Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM

Acana Old vs Acana New (2008)

Absolutely I can provide you some details!

The changes occurred in the summer/fall of 2008. I will provide some of the details on the Acana Small Breed Adult:
New formula had smaller kibble size and harder kibbles.
Old formula 28% protein, new formula 33%.
Old formula single protein source, new formula 3 sources.
Old formula didn't have salmon, new formula did.
New formula had lower omega 6 and omega 3.
New formula had proportionately much lower omega 3, omega 3 sources are expensive.

All this happened overnight, new stock came in with different bags, different ingredients, different guaranteed analysis, same name, but built for different dogs and unfair for any unsuspecting owner who assumed a new bag of the "same" food wouldn't be a sudden drastic diet change.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:31 AM
-

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I lost my internet.

And now I'm really tired but hope you can provide a list of ingredients to show the exact changes in the formulas. Off the top of my head, from the info you did provide, I'm thinking that you may be confusing the orignal Acana with the grain free Acana Provincial.

I'll check here again tomorrow.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:36 AM

For anyone wondering what on earth this thread is doing in existence in 2011, it was brought up on another thread that dog food companies have done this a few times in recent years, often concurrent with a change in ownership or management of the dog food company. Another poster requested details of the Acana change, but that information was off-topic for that thread.

Sometimes the changes are for the better, sometimes for the worse. In my case the food I loved and promoted to others became no longer suitable for my dogs for several reasons. In addition, a 5% increase in protein, plus the addition of many new major ingredients would have affected a large portion of their customers.

I wrote to the manufacturer at the time, and they did not respond.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I lost my internet.
I was wondering where you went.

Quote:
And now I'm really tired but hope you can provide a list of ingredients to show the exact changes in the formulas.
Not sure if I kept an old label around this long.

Quote:
Off the top of my head, from the info you did provide, I'm thinking that you may be confusing the orignal Acana with the grain free Acana Provincial.
One day they sold and manufactured ONLY what I call the "old" formula, next time I was in the distributor's store they sold and manufactured ONLY what I call the "new" formula. I don't believe the new formula was grain free, when I look for the "old" label I'll look for the pamphlet on the "new." but as I say this was a couple years back...
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
-

I think it was in 2008 that they released Pacifica (sp?) as well Rainbow. But they also overhauled their ingredients on the regular Acana in the fall of that year as well.

However, SIA I think you may be mistaken in your assertion that they did so "overnight". That implies a level of irresponsibility and callous disregard for quality service which didn't and doesn't fit with my impression of Acana so I went and did some checking.

I went back to some historical threads in another forum I belong to and found that Acana did in fact announce, in advance, that changes would be made to their existing formula. Apparently, they posted an announcement in July on their website, the ingredient list was posted in August and the food hit the shelves in late August/ September.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Apparently, they posted an announcement in July on their website, the ingredient list was posted in August and the food hit the shelves in late August/ September.
The trouble is, I had no reason to visit their website in July or August, and where I bought from had a high enough turn-over rate that between one purchase and the next there was none of the old kind left on the shelves when I went in to buy a new bag for myself and 4 of their smaller, what size were they at that time, 5-pounders? for puppy packs. They did have some of a couple of their older varieties left over, but not the ones I needed and not ones close enough to be compatible.

I never thought checking their website on a regular basis was something I might need to be doing. I thought this is a great company, I can expect consistency, etc, etc. If I remember correctly, Acana was sold at that time?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
-

Staying informed as a consumer is difficult, yes. But it seems to me, that the blame should be more properly placed on your retail provider not the manufacturer as they are, in my experience, given plenty of lead time and notice regarding product changes and their effective dates.

I'm sorry SIA, I don't understand your last question. Was Acana sold at the time? Ummm...yes.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM

I mean the company Acana, or the Acana line, sold to new owners.

I was buying from the Champion Feeds that I lived near, not a retailer.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
-

I think you are asking whether Acana (the product)was bought by Champion> As far as I can recall Champion has always made Acana, it was never a separate company overtaken by Champion. Rainbow is an expert on their foods however, and I hope she will correct me if I am off.

Is "Champion Feeds" a Co-op Feed Store or do you mean that you purchased it directly from the manufacturing facility in Alberta?

