding in the home.

I have some small cat Advantage here.. but asked her to call her vet to confirm what age this could start. Its 8 weeks- so she decided to wait.

I then suggested she could give kitty a gente soap bath, being very careful to dry her thoroughly and keep her warm . This, I believe should kill any fleas that might be on her still.

I just want to be sure that this is safe to do at this tender age?
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, you can do that. But if the kitten only has a few fleas, it would be better to get a flea comb and take them off that way.

Keep a bowl of water right next to you, and when you comb a flea off, dip the comb in the water and the fleas will drown.
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Kitty Consort

Oh yes, a flea comb! I've never used one, and didnt think of this.
I actually have one in my Pet supply box. I'll bring it over to her later today.
That is a better way to go with this, rather than bathing the whole kitten.

Thanks, Lucky!
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:03 PM
banned user

I would actually suggest bathing her, if only to get her used to the idea.
Make her used to the water, so you don't have a fight later on in life when having to bath her.
I bathed my cats when they were kittens, just to get them used to the water.
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Safyre,it's actually not something a cat has to get used to,bathing a cat is not necessary,unless it fell into a mudpile.
I've had cats forever and I never bathed any one of them,except Vinnie,who was white and VERY dirty when he was found.
A fleacomb,will be so much less stressful on a little one and just as effective.
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:20 PM
banned user

Quote:
Safyre,it's actually not something a cat has to get used to,bathing a cat is not necessary,unless it fell into a mudpile.
I definitely agree with that. Even in the case of a little dirt I don't bathe my cats. Snooky rolls around outside on the cement and gets dirty, I never wash him and after an hour of being inside he's already clean!
I did give Sox somewhat of a bath because she was found in a garage and had some oil on her.

Shamrock, if there's only a few fleas I would go with the comb too, if she does wind up being infested I would use Dawn dish soap, very mild and doesn't harm kittens, all you'd have to do is leave the lather on the kitten for 5-10 minutes and it kills them. Good luck!
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Sneaky,I am amazed at Vinnie,he LOVES getting dirty,he rolls around in my garden and ends up looking grey and white I will brush off any loose dirt,but he takes care of the rest and will again be sparkling white...until the next day when we go outside again
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:11 AM
banned user

I am the same way! Totally amazed that he gets himself so clean so fast.... he's the white one with black spots, but his whole underneath is white which gets the most dirty outside.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM
banned user

If bathing a cat is not needed, why is there soo many threads in regards to how to do it?
Flea combing is GREAT! however, does not always get rid of the problem, sometimes a flea bath is needed, with shampoo and all, to kill everything.
We bathe our cats once a year.
Sorry that my advice for on going baths was "not neccesary"

Edit: Rephrased my last line, lost in internet translation, wording made it seem like I was saying something else.

Last edited by Safyre; May 9th, 2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

If you do bath the kitten, be sure to check with the vet if you will be using flea shampoo! It can be fatal to the kitten as it is absorbed through the skin.
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safyre
If bathing a cat is not needed, why is there soo many threads in regards to how to do it?
Flea combing is GREAT! however, does not always get rid of the problem, sometimes a flea bath is needed, with shampoo and all, to kill everything.
Sorry that my advice was "not neccesary"
Bathing a cat is not needed!! And I beleive causes great stress and trauma to a cat!! and they do not get used to it!

2 of my cats were flea infested when I got them and Advantage worked just great.

And get a lice comb from any drug store (much cheaper, and works just as good)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM
banned user

Quote:
Sorry that my advice was "not neccesary"
First off, the question was about a baby kitten, most "flea baths" are for animals way older than the kitty in question and not recommended for kittens of that age. Why are there so many threads about how to do it? I am not sure of the threads you're talking about, but if it's about flea infestation then it isn't a bad idea, along with a good combing. I don't remember any threads about bathing cats regularly and if it were to be mentioned, we'd all say the same thing. It isn't necessary to bathe cats for no reason. They do a great job on their own!

Btw, you shouldn't twist peoples words and then quote them. Chico said bathing a cat wasn't necessary, not your advice.
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Exactly,Sneaky
I got one little black longhaired kitten once(Sammy RIP)from HS,he had earmites,was covered in fleas..but the vet took care of it,I am not sure how,but he came back with no fleas.
Sammy passed at 19yrs old and that was the only time he had a bath,he was longhaired and I brushed him every day,that's all that was needed.
Vinnie,other than getting dirty outside,also has bad bathroom-habits,his bum is always dirty after pooping.He looks very indignant but lets me clean his bum with some wet papertowel
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Vinnie,other than getting dirty outside,also has bad bathroom-habits,his bum is always dirty after pooping.He looks very indignant but lets me clean his bum with some wet papertowel
Try adult wipes (they are flushable) I get mine at walmart.
It's alot easier then paper towel My Boowee is long haired and often has dirty shorts (messy bum) and the flushable's are great!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old May 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM

