Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Doggie Wench

Unhappy Ava and Penny

This is really difficult for me to be writing. Ava and Penny, after 2 1/2 years of us being able to manage their squabbles, have gotten into a serious fight yesterday morning. For the first time, I wasn't able to distract or call one of them off. It went on for at least 10 minutes without a pause...this time it wasn't simple quarreling amongst them. Once I finally managed to get between them and my son able to get a hold of Ava to help me separate them, we realized how bad the damage was. They were both brought to the vet clinic where their wounds were shaved and cleaned, Penny needing staples to close a gash on her leg. Ava sustained injuries to her entire face (deep punctures); and front legs...Penny to her left leg, shoulder and stomach.

The vet confirmed this was as serious as fights get...we can't let them have any contact with each other, ever.

I'm not looking for advice on how to deal with this, we've sought help from behaviorists/trainers, from trusted friends with experience...I've read every friggen book out there...we've tried everything. I just want you, those who have gotten to know my girls, what is happening.

My head hurts from trying to figure what went wrong yesterday, what else we could have done, and where to from here. We're devastated .
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

*huge hugs* for you and your girls, its not an easy situation , we dealt with it for 3 yrs, its a tough situation and a sad one. Its so hard loving two dogs when they fight each other, my heart breaks for you and the choices you have to make. Good luck and you know we're behind you in whatever you chose to do. Did you get hurt in the scuffle??
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Thank you Melinda. After 10 minutes, I could tell they were exhausted, probably why I was able to force myself between them without getting hurt. I used a shovel to separate their heads (no, I didn't hurt them) and put my body between them. My son took hold of Ava's collar and led her to the garage while I blocked Penny from going after her. We couldn't chance taking Penny as she would be the one to most likely re-direct.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Doggie Wench

Winston, Breeze, thank you. Overwhelmed is accurate .
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Winston, Breeze, thank you. Overwhelmed is accurate .
don't forget to breath
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

OMG of course you are devastated Sometimes they just can't get along, regardless of the handler. I can only imagine how heartbroken you are. I wish you wisdom and peace in any decisions/arrangements you end up figuring out.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

LP I just want to send as many hugs to you as I can! I know how much you must be hurting. You are probably a tad overwhelmed with it all.

Please now your friends are here to listen and not make judgements.

I hope they are both okay now. I hope the trainers and behaviourist can help you come up with a solution.

Thinking of you mf!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh no, Lp . What a difficult position this has put you in, I don't envy you.

I have to keep Sweet Pea and Puddles separated which is hard enough, I can't imagine keeping to dogs apart.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'm so sorry LP, how horrible that must have been for everyone .

I totally trust that you will make the best decisions for the family. All decisions would be made with so much love in your heart for both dogs and that is always the best.

Old May 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, what a difficult situation. How heartbreaking. <<hugs>> and prayers as you decide the best course.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
-

Again LP , I am so sorry.

I saw for myself yesterday afternoon how bad the injuries are.

I know how hard you have worked with these dogs , to make everything ok. At this point , there's nothing more you can do. As the vet and his staff told you , I also think it would be best to rehome Ava.

Separating the dogs wouldn't be fair for any of them , for you , and for your family. And accidents could still happen , and I don't want to think what could happen ... the next fight could be fatal for one dog.

Only once did I had to separate dogs. A foster , for only a month. It was hard on myself , the foster , and my dogs.

You did so much for Ava , you only took her in to help someone that was in a bad situation , you were only suppose to have her for a few months , and ended up having to keep her. I know you love Ava and didn't mind keeping her but , you were put in front of a situation were you didn't really have a choice.....

And I must add , Ava is a very good girl , she's ok with most dogs , and loves humans. I just think she should go to a nice calm couple , with no other dogs so she can retire and get all the loving she can get.

I know , it kills you to read this but there's no other options.

Last edited by Frenchy; May 5th, 2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
-

You must be totally distraught LP, big hugs to you .

Lately you mentioned that Lucky had been a bit squabbly, which is out of character for him....I'm wondering if that boy of yours with his 6th sense noticed the tension building up between the girls and it was his way of trying to lay down the law a bit.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I am very sorry LP that this has happened ..
I know that you have tried everything until your head explodes. researching, getting advice and all,
it must be beyond devastation for you..
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Animal Beh. Ph.D Student

I am so very sorry to read this post.

to all.
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Senior Contributor

luckypenny, you have my sympathy. Quite scary, isn't it? They sound such nasty injuries. Handle them very gently because bites can cause massive bruising. For instance, when Cuddles got Sweetie at the top of her shoulder, the bruising went from there down to the elbow, probably two handspans wide. I don't envy you having to decide how to handle things from here on, I kept both my girls but in hindsight probably shouldn't have. Too much worry for us and the dogs. What breed are yours, are they big dogs? Gentle hugs for both the poor girls, they'd be so sore.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Luckypenny, you have my sympathy as well. I am so sorry it happened but it was inevitable. I know it is a very hard decision to make but it would make you happier at the end knowing that both girls are happy living seperately.
See it as a marriage that just can't work. These two need to be seperate.
I see this as you being the child in a bad marriage (mine actually) and as much as it hurts to see them seperate, in the long run they will be happier and so will you.
Can you imagine living every day not knowing when the next fight happens, and will it be fatal..??
This is never easy, especially knowing how much you love these guys..
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
-

One of the most extraordinary books I have ever read ~ one that resonated so profoundly that I often had to put it down because it grabbed me and shook me by the very neck of my soul ~ reminds me of you.

If a Dog's prayers Were Answered Bones Would Rain From the Sky ~ Suzanne Clothier.

I know you don't want training advice and I am certainly not in a position to provide it but, if you haven't already, read this book. Whenever my heart needs a little healing or I know need to re-frame my thinking but don't know how, I pick it up.

kiddo. I think we know this is not a passing intellectual interest or even a need to be a super-do-gooder with you. We know it's a life you have chosen and committed yourself in very deep and meaningful way. We know and respect that you do what you do out of love. Thanks for telling us.
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM
-

Just sending lots more and your way.
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

LP i'm so sorry this happened. you have my heart and thoughts with you. I'm here for you when every you need a hug or a ear. wish i could give you a world's biggest hug right now.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM

LP

There is nothing more that I can add to what has already been said. You will do what is right because you are a very wise person who will think it through.

Here's hoping that both pups recover both physically and emotionally and that you take the time to breathe

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.