Quite honestly, I surprized that they didn't respond to your query. I know Rainbow has never had an issue with correspondence with Champion/ Acana/ Orijen ~ she has stated they've always been incredibly prompt, polite and helpful in her many dealings with them.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:00 PM

I don't know exactly what happened. Something. I know that's not very useful!

The place I bought from was called Champion Feeds, I'm not sure if it's still there as I know they did close most of their own stores. It was not the location where their dog food was manufactured, no, but definitely owned/managed/named by the same company.

When they didn't respond at all, it really made me lose respect for them. I hope they took my letter to heart anyway but no way to know.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
-

I think you mean Champion Feed Services. It is the mothership to Champion Pet Foods. I wasn't aware they had opened a retail location. It must have been a HUGE place given all the other large animal food and bird food they manufacture. Like a Costco for farmers. Where is that if you don't mind me asking?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:40 PM

That "mothership" comment makes me wonder if the sale of Acana wasn't between different parts of Champion. There was a feedmill too, yes, but the retail section very small and I don't remember seeing birdseed there at all, though I'm sure a person could have ordered it in.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
-

Yeah... it sounds like a co-op to me.

Champion Pet Foods has been around for at least 25 years and as noted, I believe Acana has always been their product. As far as I'm aware, Champion Feed Services has no other pet food division and never has but Rainbow may know more about that.

I'm sorry you let that one incidence so badly coloured your opinion of them.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
-

I don't know any more than you do mums.

Champion Pet Foods has been making pet food since 1975 at their own manufacturing plant and I've never questioned the connection between both companies.

Regarding the formula change when they introduced the Acana Provincial line I don't believe that they cheapened any of their ingredients. If I find some time I could try to find out the exact changes.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
The place I bought from was called Champion Feeds, I'm not sure if it's still there as I know they did close most of their own stores. It was not the location where their dog food was manufactured, no, but definitely owned/managed/named by the same company.

When they didn't respond at all, it really made me lose respect for them. I hope they took my letter to heart anyway but no way to know.
So Champion Feeds had their own manufacturing plant and also separate retail outlets?

Were the retail outlets all in Alberta and where exactly is the manufacturing plant?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah... it sounds like a co-op to me.
If Champion Feed Services is a co-op or not I wouldn't know. All the same to me!

Quote:
I'm sorry you let that one incidence so badly coloured your opinion of them.
Well it was sort of 3 incidences all in one, many of their formula changes I didn't agree with, they didn't give sufficient notice, then they never replied to my letter. I'm sure I had sufficient reason to leave. I know others had a problem at the time as well, but also those who, like Rainbow, are currently using their foods and happy with it.

The worst part is that the way I understand it, changes like this aren't by any means rare. What about the safety of dogs with allergies/sensitivities, where today their food is chicken and rice, and next bag is chicken and rice now with salmon, pork, oats and barley mixed in?

Rainbow, if you can find the ingredients list for early and late 2008, as well as guaranteed analysis, for sure. Maybe try contacting them, if they might have that info at their fingertips?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
-

Quote:
Rainbow, if you can find the ingredients list for early and late 2008, as well as guaranteed analysis, for sure. Maybe try contacting them, if they might have that info at their fingertips?
I have no problem contacting them but I also would like to get clarification from them about the Champion Feed Services connection at the same time so was hoping you would tell me where their plant is located.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
-

Quote:
If Champion Feed Services is a co-op or not I wouldn't know. All the same to me.
No. What I mean is that I believe you were buying your dog food at a Feed Store. A Co-op. The fact that it may have said Champion on the silo doesn't mean the retailer is necessarily Champion, it simply the Co-op advertising the feed that is sold by the Co-op. Many Co-ops have single source agreements with feed services and advertising the brand is part of the agreement.

To my knowledge Champion Feed Services do not and never have had pet food manufacturing plants. And, as far as I know none of their three manufacturing locations have retail outlets of any kind.