I don't have a cat, but I just want to ask-- if you're not supposed to bathe a cat, what do you do when they are greasy? I've visited people and you just don't want to touch their cat. The fur is like a dog's who hasn't been washed in two years. You know what I mean? What are you supposed to do then?
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I'v never encountered a cat who was greasy. They usually are maticulas about keeping their coats clean (hence the furballs). If I do notice that Jasmine needs a little help (usually when it's sheding season and she has dandruff) I usually take a damp paper towl and just wipe her off. But I'v never had a problem with fleas. I think the flea comb is the best idea. If you brush your cat regularly you shouldn't have a problem with grease (even short hair cats need a good brushing once a week at least).

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks for your input, all.

I recommended the flea-comb method, with a bowl of water- instead of the bath, and they opted to do that. As all my cats are light in colour.. I just do a "visual" check for fleas, but I know these types of combs work well.
In just a few days, this little kitten is seeing the vet anyway, and should be ok to start on the Advantage very soon after.

Safyre, I had posted about bathing my cat recently, asking for tips on this. Maybe that is the thread you were meaning.

Of my three long-haired cats, only one of them is ever bathed - and that's only two or three times a year. Even for a Persian, he has an extra-long extra-thick massive coat - like a woolly bear. It seems more fur than he can look after himself, and I like to "freshen him up" every so often

I personally believe that the "average" healthy cat- short or long haired - are able to look after their own daily hygiene very nicely and that baths are neither necessary or desirable.
It's very true that if you DO plan on bathing your cat on a regular and ongoing routine, starting them as young kittens is mandatory.
Many show cats, for example, are bathed and blow-dried every four weeks. some even more. Accustomed from kittenhood on, they handle this with ease.

But if its only an "occassional" bath they are having - they wont remember the last one.
The last cat bath I tried two weeks ago was a fiasco. He sure didnt recall his Christmas bath, but was traumatized and terrifed He wound up scratching my arm quite severely. A stressful and trying experience for both of us- I was sorry I embarked on it. :sad:
So, barring an emergency - I'm not planning on putting my guy through this ordeal again. I'll continue with his daily combing, and use a wet cloth or spray wipe-down if I feel he needs a freshening up.
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My cats have never gotten "greasy" but my oldest boy Lucky does have a bit of dandruff, so I wipe him with a warm wash cloth

Old May 9th, 2005, 06:15 PM
banned user

Happycats - Maybe none of your cats have ever gotten used to it, mine did .

Obviously, some ppl feel that bathing cats is not nessecary ... some feel the same about dogs. The OP asked if it was OK to bathe a kitten, answer is; yes. I also gave some advice on if they were to continue to give them baths. Sorry, shouldn't have given the extra advice. Didn't know cat bathing was such a controversial topic. Sorry.
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Funny safyre, but topics seem to become controversial when you make them that way!
Why don't you just relax and don't get so snippy.
We are all here to help others, and get help from others and maybe have some fun in the process, so please don't get so defensive

Old May 9th, 2005, 07:09 PM
banned user

The only comment I see that someone might see as controversial is "If bathing a cat is not needed, why is there so many threads in regards to how to do it? " Thought I had read another thread about cat bathing recently. And I was correct in that, as per Shamrocks response. I don't remember quite the same responses of 'bathing=bad' on that thread. I had no idea some ppl felt that cats can never get used to water and you are cruel and stressing them out if you do bathe them. My cats choose to join us in the shower, they like water. Thats my life, and my experience.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:00 PM
banned user

Quote:
Thats my life, and my experience.
Exactly! So why is it a problem for you when someone disagrees with what you do? Then you apologize and get defensive and try to make it look like we are all harping on you. Why?

Prin... my cats never get greasy... the only ones I've ever known to be greasy or have oily coats are really old cats, maybe ones that were ill or just did not take care of their coats well on their own.

Last edited by Sneaky2006; May 9th, 2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:13 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

ok, so Kitties don't need baths all the time. . .thats been established. . .

. . .is there any way to get cats comfortable with water for those 'just in case senarios' . . .

