Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 31st, 2005, 12:21 AM

My dog is getting eaten by bugs

We live on a farm right beside a river. The bugs out here are pretty bad. Does anyone know what to use on a dog to keep the bugs off. I don't want to use human bug spray on her becuase I am scared it might irritate. The bugs are musqitoes and blackflys.

Roxy is a short haired Jack Russell, she has no fur on her stomac, that is the only place they seem to be biting her. They are biting her lots her stomac is covered in bites. The blackflys take chunks out of the skin.

Keeping her indoors all summer is obviously not an option.

Old May 31st, 2005, 02:53 AM
Senior Contributor

We live on 5 acres of wooded area and the bugs are pretty thick this time of year, we use something called Bush Splash that I get at the vet but you can also get it at health food stores, the kids like it too because it dosn't have a strong smell, it seems to work good for the blackflies and skeeters.
Hope this helps
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:55 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My MIL's dogs ears were being chewed to bleeding by fly's in the summer. So I went to the Co-op (farming supply store) and used this roll-on stuff (which was actually for horses) the vet said it was OK to use on the dog. It worked great. Maybe check you local farming supply store, because they have alot of different bug repellents for livestock (check with your vet to make sure it's OK to use on dogs)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:54 AM

Thanks, I will check it out right away.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I would ask your vet what to use. My dogs have always been safe because I am one of those pale, thin skinned people who must have VERY sweet blood. Who needs Citronella at a cocktail party if I am there. I am also allergic to all of the anti-bug sprays - you name it. I don't sit outside - so our only exposure is really only on our walks, and the bugs jump to me - including bees. But my Eskimo does like to swallow bees - although he hides behind me for protection after alerting me to other bugs. I have Benadryl for him just in case, but have the feeling that it won't be necessary as I will be stung and can't use it. Hope you find something that works. I know all about short-haired dogs with naked tummies - my mini Dachshunds were that way and actually my Eskimo has a quite the naked pink tummy that he loves to show off to me. It is covered in sunscreen as am I.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

bug repellant

I posted a similar question just now BEFORE I read this post! I am curious about a product called Natrapel which is citronella based, I think, and contains no DEET. I use it myself and it works fairly well. Just wondering if it can be used on dogs. Heck, they will smell lemony fresh!
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:07 AM

I use Zodiac shampoo and Program tabs in addition to Interceptor for heatworm. My sheltie takes three brewers yeast pills daily that also contain EFAs and GARLIC...garlic is supposed to repel bugs from biting. Maybe mom could use a garlic supplement as well. When we lived in Maine, the kids and I were always eaten alive...my husband never got bit. My middle son had 30 bites at one time!!!! I came in second with 24. My oldest son had about 10-15 bites. Also, have you tried traps around your yard? keeping standing water to a minimum? (bird baths, puddles, etc) Good luck!