Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Closed Thread

Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Rottie owner and lover

November weightloss diaries :)

Hello there, I noticed no one started the weight loss thread, so I guess I will start.
Nov 2nd I weighed in at 173 lbs I hit my goal for this month. Now with that being said, I found this month the hardest so far to lose
I have been bad with the night cravings, I know it is boredom, but I feel like a zombie, can not stop it. Out of control, and so close to my goal weight of 160.
But on a positive note, for my reward today, I went and bought good weight lifting gloves, and a new ball . I am only missing a bench, then have my own mini gym
How is everyone else doing, the good and the bad
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I think im going to start again in this thread..lol.. So as of now, I am making a new lifestyle change (Ive tried before, But never succeded)
As a teenager I Feel very unhappy. I am over weight. And it is, without a doubt, ruining my life. And a turn of events that happened last night, showed this to me. I am ready to start shedding some pounds

Rottielover- I think you are doing a wonderful job! Keep it up!!.. Dont let those cravings get to ya!!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Rottie owner and lover

As I told myself over and over again, everyone has heir reasons for wanting to lose the weight. My it has to be for you, and only you, or nothing will stick.
It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. With that being said, if you are more comfortable starting slowly then do so. which ever will be easier for you, and something you want to stick to.
I have realized that drinking a lot of green tea has helped me.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
As I told myself over and over again, everyone has heir reasons for wanting to lose the weight. My it has to be for you, and only you, or nothing will stick.
It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. With that being said, if you are more comfortable starting slowly then do so. which ever will be easier for you, and something you want to stick to.
I have realized that drinking a lot of green tea has helped me.
Absolutely true rottielover. When I lost my 60 lbs, it was because I was ready and wanted to do it for me. Now I keep it off for me and love being in great shape.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Rottie owner and lover

wow seeing that quote made me realize that i need caffeine. LOL
I did not write that correctly, or spell.

It has taken me almost 1 1/2 years to come where I am today, slow and steady wins the race, makes it easier to stick to as well
I love being able to blade with the dogs without being winded or playing with kayla
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
wow seeing that quote made me realize that i need caffeine. LOL
I did not write that correctly, or spell.

It has taken me almost 1 1/2 years to come where I am today, slow and steady wins the race, makes it easier to stick to as well
I love being able to blade with the dogs without being winded or playing with kayla
Good for you, rottielover

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Hey, where are all the regulars to these threads ?
Come on guys, lets hear how you all are doing, good and the bad
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I've been trying to lose weight for months now, but I keep gaining. I finally went to the doctors to get checked out since I've been having some other issues as well. He thinks everything might be caused by a thyroid problem, so I'm waiting to hear back on the test results.

I'm hoping that once we figure out if I have any conditions causing the weight gain, we can treat them and I can truly start focusing on shedding the pounds. It's going to be a long road ahead for me, but I feel optimistic
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Rottie owner and lover

we are all here for you, hope they find out what the issues are.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM

I am doing the Smart for Life cookie diet. I have lost 32.5 in about 3 1/2 months Could be more but I find the weekends hard
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hey, sorry for the late Novemnber post - good job starting the thread RL!

Works been crazy and I dont get as much pets.ca time anymore. Things here are hectic but good, Im almost 20 weeks along - saturday will be the half way mark!! Im up 18lbs total, perfect according to my OB. As I've mentioned beofre its scarey watching the numbers on the scale go up but now that I have a noticable baby bump - its easier to accept. I do feel a bit winded and can tell Im up in weight by my knees and lower back aches...but its all good at this point.

Good job RL - you are working so hard and are so dedicated - how can you possibly fail!!!

Spatx - good luck with your results, its tough not knowing whats holding you back. Keep us posted.

Babymoma - its never too late or too soon to get healthy. I grew up an over weight teen too, and its tough, especailly if your peers dont fight the same battle as you, as I aged I found more support in women then I ever did as a teen. Try to find yourself some support, a friend to walk with, a family member who wants to shed some weight too...it helps to have a buddy. Big hugs cuz I know exactly how you feel.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Sorry guys, I haven't posted in here for quite a while!

I am now happy to say that I'm now down to a size 6 - for the first time, in, about ever.. Actually, according to the size chart at Sears, I'm just one inch away from a size 4

It's so weird - I love shopping now - even though I used to hate it But at the same time, I look at myself and think of myself as the same size I was back in May when it all started.. When I first tried on a size 6 and it fit, I thought the pants were labelled incorrectly

Everyone is doing great!

