Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Kitty Consort

Red face A quarrel over kibble

I'm sure no pet food expert, but do know the differences between a good commercial pet food and a poor one.

My husband brought home two large unopened bags of dry cat food that a co-worker gave him yesterday, and happily presented them to me.
It was Meow Mix.
I didnt have to read the ingredients list to know that this was a poor food, and told him I would not feed our cats this.

He became kind of testy, rolled his eyes.. and said I fussed far "way" too much over this and lots of people used this food. I should just mix it in with the other, he felt, and insisted that two bags of food surely wouldnt harm them.
Maybe not, but how would it help them? They have food - their own food
I became kind of testy myself and told him,I'm not using it, I dont feel comfortable feeding it, end of story.

I realize he doesnt understand about what makes up pet food, but when the first ingredients of a food is chicken by-products meal followed by corn gluten meal and ground yellow corn. and it contains menadione - I dont want my cats consuming it.
It's a case of "once you know". My cats from years ago were raised on Purina Cat Chow. But that that then..

So, he doesnt understand, and thinks I am being ridiculous.
I dont really care, The feeding of our pets is my responsibility, and like all of you, I take it seriously.

So,even if lots of others might agree with him, I know you understand.

As I didnt find it on the recall list, and the expiry date is still good, I thought I might just donate it to the SPCA, but in all honestly, I dont even feel comfortable with that. The kitties there need good food too.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Live well, laugh often

Stick to your beliefs Shamrock. I wouldn't mix it with your stuff because when they get the high sugar "junk food" then they start to crave it and then it becomes a "picky eater" issue.

I'm ok with donating it. The financial toll for shelters is difficult and I believe the usually mix the stuff together anyway. If they don't want it then they can always chuck it out.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Animal Lover

I know how you feel! Especially about the "once you know" part. We had ordered some dog food for our dogs, but it hadn't come in and we ran out of the other. So out of desperation we got Purina One from the store. I figured it's at least better than Ol' Roy, but I felt go guilty feeding that, even for a couple of days. I was so relieved when the good stuff arrived on our doorstep and will make sure not to make the same mistake again!

I definetly say stick to your guns. And donate those bags! They are going to feed the same quality or worse anyway, but at least the little things aren't starving to death.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Shamrock,I am sure HS would be happy to get the food,whether it's Meow Mix or not,they have a lot of cats to feed and probably cannot afford to be choosy.
My hubbie usually goes with me to my Pet-Supply store,since I buy big 25kilo bags of birdseeds,so even he knows now what the cats should an should not eat
My son on the other hand feeds his dogs Beneful and because they like it,he thinks it's good for them
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
My son on the other hand feeds his dogs Beneful and because they like it,he thinks it's good for them
You mean it's not? But... But...... it has all those pictures of wonderful looking fresh meat and veggies on the front!!

Sadly, I used to buy into such marketing. So I can't say a whole lot... :sad:

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM

I'd sit him down, explain to him what each ingredient really is, and then tell him if he eats a handful, you'll feed it to the cats.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Animal Lover

We got a free bag of Wellness natural treats with our dog food and my husband and daughter really like them. lol They said they taste like beef jerky. But they are all natural ingredients. I think there's only like 5 in there or something.

-Anonymous
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Brandy,don't feel bad,I used to believe all those wonderful dog/cat happy commercials too,at one point a loooong time ago.
My cats at the time,eating all that junk,actually lived to a ripe old age,mostly they ate Puss'n Boots,a product most of you don't even know,it was such a long time ago.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I'd sit him down, explain to him what each ingredient really is, and then tell him if he eats a handful, you'll feed it to the cats.
Hehe, that's a great idea .
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Kitty Consort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
LOL, Prin!

