Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 30th, 2016, 01:56 AM

Radioactive Iodine Therapy - Hypertheroid

Hello,
I've been having blood tests done on my cat on a yearly basis for the last 4 years (He's 11 years old now). The last year his blood work showed that his Thyroid was a bit high but not too bad. This year his Thyroid has shown very high and the vet has diagnosed him with Hyperthyroid, and low white blood cell count
They've recommended either
1) a iodine free diet with special food
2) medication (less recommended because of the side effects)

My concerns with a special diet is it seems like it's not really treating the problem rather than mitigating the issue.

And I'd like to avoid medications unless necessary for any side effects.

Now I've been researching around and I see that radioactive iodine treatment seems to be very promising. I'm not a vet though so I'm unsure if this treatment is too overboard for a recent diagnosis.

Do you guys have any experience with Radioactive Iodine Therapy?
Do vets usually offer this as a first solution? Or did you try other treatments first?

Thanks!
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

My human neighbour had the radioactive treatment, if it's the same for a cat I can't imagine handling that. She was hospitatlized and all her bodily waste had to be treated as bbiohazard, collected and specially disposed of. I do believe this treatment essentially kills the thyroid so you, your cat, would have to be medicated after with thyroid supplement anyway, except now you, your cat, would be hypothyroid instead of hyperthyroid. Make sure you ask the VEt, I am not sure.

My old girl, 18.5, has been on the special diet and the transdermal ear gel for a year now. It is keeping her thyroid levels in check. Lately all she is getting is the ear gel as she will not eat the food.