I'm about 6 lbs away from my goal .. then I just have to work on toning.. *sigh*

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Good job phooz!!! So proud of you!! Did you buy your wedding dress yet? You are going to look fabulous!!! A size 4 or 6 wedding dress - that's awesome!!

Old November 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I am going to try harder this month - I have been a complete weight watch failure....too stressed out I think!
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
Good job phooz!!! So proud of you!! Did you buy your wedding dress yet? You are going to look fabulous!!! A size 4 or 6 wedding dress - that's awesome!!
Thanks FG!
Yeah, I bought my dress in August, off the rack, so it's hanging up in my sister's closet right now (because my FH says he'll peek at it if it's at our house ).. Of course, it's a "wedding dress" size, which means it's bigger than regular sizes (what's that all about?!) .. at the time I was a street size 8, so it's a size 10 I tried it on at Thanksgiving (when I discovered I was down to a street size 6), and it still fit fine. We'll see what happens at Christmas. I'm hoping I don't have to take it in, just because I'm cheap that way

Old November 6th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

Hey folks!

Just popping in to report that the scale didn't change much in October but my pants are starting to fall off again - the pants are either stretching out or my current pounds are just moving around to new places. I cracked my toes in early October so I wasn't as active as usual, :sad: missed some big calorie-burning walking but I did keep the weight off so that was a huge relief.

I start back walking this weekend since my toes are feeling much better, hope they're healed up.

Keep up the good work, peeps!!! Veggies good, exercise good, over-eating BAD! lol

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Geek Club CEO

wow, it's been too long since I've been here

You guys are doing great! I'm still hanging in there...I'm down to about 143, the lowest I've been in years (I was around 170 in January)...and I have a new fitness goal for myself (I'm writing here to keep myself accountable):

I AM RUNNING A HALF MARATHON IN MAY!

Seriously. I even signed up for a 3.5 month weekly training clinic starting in February. In the meantime, I've been running about 3-5 times a week and it's starting to feel pretty good now. It's hard, 'cause it's dark by the time I get home and in the boonies there are no streetlights, so it's me and Gracie and a headlamp and all the neighbours peering out their windows at the dork in tights.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok I have absolutely no comment - failing badly...really have been so darn busy and grabbing whatever I can to fill the void is keeping me alive.:sad:
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Geek Club CEO

My newest fix for the "I have no time to cook properly after work" blahs: I do a marathon cook and freeze fest every Sunday. Saturday, plan meals and buy groceries. Sunday, cook about 5 dishes that can go in the freezer, takes about 4-5 hours altogether. Monday-Saturday: gleefully pull ready-to-eat healthy stuff out of the freezer and throw in oven. Helps free up a ton of time and stress on weeknights especially and helps prevent me from talking myself out of my workouts with the "no time" excuse...
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I have some good news - got all my test results back and everything was normal. The health issues I'm experiencing are most likely the results of stress, including the weight gain. So I'm now working on stress management, and have been feeling much better recently.

I finally decided to weigh myself, and am very happy to report that I've lost my first 10 lbs! I'm still quite a long way from my goal weight of 180, but I'm making my goals small increments. I'm down to 229 from 240, so I'm quite happy about that!
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

You go Girl - great news Spatx! Congrats on all counts.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Great news Spatx! And Bendy! A marathon! Right on! You can do it! (I don't think I could)

As for me, I'm now 4 lbs away from my goal
I'm down from 154 to 119. I'm still not used to it. I still think of myself as a bigger girl.. Last weekend a girl about the same size as I used to be was mentioning how she went to ride on a kid's bike, but that "she's not as small as someone like me" and I was confused for a minute, because I still think of myself as being that same size - 35 lbs ago.. Even when I buy smaller clothes, I feel like there was a mistake on the tag.. I wonder if it'll ever kick in that I'm actually a size 6.. ?

I pretty much take weekends off of my 'good eating' now, and I still manage to lose a pound a week, so that makes me feel good.. I had to take the winter off of walking dogs for the shelter, so that makes me lose my guaranteed exercise (because I felt guilty if I was late), but I'll step it up with my exercising at home.