I do hate to waste this food by just chucking it out, but I wasnt sure if was ethical to offer food to shelter cats that I had rejected for my own.
I've donated food to them before, but its been good brand stuff that my cats or dog didnt care for.
You are right, Terri.. I forgot that they often mix it together. There "is" a need, and this is what I will do.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Actually Shamrock, crap food can be great for shelters because with all the stool hardeners and things, it's easier to digest.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:10 PM

We toss any donated food, unless it's better than nutro. Nutro is my "everything from here on down is crap" guideline. I don't think animals should have to eat crap just because they don't have loving families. That said, some shelters are desperate for any food at all and would be very grateful to get it. It's a good idea to call first and see if they accept food donations. So many shelters have contracts with science diet now they get donated food, and that is the only food they are allowed to feed. (And they have to give the names and contract info of all of their adopters to science diet. I know because they contacted us once, wanting us to be a contract shelter.) But I am sure there is at least one shelter in your area that would be able to take the food.
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Umm, just wondering why the coworker gave hubby the Meow Mix? It's funny when one comes to their senses and wants to feed the right food! I couldn't wait to toss the old food!!!
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree- why is the coworker getting rid of the food? Unless their cat died - and hopefully not from a food related illness - I can understand. But if they think it is not good enough for their pet, why foist it on you. Fortunately, you are knowledgeable enough to know the difference and as for your husband you will have to educate him. Tell him this is one of those times that you are in the right and he should care what his cats eat!! It is an good opportunity to educate him.

My bf at first thought I went a bit (Ok, he thought "more than a bit, lol) with my cats but now he has come to realize how good food is important for our four pawed family members just as if we had children and even helps me cook them stuff. He recalls his own cats when he is growing up eating Puss N Boots (ughhhhhhhhhh!!! - don't think they still make that awful stuff but if they do, it won't grace the doors here). (I hope they are not an advertiser here, if they are Marco, just take out the name, lol) - granted he is older than me and celebrated the big 5-0 not too long ago!!!! When I was a child, I recall we fed our cats some stuff my grandmother made (remember this was a woman who made her own soap - good stuff too - and her own blankets from the wool of her own sheep, ensuring the wool was only removed in the summer lest sheep she had raised as babies get cold - they all had names and she adored each and every one of them!) (Needless to say, we never ate lamb in our household, I still do not! I understand that people do but am not thrilled about it, am even more upset about rabbit as meat of course, no matter what kind of rabbit. I have bunnies on my woodlot and they are such wonderful little fragile creatures I cannot imagine anyone killing them, skinning them and eating them - the thought makes me violently ill, I can;t get past it for some reason and prob never will.) Anyway - I have digressed - back to the sheep's wool. She made beautiful blankets from her own loom and they are so warm and I use them still. (and have pictures of Molly Malone, Constance - after an Irish rebel heroine in the Easter rebellion -, Gracie (after Grace O'Malley), Collie - short for Colleen, Clare for the County and the song ("From Clare to Here - Nanci Griffith sings it the best), Finn McCool (who we called Finnigan after the Mr. Dress Up character, lol), Connolly - named for James Connolly but we called him Lolly tho I bet no one ever called James THAT, lol , Padraic after Mr. Pearce and yes, we called him Paddy, Mickey - after Michael Collins -, Dev for Eamon DeValera - the only Irish leader not to be executed during the rebellion due to the fact he was born in the US, (even if he and Mick did not get along which is putting it mildly indeed, lol - the two fellas, and one named Fitz after the US pres. There were a few more but these are the ones I can recall offhand. I was closer to Gracie than all of them - and Molly- and they were smart sheep too!! And ever so soft!! When they were small baby lambs, we'd bring them in at night to keep them warm and like kittens, there were always a few who needed bottle feeding and that was actually fun. Lambing can be a tiring business for any farmer in that field - I am quite sure my grandparents never earned a cent from it - good thing they both had day jobs tho we'd never have starved with the large garden they had! And for all his love of animals, my grandfather did alas eat pork, beef, chicken and even ducks and geese. But I admit myself to eating chicken and had duck once when my grandfather wanted it when he had cancer and it was his last Christmas and he did not care about how much fat it was. He did refuse to eat foie gras tho given how it is made. I am not much of a pork eater and can't eat beef but happen to like bacon yet I know pigs are considered smart animals, I suspect if we had those - I'd have a tough time to eat it - but thankfully, we did not even if other farmers would exchange pork with them for other meat and veggies.

