Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

No pets allowed!! AHHH

I have never felt the pain of those that have to rent with pets, until now. Omg. I'm going insane..been accepted to U of G for masters, looking for place to live now.

No pets allowed..pets negative..only declawed! BAAAAH.

That is my rant :sad:

The kitties can stay in Waterloo if needed, but I so want them to be with me.

The search continues

I must say it must be worse for those w dogs though because the very rare ones I find which allow pets usually say no dogs (cats ok).

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I certainly feel your pain! It took us a long time to find a place that would allow all our critters. At the time this building wasn't very good at all, but it's turned around now. However it's infurriating when people just tell you right off the bat, "No pets!" without even meeting you & them Best of luck in your search though, I hope you find a lovely place!
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

First, congrats on the acceptance, onster!

And second . When I was attending the U I didn't have pets--but it still bugged me when the rule was 'no pets'

for a successful search!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks guys seems i mayyyyy have found a few places to call tomorrow

the thing is most places that ive seem to come across that allow pets are dumps :sad: and i dont wanna live in a dump

but i will find something, God willing

I gotta say tho my cats honestly don't scratch anything but their cat trees..well except this one metal pillar bunduk bunduk scratches. But I mean I dont forsee them doing any damage. I of course would have to make sure the place is nom proofed lol Also b'/c of my asthma I would have to keep the place v clean and constantly vacuumed anyway. I hope some good places give me a chance.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hate to be sneaky about it but have you thought about keeping it on the downlow about the kitties? And congrats on your decision and acceptance!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I feel your pain. The main reason I moved out of my last apartment which I was totally in love with was because they had a no pets policy. I managed to hide the fact I had Vlad and Oksana for a few months, but it just got hard to hide taking them to the vet, bringing in litter and their food.

I know you'll find a good place. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to do a lot of legwork. I did find when I was looking that many places also say no dogs, cats okay. And some places that accept pets make you pay a separate deposit but only for dogs. Where I live now it's like that. You have to pay I believe $250 yearly, just to have a dog, but I don't have to pay anything for the cats. They do this mainly because they offer little stands with poop bags and a place to throw them in.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I thought in Ontario they couldn't stop you from renting if you had a pet? Perhaps I am mistaken.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM

L4H--they can't stop you having A pet, but they can stop you having certain numbers and kinds, and can charge you fees for the ones you do have. Example: you already haave a lab, want to rent a house. Renter will only allow cats. you either get rid of dog (not happening) or don't rent.

Onster - I know how you feel. I ended up leaving my cat with my parents while I was at school. Fortunately i wasn't far away so I could visit often, but I missed her and the dog as much as I missed the rest of my family.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
-

WooHoo on your acceptance to Guelph Onster, of course there was no doubt in my mind that you would be accepted......Harvard here I come

I am sure you will find a place that will accept the Kittehs, Mama is sure going to miss them :sad:.....I know some peeps that live in Guelph Onster, if you are having too much difficulty, let me know and I will get in touch with them for you
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Geek Club CEO

Congrats on the Master's Onster!

Keep looking, it'll be worth it. When I moved into my first apartment by myself I had to look around to find a place that would take my two cats, but when I did it was perfect! My landlord ended up being kind of a crazy cat man and was thrilled that I had two of my own...there's a place there for you, don't give up...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Hate to be sneaky about it but have you thought about keeping it on the downlow about the kitties? And congrats on your decision and acceptance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I thought in Ontario they couldn't stop you from renting if you had a pet? Perhaps I am mistaken.
L4H is right, you are not required to tell them you have pets, and even if you sign a lease that states no pets, it is not legally binding because it is illegal for the landlord to have that in the lease in the first place (I went to the housing tribunal to learn all this in person, in my case it also meant that a landlord could not force a person not to smoke in their residence either, which sucked for me). Basically they informed me that once you have paid your rent and deposit and moved in, the landlord has no say in what you do inside YOUR living space, unless you are damaging the property or disturbing other residents in some way (meowing/barking late at night, wild parties, vermin, stench etc). So know your rights while you look, because those landlords certainly think they know theirs. (can you tell mine is a slumlord?? )

And congrats on the acceptance!!! I have to say it really does make it easier on you if you find a landlord that doesn't mind pets, so don't panick, you'll find something.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Kitty pimp

lol i though u meat the u of georgia lol
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Don't worry onster - I went to U of G too and I had Jake with me the whole time - I lived in three different places in town and found a place that would take him in each time..