. . .I don't have any intenions of bathing Marty and Minou any time soon, but I would like them not to be scared of water either. . . .
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
banned user

My question about other threads came off defensively, not sure hat else to say about that.
I then reacted badly as I felt that someone was telling me I was being cruel to my animals, and reacted accordingly. It was the comment "Bathing a cat is not needed!! And I beleive causes great stress and trauma to a cat!! and they do not get used to it!" that really got my back up. That is furthering the notion that all cats hate water, and its just not true. I guess the topic of cats and water is a big pet peeve for me.
And I am surprised that more ppl don't know what Prin is talking about with greasy cats, my cats get greasy, i didn't bathe them much last year (haha, too busy trying to learn to bathe the dog) and they are greasy, oily, it sucks.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:51 PM
banned user

JDG - OK, whether or not this is popular, I am still going to answer your question about cats, and water.
When my cats were kitten, i started them in the sink, just letting them in and out of the sink, with no water. Then i started to run a bit of water, they would love to drink from the lil stream. After getting them used to that, i would turn the water up more, therefore getting thier paws wet. Yes, they would jump out when all thier paws got wet at first, but then i would just play with the stream of water and they would be interested enough to come back and play.
To be competely honest, my first cat, Missy, I got when i was 7 years old, she ALWAYS loved water, her fave place was the sink, and she always loved the tub. When we got our next cat, Zeppo, we were talking to the vet about baths and how much Missy loved the water and thats when i found out that supposedly all cats hate water. *shrugs* so we figured maybe we could make another missy by slowly showing her water,and it worked!
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:00 PM

Some dogs are traumatized in baths all their lives too, but you can't get by without bathing a doggy...

Yes some kitties are greasy. VERY greasy. And their homes are clean and they are well fed. They must secrete more of something that other cats don't and maybe they just can't keep up.

I feel bad for these kitties. They probably don't get caressed nearly as much as the clean ones. I know my doggies get REALLY greasy simply because so many people pet them everyday and for a long time. I bathe Jemma way more than Boo because my boyfriend is constantly petting her. She is starved for male attention. Boo gets pet at the park all the time. He parks himself on the bench beside some poor unsuspecting person, and they are forced to gratify his furry desires... I can't imagine not being able to give them a bath...
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:43 PM
banned user

I think there is something tot he idea that older cats get greasy... Zeppo is just over 10 now, and she is much greasier than she used to be. I don' like petting her much for that reason... she also was my brothers cat, so i've never been as clsoe to her.
Wetting her with one os Justices wipes doesn't get the greasiness out, only thing that does is bathing.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
My question about other threads came off defensively, not sure hat else to say about that.
I then reacted badly as I felt that someone was telling me I was being cruel to my animals, and reacted accordingly. It was the comment "Bathing a cat is not needed!! And I believe causes great stress and trauma to a cat!! and they do not get used to it!"
That's what I posted, and if you look back, you got defensive long before I posted! (you got defensive with Chico). And no where did I say you were cruel!
Quote:
that really got my back up. That is furthering the notion that all cats hate water, and its just not true. I guess the topic of cats and water is a big pet peeve for me.
May be a pet peeve for you, but reality is, cats hate water!
Quote:
And I am surprised that more ppl don't know what Prin is talking about with greasy cats, my cats get greasy, I didn't bathe them much last year (haha, too busy trying to learn to bathe the dog) and they are greasy, oily, it sucks.
I have 5 cats, and have NEVER had "greasy" ones! My 17 year old has a bit of dandruff, and a wipe down with a warm wash cloth is sufficient. I couldn't imagine bathing an older cat, I know it would probably kill mine.

Old May 10th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh well,I do not get my back up We all have different experiences,I am 61 have had cats forever and as I said Vinnie is the only one who needed a thorough cleaning and only that one time...
Vinnie and Chico are actually not afraid of water,as long as it's not a bath..they play with the hose outside and sometimes get completely soaked,but it's their own doing,they are not being forced.
Rocky is terrified of water..
I've also never had a greasy cat,Chico gets dandruff,but he's black so it's easily seen.
I brush them often,Vinnie sheds like crazy,his hair is a little longer than a regular short-haired cat,Rockys fur is so dense and thick,he has a couple of matts around his bum area...I've been trying to cut them out,but he is very sensitive about his jewel area
Happycats,thank's for the tip,I'll try those adult wipes on Vinnie..it's always a race to get to him,before he cleans himself on my carpet
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM

My two cats hate bath too. When I first adopted them, I took them for a bath because they were in the communal room and don't know if they have fleas or not. The second time I took them for a bath is when I brought them back to Hong Kong with me. After 15 hours of flight, the blankets I gave them had quite a lot of urine. The third time is when I thought they had fleas because I got all these rashes on my legs (weird because I have been using Revolution). Turns out it was the humid and hot weather I am allergic to. The last time I took them to the salon, the lady there told me Mama actually peed herself when the lady took her near the bathtub. The second time when I took her for a bath, she peed on our way to the salon. Sabrina would climb onto me (making all these holes on my clothes! ) and cried. So from now on, no more baths for them unless there's no other way around!!!

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)