Anyway - I have so digressed and I apologize. I do not understand this co worker's intentions but they may well be honorable. He could bring the food - if it's deemed edible, to the SPCA or a rescue group tho I hesitate to suggest that if there is something wrong with it.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Kitty Consort

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisha View Post
Umm, just wondering why the coworker gave hubby the Meow Mix? It's funny when one comes to their senses and wants to feed the right food! I couldn't wait to toss the old food!!!
That is the very first question I asked.. why?
Apparently he'd taken in a stray cat a few months ago, which recently disappeared. He knew we had three cats.. which he considers "a lot".. so brought it in as a well-intentioned gift.

Sable Collie, I will call and check with my local SPCA to confirm they will accept this food. No point driving it out there if it will be discarded.

Last edited by Shamrock; May 13th, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Sable Collie, I will call and check with my local SPCA to confirm they will accept this food. No point driving it out there if it will be discarded.
I think that's a great choice, given that many shelters mix foods... especially when you remember that some animals that end up in shelters came from homes at some point - homes that may have fed Meow Mix, so it may be a welcome flavor for a few cats (possible, right? So don't feel bad donating.).
Also if they don't take it (and I LOVE that at least some won't based on content) ask what they think you should do... maybe see if a nearby farm wants it for barn cats? Or (long shot here) a homeless person's shelter would take it should they or their patrons have cats? Maybe there is one more step before landfill for this free food. (Maybe not!)

Please everyone, know I mean that well - I do support feeding the best quality food possible, at all times! I also do support the environment.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
-

You know , many of the cats and dogs in spca, shelters, pounds , don't really care what brand of food they get, as long as they can eat something.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Isnt that the truth at least they are eating.My boyfriend does not understand why i drive 30 miles to get her food,he has no idea about the ingredients and what they mean.I feed bob and momma grocery store cat food,do i feel bad,NOPE,they are just happy to be eating also.I said in a post not to long ago my moms cat is 18 years old and has NEVER has any serious health issues or anything and she is a grocery store eating cat,my boyfriend had a cat lived to 17 also a grocery store fed cat.I am not saying by any means the food is good stuff,i would not feed to roxy myself,but not all cats are gonna get health problems or what not if that is all they get to have to eat .
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Also a lot of people who feed feral cat colonies are always looking for food, especially the "cat lady" type people who are doing it on their own. And feral cats will supplement their diet will little critters that they catch, so a little crappy dry food won't hurt them. We know quite a few feral feeders who call us up and ask if we can set aside a few week's worth of donated food for them. Otherwise these people are paying for food out of their pocket, in addition to paying for traps and spay/neuter surgeries for the kitties.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Shamrock not long back my hubby felt the same way. But with time and always talking about foods and whats good and whats not he has come around. Plus with all the recalls he now really gets why good food is important. I fed Eagle Pack canned now and Timber Wolf dry. And I'll tell ya what I did one day I picked on a can of Instictive Choice and our then current food (fancy feast yuck). I read him the first 5 ingredients of both cans and asked him which he would rather eat. He chose the Instinctive Choice. And said just just hearing one had by-products made him wanna be sick. Comparing the 2 out loud just made it click for him. Now he does not complain about me driving 1 hour away (just the time to get there) just to pick up cat food. And shoot just the dry food costs 10.00 for a 4lb bag and he no longer complains about that. All he asks is that I make at least one or two other stops just to make the trip worth it.
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Heidi,you are right,I too know several people who's cats and dogs lived to a ripe old age eating cheap grocery-store food.
Heck,my long ago passed cats,ate all kinds of stuff I would not feed my 3 cats now and with the exeption of one who died of kindneyproblems,they all lived long lives.
However,like with everything we ourselves eat,we are now more aware and can make better choices..
I draw the line at some foods that are extreemly over-priced,but Orijen which I now feed(+canned)is middle of the line priced,very reasonable.