Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 29th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Jin did "stuff at vet"

hahahha..Well Jin was ok when we got in the car. This was his first vet visit in 3 weeks. We went to get his last shot. Right when we got there he started peeing everywhere in the vets office and patient room. I found it pretty funny but my mom kept me in line and told me to ease the dog and woo it to calm down. I did and it barely worked. He was shaking so much that he fur couldve fallen off! After he got the shot. The vet told me she remebered Jin and that he didnt have proper socilization. I never knew about this. The owners last time didnt tell me about this. How do you properly sociallize a Dog?
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:47 AM

You take the dog out to meet and greet as many people, dogs and situations as possible. Take the dog for a walk around the outside of a mall. Carts, cars, strollers etc.... Have everyone that wants to pet your dog, pet it. Also have them give it a small treat.

Take it walks and meet as many dogs of different size, colour etc. that you can. Taking the dog to obedience school is a great way to socialize. Call you local school and ask what they recommend.

Heather
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Jindo, it's important that a puppy is brought out to meet other dogs and the wrorld around them. The puppy should carefully be introduced to bike, traffic, people, animals, noises, etc. If the puppy is scared and nervous, take it slowly, it's important that you don't console the dog when it is fearful - this is telling the dog that it's alright to be afraid! Many people will have great input on how to socialize your dog properly, just remember it takes time and should not be rushed.

I find that this book is excellent for people starting out with dogs! I have recommended it numerous times on this board so far, and I had fabulous results!

"Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Killcommons and Sarah Wilson

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...07856?v=glance

It's VERY important that you and Jin start your obedience class, unless you have already - but I think you said that wasn't availble until Sept...?
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Didn't the trainer at the obed school notice this? I'm sure he/she will be able to help you and give advice.

Socializing a 6 month old dog has to be done right, or you can make the fear worse.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the socializing is the fun part of dog training. Just remember it's for the benefit of the dog and approach it accordingly.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:03 PM

At the trainer he was nervous but he didnt pee all over the place. I think i have a bad trainer. Im going to go to one more class and quit and go to K-9 academy.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Peeing is fear and submission. There's been a couple times my cat has peed on my lap while waiting for the vet. Now, I scoop her litterbox and put in fresh litter before we go to the vet. She always comes running to use the fresh litter box. Then I take her to the vet. It's helped. Dogs are easier to have pee before going in. Remember, you don't know what memories Jin has about going to the vet previously.

Something else I have noticed. Puss-Puss always sheds alot when I take her in. I get cat hair all over me. Now I comb her with the flea comb as we're waiting to help remove the loose hair and to calm her.