Quote:
Well it was sort of 3 incidences all in one, many of their formula changes I didn't agree with, they didn't give sufficient notice, then they never replied to my letter. I'm sure I had sufficient reason to leave.
Interesting. The folks on the other forum all had positive comments about the changes to the ingredients. They felt quite strongly that the increase in price / smaller bag was justified given the increase in better quality ingredients and higher nutrition values. That was in regards to the Acana, I can't recall the reaction to Pacifica.

Perhaps, your letter never reached them SIA. If you mistakenly sent it to the Feed Store from which you purchased your dog food, they may not have sent it to Champion Feed Services for it to be passed along to Champion Pet Foods. And, these things do happen.

On a slightly I see Champion Pet Foods / Acana is releasing another product this year: http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just as a small insert - If you have a good rapport with the pet food store where you buy your food they are more than willing to supply you with any notification from their suppliers about upcoming changes in ingredients. In fact the one I frequent most often posts it well in advance of any changes. That way no customer is blindsided.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
-

Quote:
... about the Champion Feed Services connection... tell me where their plant is located.
Good point.

Perhaps the store at which you buy your dog food might know SIA. Assuming you still shop there that is.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM

It was Champion Feed Services I went to. Driving past you would never guess they had a pet retail store in there.

The letter was sent electronically to customerservice@championpetfoods.com.

Yes, smaller bags/higher prices did come about at the same time.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
-

Quote:
It was Champion Feed Services I went to. Driving past you would never guess they had a pet retail store in there.
And, where exactly is Champion Feed Services?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Funny, the Champion Feed Services I knew about did not sell dog food. They sold everything related to farm animals but not dog food. Now I'm really .

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Funny, the Champion Feed Services I knew about did not sell dog food. They sold everything related to farm animals but not dog food. Now I'm really .
You and me both but it looks like it's a secret.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

rainbow, if you google Champion Feed Services, you can find locations. There are at least two in Canada. And when you call Champion Pet Foods, I'm sure they'll be able to give you any other locations they might have and answer any questions.

MMM, do you know why the Acana link on the homepage points to the Orijen product? The only way I can get to info on Acana is through the new product link you posted. Acana is still on the market while they do the change, isn't it?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I know they were out in AB when I lived there, but didn't know they were in ON and like you guys thought they were really for feed for farm animals.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is it possible they're unassociated with Champion Pet foods except that they carried their products? We have feed mills here that carry dog food, but aren't necessarily associated with a manufacturer.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
rainbow, if you google Champion Feed Services, you can find locations. There are at least two in Canada. And when you call Champion Pet Foods, I'm sure they'll be able to give you any other locations they might have and answer any questions.
Yes, I know, but I want to know where Champion Feed has their manufacturing plant so hope SIA will let me know. I don't want to contact Champion Pet Foods before that since I have had such a good reply response from them in the past and don't want to jeoparadize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Is it possible they're unassociated with Champion Pet foods except that they carried their products? We have feed mills here that carry dog food, but aren't necessarily associated with a manufacturer.
I don't know since I don't live in AB .... hopefully the OP will be able to answer that question as well.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

The letter was sent electronically to customerservice@championpetfoods.com.

Yes, smaller bags/higher prices did come about at the same time.
Champion foods is in Morinville, just outside of the beautiful city of St Albert, where I lived for many years and drove by their plant many, many times. Yes Champion Pet Foods does manufacture Acana as well as Orijen and I am very, very surprised they didn't respond to your letter. They are quite good at getting back to any customer inquiries. I still have friends in Morinville so I can contact them to see if they know anybody working at Champion Pet foods and let them know that you did not get a satisfactory response to an e-mail. They do pride themselves on customer service.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Champion foods is in Morinville, just outside of the beautiful city of St Albert, where I lived for many years and drove by their plant many, many times. Yes Champion Pet Foods does manufacture Acana as well as Orijen and I am very, very surprised they didn't respond to your letter. They are quite good at getting back to any customer inquiries. I still have friends in Morinville so I can contact them to see if they know anybody working at Champion Pet foods and let them know that you did not get a satisfactory response to an e-mail. They do pride themselves on customer service.
L4H, we know that Champion Pet Foods is in Morinville and their customer service is excellent imo.

It is Champion Feed Services we need more info about if your friends know anything about them please let me know if the OP doesn't provide the information on their location first.