Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM

2 of 3 cats use box just fine, why doesn't the third?

Hello, and thank you for your time!

2 of 2 cats use box just fine, why doesn't the third?

Well I just severely got crabbed out by the respondiers, though I deeply appreciate your answers. First of all, I will never punish a cat again, as now I know this will not help. Secondly, I forgot to mention originally that I already had the third cat checked out by the vets and no medical problems were found. Thirdly, I have already put an additional cat box in that guest bathroom. And last, I do feel bad for punishing the cat and I do extremely honor all of the advice that I have just received. Thanks!

Last edited by G odishere4u2; May 26th, 2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I have gotten my answers
Old May 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Punishing is not going to help anything.

Get a second box. If it works, it is an easy fix and it also explains to you that the issue is a social one. You may find it easier to handle a second box than cleaning up the floor and then fighting with him over it - or not - but worth a try. If it doesn't work, it's only cost you $5 for a cheap one.

Has anything changed: diet/flavour of food, weight, eyesight, arthritis that might affect him wanting to go through that opening?

Last edited by SamIam; May 26th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

A UTI in a cat is prime reason to prompt them to stop using the litter box. They pee, the higher alkaline urine burns and hurts them, they think the litter box is to blame so they try another spot to pee. Now, this does not sound like your situation because your cat is using one other spot but it's still worth a check at your Vet's.

There are innumerable other reasons for your cat to stop using a box. A spat with one of the other cats, the other cat has a UTI and the box doesn't smell right anymore, something happened when he was down there once and it frightened him. I doubt you will ever learn the reason and some things just aren't worth the trouble. Far easier to get more litter boxes, ideally at least two more, one per cat. Plus many of us have an extra.

I'd put the new litter box where your cat now chooses to make his bathroom and hope to get him using it there before trying to move the box.
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G odishere4u2 View Post
Any cat box odor entirely confined,
Confined to the box? That's great that maybe you can't smell it, but no doubt that cats can big time.

Quote:
This setup has worked just purfect for three years. In the last year, just one cat has been, peeing and pooping near the toilet in that same guest bathroom.
How often do you entirely swap out the litter? Do you thoroughly clean the box periodically? Plastic litter boxes accumulate odours over time and should be replaced once a year.

Quote:
We have tried extensive and very consistent punishments including spraying with water, spanking, isolation, etc., while always showing him the defecated or urinated area before hand.
And how's that been working for you? Not well, I imagine. In fact you've probably made it worse by adding to your poor cat's anxiety over the whole situation. Your cat isn't doing this to p!ss you off. There's something wrong in his world, whether it be the box, the litter, the location, the social dynamics in the household, or a medical issue. You need to figure out what the problem is and help him. Starting with a vet appointment. Also read this link on litter box issues and see if you find a solution there: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

Quote:
I understand that you may say for us to get more cat boxes, though I am confused to why this situation worked just fine for so long, then changed, and we were just hoping to not have to get additional boxes, mainly due to there being alot of benefits to having the cat box in it's own closet.
Benefits for YOU, but not necessarily the cats. Adding another box would be a really good idea.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Hello, and thank you for your time!

I have three cats, all neutered, been here for four years,

Only have one cat box, litter maid, in small dimly lighted closet, with one five square inch opening in wall for access to adjacent guest bathroom, with that door being always open, unless toilet is being used.

Any cat box odor entirely confined, box always kept sifted as it is a Litter Maid, and entirely out of sight.

This setup has worked just purfect for three years. In the last year, just one cat has been, peeing and pooping near the toilet in that same guest bathroom.

We have tried extensive and very consistent punishments including spraying with water, spanking, isolation, etc., while always showing him the defecated or urinated area before hand.

He is very affectionate, though will hide if he has left us a mess and we haven't punished him yet. So he knows what's coming.

I understand that you may say for us to get more cat boxes, though I am confused to why this situation worked just fine for so long, then changed, and we were just hoping to not have to get additional boxes, mainly due to there being alot of benefits to having the cat box in it's own closet.

Sincerely, Glenn
Well, something has definitely happened to make your kitty not want to use the litter box.

Have you had him checked by a vet to ensure his health is OK, kidneys, thyroid, etc., etc?

Cat's don't reason as humans do, if your kitty was using the box and a loud bang, or a kitty scared him, or a pain that occurred while he is using the litter box, then he may associate that particular litter box with that traumatic event. As Sugarcatmom stated, something has affected your kitty to change what he was doing. Adding a litter box to a different area may be enough to get him to start using one again.

Punishments only succeed in taking out frustrations, they will do nothing to correct the situation . I agree with the others, try a second litter box.

Good luck!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey