Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

She looks like she's very happy and healthy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Meow,she is such a sweetheart,of course you love her and you and her have been through and awful lot
I hope this is the end now,hope for no more health-problems,but she could not be in better hands.
All we need to hear now,is that the evil vet is a vet no more
My prayer exactly! She has CRF so she has problems....as a result of her unneeded surgery. I hate to take her to the vet. It is VERY traumatizing to her now.
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
She looks like she's very happy and healthy.
awww she looks like your kitty!
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Meow, Simba looks so content, happy to hear that most if not all of her problems are behind her now. she is so lucky to you as her mom.
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

She does look a bit like Kiska.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old September 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
Oh Meow, Simba looks so content, happy to hear that most if not all of her problems are behind her now. she is so lucky to you as her mom.
thank you. i am SO blessed to have Simba as my kitty and my best friend! I LOVE MY KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Pet Guardian

still waiting to hear......................
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Pet Guardian

Simba went with me to the photographer this weekend. She was SO scared. :sad: She was a brave kitty though. She clung to me. I couldn't put her down or on anything (like a furry rug). Of course she wouldn't look at the camera and then at the last minute we got one BEAUTIFUL photo of her! Little girl was so happy to come home.

I am seriously thinking about not taking her back to a vet. It is so traumatic for her....just to get a blood sample. They have to sedate her with some drug that makes her drool prfousely and she poops out everything that is in her from fear. I know CRF needs blood monitored but I don't know if it is best to put her through that.
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there a way maybe one of the vet techs can come to your place and get a sample from her there?

I hope you'll post the photo when you have it.

Old October 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Most cats dont adjust well to change.. and given what this sweetheart has been through, the less she has to leave her home the better.. What ancient asked was a good idea can a tech come to your place to do the blood test as she would be calmer in her own environment. Also, just curious how often are you getting her tested? I followed through most of your thread, not sure if you ever posted her numbers, BUN, CREA. I am only asking as I get my kitty tested twice a year... at one point you had said the vet mentioned it being too early for sub qs... so I was thinking, maybe she doesnt need to be tested as frequently...less stress for her) especially if she is eating drinking and you are doing the sub qs
Just a last thought, if your own vet wont come to your house to draw blood, there are good mobile vets who will and I can give links to listings by state. My vet comes to our house and she doesnt sedate my cat, she brings a tech with her, and has a little kitty muzzle just to be safe that goes over her mouth.. they are real gentle with her, and get the blood within a min or two, no sedation, no anxiety and she is in the comfort of her own home... having to be sedated and to go through the physical reaction that she does isnt good( to be honest i havent heard of a cat having to be sedated to the point she is drooling to get a blood sample... your cat is a sweetheart, I hope you are able to find someone that is able to come to you, and perhaps use a less invasive approach..
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Pet Guardian

I give her sub q's 2x a week. the vet said to test her blood 4-5x a year. vet came already. simba hisses and scrached and run away. it is not more calm for her at home to do this. if i do this to her at home, she will have no "safe place." at least now at home she feels safe
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM

are her numbers in a really high range? 4-5 times a year can be extreme if they arent... even if they are 3-4 times a year would suffice. If her numbers are more near the normal end, every 6 months should be fine to test. You say you are only giving her sub qs twice a week at this point, not daily, so I am guessing the numbers arent dangerously high, and that perhaps she does not need to be tested that often.
You say that she feels she would have no safe place if done at home. Were they able to get her blood drawn there? Did they have to sedate her again? Cats do ultimately feel safest at home, and if they do the blood draw in one room, bathroom maybe? I promise you she would feel better than going into a vets office with all the strange smells of animals, sick animals etc. Cats ultimately prefer to stay in a familar environment. I can only tell you this as I have taken my kitty to the vets, and had home vets come in, and I much prefer the latter, unless there is a need to bring her in of course.
My vet as I said takes her in the bathroom, has a little kitty muzzle, just to prevent her if she bites, is very calm, wraps a towel around her, shaves the area under her chin, and draws the blood, it takes a couple of minutes, then my cat jumps out, free to hide and roam around in her home and is fine within a minute. No sedation, and a lot less stress.
Of course its up to you and I know you love your kitty) hope you are able to find a way to do this that is less stressful to her, and in a way that she does not need to be sedated.
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Pet Guardian

one person can handle your cat?
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM

two do... the vet brings a tech with her. They are incredibly calm, I actually stood right by the door, heard no hissing, growling. Your cat may literally be reacting just to the sights, smells of the the tech that has been dealing with her for so long now, and since their senses are so much stronger than ours, it sets off a panic.
It was one of the reasons I asked what the possibility of getting another vet, mobile to come in if possible to your home just for the blood draw, but yes two do it. She originally asked if i wanted to just hold her while she took the blood, but I felt more comfortable with her bringing in another person. But definitely no sedation, and trust me my cat is not one that likes to be overly handled) I guess it depends on the persons energy... I just really hope that you are able to get this done, when you need without poor Simba having to be sedated like that.
Again 2-4 times a year may be all you need.. depends on her numbers behaviour. They always say judge a renal cat by their behaviour, not their numbers as well. So if she is eating, drinking, going to the bathroom all well, and seems generally good, I would say testing every two months is definitely too much.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

meow,last week when Rocky had his 3-month bloodtest,I held on to him,as well as the vet-tech,she got a good scratch on her arm.
There was just no way to take his blood from the neck,he's had it done before,but this time no.
They ended up wrapping him in a towel and taking blood from his hind-leg.
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopoo View Post
two do... the vet brings a tech with her. They are incredibly calm, I actually stood right by the door, heard no hissing, growling. Your cat may literally be reacting just to the sights, smells of the the tech that has been dealing with her for so long now, and since their senses are so much stronger than ours, it sets off a panic.
It was one of the reasons I asked what the possibility of getting another vet, mobile to come in if possible to your home just for the blood draw, but yes two do it. She originally asked if i wanted to just hold her while she took the blood, but I felt more comfortable with her bringing in another person. But definitely no sedation, and trust me my cat is not one that likes to be overly handled) I guess it depends on the persons energy... I just really hope that you are able to get this done, when you need without poor Simba having to be sedated like that.
Again 2-4 times a year may be all you need.. depends on her numbers behaviour. They always say judge a renal cat by their behaviour, not their numbers as well. So if she is eating, drinking, going to the bathroom all well, and seems generally good, I would say testing every two months is definitely too much.
no my cat is very smart. i had a vet tech here before. hissing, growling, etc. your cat wasn't traumatized by a vet before like simba. simba even knows now if i want to pick her up and runs away. this i have to thank to the monster that calls himself a vet who needlessly removed her teeth
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
meow,last week when Rocky had his 3-month bloodtest,I held on to him,as well as the vet-tech,she got a good scratch on her arm.
There was just no way to take his blood from the neck,he's had it done before,but this time no.
They ended up wrapping him in a towel and taking blood from his hind-leg.
i would never let them take blood from simba's neck. never. they use her leg and iften get only a VERY small amount.
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM

yeah i know your kitty is reacting to what that vet did to her and put her through( my dog gets blood drawn from his paw too and he stresses out big time they only get a little bit,
i wasnt saying to get it drawn from the neck... of course whatever place is easiest to get it from them and quickest is the best. Just trying to figure out a way that she doesnt have to be sedated so that she is drooling and going to the bathroom every time. Wrapping in a towel definitely helps as chico said, so while there may be a little hissing, if a tech came, and maybe you held her, in a small area like a bathroom with a closed door, then perhaps they could draw blood from the paw...
again i just feel that the stress of having to take her out of her home and into their office could possibly worse, and of course she is smelling all the other animals, meds and other strange smells there. Home is her comfort zone, once its done in that room its over and she can roam around and relax. I know if i even put my cat in a carrier she hisses and fights, let alone having to go to a strange place with strange smells.. just trying to figure out the best for her)
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

loopoo,you are right,as far as my cats go...as soon as the carrier comes upstairs,they are gone.
It takes 2 of us to get a cat in to the carrier,then they howl all the way in the car.
My vet also has 3 cats running around in his office,so I have to cover the carrier.
I would love to save my cats all that stress and have the vet come here.
However,like Meow says,her cat has had a terrible experience,which she will not easily forget.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopoo View Post
yeah i know your kitty is reacting to what that vet did to her and put her through( my dog gets blood drawn from his paw too and he stresses out big time they only get a little bit,
i wasnt saying to get it drawn from the neck... of course whatever place is easiest to get it from them and quickest is the best. Just trying to figure out a way that she doesnt have to be sedated so that she is drooling and going to the bathroom every time. Wrapping in a towel definitely helps as chico said, so while there may be a little hissing, if a tech came, and maybe you held her, in a small area like a bathroom with a closed door, then perhaps they could draw blood from the paw...
again i just feel that the stress of having to take her out of her home and into their office could possibly worse, and of course she is smelling all the other animals, meds and other strange smells there. Home is her comfort zone, once its done in that room its over and she can roam around and relax. I know if i even put my cat in a carrier she hisses and fights, let alone having to go to a strange place with strange smells.. just trying to figure out the best for her)
they can take it from the paw without shaving it? back or front? I know you are trying to help. the whole thing is so frustrating. i hate to hold her and then she hates me for letting them take her blood, i hate to take her to the vet b/c of sedation and popping. i hate all of it.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
loopoo,you are right,as far as my cats go...as soon as the carrier comes upstairs,they are gone.
It takes 2 of us to get a cat in to the carrier,then they howl all the way in the car.
My vet also has 3 cats running around in his office,so I have to cover the carrier.
I would love to save my cats all that stress and have the vet come here.
However,like Meow says,her cat has had a terrible experience,which she will not easily forget.
she will never forget it. she is a mommy's kitty too!
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

meow,my vet never shaves either the neck or paw,he just feels for the vein.
Shaving is just added stress,but I too HATE to take Rocky am nervous about it a day before.
I am not a nervy person,but when it comes to causing my cats stress,I get nervy,I think most of us do.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM

chico is correct when they draw blood from the paw, they have never shaved, usually its drawn from the front. Much better for her to be in her mommys arms, than a strangers in a strange place for a few moments... she would never hate you) hope you consider doing it that way, at home, and just take a deep breath when they come in and send her calm and loving energy and before you know it, it will be over, and she wont have to deal with the negative smells, strangers, she will be safe in her own home where she can hide, roam recover nicely,no sedation no ride back, just home.
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Pet Guardian

I am trying to get ahold of a mobile vet. I think simba will fight someone here is the house too.

TWO MORE DAYS TO VOTE FOR SIMBA
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:09 AM
Pet Guardian

Voting is now over. Thank you to everyone who voted for my little girl I love my kitty Let's see if she wins!
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM

I voted several times. Sure hope she wins
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Pet Guardian

I do not see a winner yet for the contest. hmmmm.
anyway here my baby! She looks like a model to me!

Old November 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe they're waiting a few days to announce the winner.

That's a gorgeous photo.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Model-Material for sureshe looks so very girlie..
beautiful pic
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Model-Material for sureshe looks so very girlie..
beautiful pic