And my FH is back in action - eating right and going on the exercise bike every night - I'm so proud of him! We're going to look hot on our wedding day!

BenMax - I feel like losing weight is like quitting smoking. You have to be ready to do it, and really want to do it.. Otherwise you'll ultimately fail .. This is the first time I've been so resolved, and it helps that I have a goal date.. but you can do it, and we're here for you!

Old November 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Geek Club CEO

Specific, acheivable goals are helpful for sure, whether they're dates or activities, or...?

I know for me, committing to participating in this race (by registering for the training clinic and telling everyone I can), will keep me on track and honest. There's no WAY I can fake a 20+ km run. 5km, maybe, but not 20. If I don't put in the training hours and keep on track with healthy eating, I'm TOAST and will just embarass myself.

The first time I tried running, a few years ago actually, I picked a charity run (breast cancer) that was close to my heart, gave myself about 8 months to get ready, and told everyone I knew that I was going to do the 5km run. Everyone was supportive, and asked about it, and it was REALLY helpful for staying focused on the goal...I kicked that 5 kms' @ss Sometimes sharing the journey really helps.
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hey friends, how goes the battle??

Im doing good, Im up 24lbs at 22 weeks along. Im sure it will rise quickly from here, my OB told me the baby gains 1/4 of a lb per week from now till 30 weeks, then 1/2 a lb per week from 30 - 40. LOL!! I should be good and round by xmas time!!

How is everyone doing? We are almost a full year on the pets weight loss thread...let's hear some over all results and 2009 goals!!

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
proud to be a cat slave

You're doing great FG! I've always been afraid of the day that I have a bun in the oven .. I feel like my will power will just fly out the window..

Well, I didn't start in January, but I did start in May.. At the beginning of May I weighed 154 lbs. I now weigh 119 lbs. Just for fun I went into Old Navy over the weekend and tried on a pair of size 4 jeans.. and they fit! Well! I actually spent about five minutes checking and rechecking the label to make sure I had the size right!

I wanted to show some pictures of my progress, but I didn't have a lot of pictures that showed me when I was at my biggest (because I wouldn't keep them around ) and not many pictures of me now because I haven't taken a lot of pictures.. So not sure if it looks like a big change to you, but it feels like one for me!

to get an idea..

Here's me and my FH at Thanksgiving last year:

And here's the two of us from a week ago:

And no, I didn't lose my hair colour in the loss as well I'll probably be going back to red soon - I'm just not having more fun as a blond

Here's another example.. Me from winter 2007 (why am I making that face?!):

And me and my beautiful FH at Halloween this year (I was a substitute teacher - and he was a gorgeous French maid):

My ongoing goals - get rid of the belly fat (easier said than done ) and maintain..

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

phooz - I can see a difference for sure!! your face/chin/neck area. you look so good!! you are going to be a beautiful bride - I can't wait to see those pics!!

my will power is out the window - if I think it - I want it...lol! its hard...

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Geek Club CEO

holy shamoley!!! That's a HUGE difference!!! Way to go!!!
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
proud to be a cat slave

Thanks ladies! I don't really have a full body shot of me before, because, again, I got rid of all the 'unflattering' ones.. I'm actually surprised I allowed the before pictures I posted to still be around Well, I'll never get back there.. s:

FG - will power is so hard! But you're doing so well, so keep it up! Are you planning on breastfeeding? I heard that that really helps take the post baby pounds off..

Old November 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Yes to breasfeeding, it does burn tones of calories and with being home for the year and dazy needing exercise each day - it wont take me long to get back at it once I heal up. Im looking forward to being a fit mom.

Old November 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Welp, I fell off the wagon...I've been eating more junk again, having been to the gym in almost two weeks. Feeling completely blah, and I miss a few days because Mrs. Schwinn has to go to work early, so I have to drop the girls off. I got some bad news about my police application, and feel completely bummed. Between that, and being told that I shouldn't expect much of a raise for my already underpaid butt hasn't helped.

On a more positive note, I did see some friends and their little girls birthday party today, and he said right away I look like I've lost weight. I'm hoping to start over on Monday, and get back into it. For now...where did I put that big bag of M&M's...

I agree Phoozles...great job!

And yes, FG, breast feeding helps you lose weight, Mrs. Schwinn tells me. I suggested that how much depends on how often, and how many quarts you're down...
Closed Thread