It is against the law for them to say no pets - so if you don't mention it, it's no big deal.. I like to avoid the ones that blatantly say "no pets" on the ad (because they are probably jerks) but for the other ones, just ignore them!

Hope you found a great place - it's a beautiful school! (at least it was 10 years ago when I was there last )

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
merci merci.... dunno bout keeping it on the downlo...bunduk meows I have never had them in an apartment so i dunno if the noise would carry. I mean he wont keep the neighbours up or anything but im sure someone at some point would he hear him whining "meow meow meow meeeeeeeeeeooooow meeeeow" *I pick him up* "puuuuuurrrr"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
L4H--they can't stop you having A pet, but they can stop you having certain numbers and kinds, and can charge you fees for the ones you do have. Example: you already haave a lab, want to rent a house. Renter will only allow cats. you either get rid of dog (not happening) or don't rent.

Onster - I know how you feel. I ended up leaving my cat with my parents while I was at school. Fortunately i wasn't far away so I could visit often, but I missed her and the dog as much as I missed the rest of my family.
I hope I dont have to leave him with my mom..b/c i think w me out of the house and lil bro on co-op (starting sep), she might wanna go to egypt. So she'd be tied down with the cats....of course I could board them but I board them in guelph! how ridiculous would that be to be in the same city theyre boarded in. My mom hasnt complained or anything but she's also never had to scoop litter or clean up vomit or or or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
WooHoo on your acceptance to Guelph Onster, of course there was no doubt in my mind that you would be accepted......Harvard here I come
lol lol thanks chris...one step at a time
I am sure you will find a place that will accept the Kittehs, Mama is sure going to miss them :sad:.....I know some peeps that live in Guelph Onster, if you are having too much difficulty, let me know and I will get in touch with them for you
i think i found a few places to look at this weekend. but thanks so much for ure offer!

Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Congrats on the Master's Onster!

Keep looking, it'll be worth it. When I moved into my first apartment by myself I had to look around to find a place that would take my two cats, but when I did it was perfect! My landlord ended up being kind of a crazy cat man and was thrilled that I had two of my own...there's a place there for you, don't give up...
thanks and
hmmmmm crazy cat person landlord sounds like fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
L4H is right, you are not required to tell them you have pets, and even if you sign a lease that states no pets, it is not legally binding because it is illegal for the landlord to have that in the lease in the first place (I went to the housing tribunal to learn all this in person, in my case it also meant that a landlord could not force a person not to smoke in their residence either, which sucked for me). Basically they informed me that once you have paid your rent and deposit and moved in, the landlord has no say in what you do inside YOUR living space, unless you are damaging the property or disturbing other residents in some way (meowing/barking late at night, wild parties, vermin, stench etc). So know your rights while you look, because those landlords certainly think they know theirs. (can you tell mine is a slumlord?? )

And congrats on the acceptance!!! I have to say it really does make it easier on you if you find a landlord that doesn't mind pets, so don't panick, you'll find something.
I'm not panicking...yet!!!! lol. I dunno first time ill be on my own...tho ill be so close to home. Don't get me wrong im very independent...im noit gonna die or anytnhing..but ill miss it. Also an extra reason i want my kitties with me ...for company
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
lol i though u meat the u of georgia lol
lol sorry shoulda been more clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Don't worry onster - I went to U of G too and I had Jake with me the whole time - I lived in three different places in town and found a place that would take him in each time..

It is against the law for them to say no pets - so if you don't mention it, it's no big deal.. I like to avoid the ones that blatantly say "no pets" on the ad (because they are probably jerks) but for the other ones, just ignore them!

Hope you found a great place - it's a beautiful school! (at least it was 10 years ago when I was there last )
Thanks phoozles! Im excited. UW is a good school but kinda boring..and its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying how they treat engineering students like Gods but the rest of us...we can pick at the leftovers (funding, cool equipment, nice labs, good exam times...all for the engineers)

Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to say before I started looking i never knew that apartment could mean its not in a building nobody really rents part of their house in the middle east..we dont even have basements. there apartment = in building. hahaha another immigrant experience.

