Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 20th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Revolution for Cats....No RX needed so why...

My Vets office told me a prescription was no longer needed for Revolution. So why is it when I go to Dr. Fosters/Smith they require an RX from my vet for me to get it? Its a bit cheaper in quantity or I wouldnt bother.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont have an answer, just more questions, I always see that ad on tv about getting your pets meds online or in th mail, like revolution, advantage, etc. I always get Rocky Sentinal, buy it at the vets. it costs almost $100.oo so I picked it up last week and through being so stressed out about money, pit bull bans, and personal stuff, mistakenly through the bag out from the vets with his sentinal and microchip tags etc.!!! I am now wondering if theres a cheeper way to replace his meds, ofcourse if its not safe I wont do it. Ill go get another box from the vets, but man how could I be so dumb??? Well at least its five more air miles on my mastercard!!! I have wondered every time I see those ads though. He has had his heartworm test and its negative so is there a cheeper way????
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:27 PM

I know my mom has gotten her heartworm pills for her basset online, but she had them shipped to her us postal box. The pills were shipped UPS and got there over night. It worked out much cheaper then the vet and her vet actually recommended it to save money I am getting all my guys pills online too
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Some vets siply don't follow prescription rules that strictly. I somehow doubt that all the other heartworm preventatives would still be under prescription and not revolution. They lose their license if they are caught not tracking the prescription drugs... The vet also has to be sure that your dog doesn't have the parasite your preventing too, and only a careless vet would bypass that.
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM

I use it for fleas, ticks, worms and earmites. Didnt know it was even used for heartworm. I am really confused though. Found another site that says it requires prescription...........
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM

Here: http://www.revolution4cats.com/displ...ies=FL&sec=050
I think you should need a prescription. It's still a pesticide and people should learn how to administer it properly. No prescription means any Jo off the street can buy it and use it...

The site I posted from pfizer doesn't say anything about ticks...
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:07 PM

You can order revolution or other flea/worm products from an online site called Vet Products Direct located in Australia. I have been ordering Revolution for my two cats for a while. Even with shipping the total is still cheaper than buying from vets. The reason why they don't require a prescription is that the prescription policy only takes place in US and Canada. The website for Vet Products Direct is http://www.vetproducts.com.au/

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)
Old June 4th, 2005, 01:42 AM

Invermectin (like in Heartgard) is RX only in the US for dogs, but not for horses. It is even present in nonprescription products. There are now generic alternatives available for some pet meds, just like with humans. If you do order online make sure that it is a reputable company. I have ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith and 1800PetMeds. Both were quick!! F&S you can order one pill at a time (or each) and the shipping is cheap. Good Luck!!!