Im learning lotsa terminology tho lol. Im looking to be in a building ....i wouldnt feel tooo comfortable living in somebody's basement to be honest (especially on my own) and my dad is dead-set against it. If it were up to him there would be armed guards in the form of building security

My mom is having fun imaging how were gonna layout the place. SHe's already planning sleepovers. "were gonna need a futon for when i come to stay with you" hahahaha

this is gonna be interesting.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:47 AM

Congrats on the Masters

I know all about trying to find apt w/pets I'm in a 2-cat allowed apt now but dogs are strictly forbidden (someone adopted a puppy & they had to move out - manager was really good about it though - let them stay until they found another place ). I was just looking online in my area the other day to see what was currently available for cats & dogs - all out of my $$$ bracket

you find a nice place soon

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM

First of all Congrats!

Guelph is a great school... good luck
I know that in toronto, there are real estate agents who help people with pets find places...
Maybe you can look up and see if there is anyone like that in guelph? Or contact her and see if she'll reference you to a guelph agent?
Our last rental before we bought, we went through a real estate agent to find... made it very easy and we found a great place that could house the then one dog and two cats!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Im with 14+ be sneaky if your cats are indoors they may never know. If they don't ask don't offer up the info. I never do. Imagine when I had Buddy kind of hard sneaking a 200 pound dog around. My ex landlord tried to kick us out but he could not since the dog was not loud or destructive plus all my neighbours loved him. He even tried not renewing my lease and I won that also. In Ontario they cannot refuse you because of your pets unless they are loud destructive or aggressive. I am guessing your cats are not any of these things. Good luck and Congrats.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Onster, congratulations on your Masters. You go girl! I'm sure you'll find something that suits you if you have the time to look. It will be a very exciting time for you to say the least. Good luck with the housing hunt. (Bunduk be a good boy and help your mommy...)
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

How much are you looking to spend? What area do you want to live in? Do you drive/have means of transportation?
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.gscrentals.com/Apartments/Guelph/
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-housing-ap...AdIdZ140264536
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-housing-ap...AdIdZ140370554
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did you have any luck this weekend, onster?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks all! thanks bearsmom for the links I do drive and have a car tho the closer to the uni the better (gas $$). I dont really have a strict budget per se...seems one bedrooms in building are around the $600-750 range tho. Needs to be in appartment building (no basements of houses or anything) with a designated parking spot for my car...secured entrance (parents request)...higher up floors (dads request). It has to has to be relatively quiet area. I am a home studier (don't do libraries) and would rip all my hair out if i had to deal w constant noise..or id fail. I havent rented before so this alll very very new to me....ill get a feel for the places and the area when i go on saturday. Ive never actually been to guelph..heard the campus is pretty .

hazel, i didnt end up going last week..was sooooo busy!

I have appointments set up for this sat though....4 places to see

One one the places the woman was kinda reluctant but then said a cat is ok. The other lady (who has 2 places rent) asked what kind of pet then when I said cat she said that was totally fine. The other guy i have yet to ask

Also I only mentioned one kitty. I dont wanna push my luck with these appartments because these were the only ones i found so far in areas i am ok with (and reasonable rents) that didnt flat out say no pets. Im thinking they wont be able to tell if i have one cat or 2

Last edited by onster; July 9th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

ill be sure to update sunday for everyone

soooo who'll be close to guelph then, so we can visit? 14+???

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:16 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
merci merci.... dunno bout keeping it on the downlo...bunduk meows I have never had them in an apartment so i dunno if the noise would carry. I mean he wont keep the neighbours up or anything but im sure someone at some point would he hear him whining "meow meow meow meeeeeeeeeeooooow meeeeow" *I pick him up* "puuuuuurrrr"
Guess I should have clarified. I meant keep it on the downlow when searching for a place. Like in do not volunteer the info to the landlord(s). If they ask I suppose you would have to say yes, one cat. But really, in a university/college town they know they are renting to students and don't usually think about those students having pets. Once you are in the apartment they can not kick you out for having a pet unless Bunduk is causing power outages by chewing on cords.

Oh, and visiting - about an hour away.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

oh i know 14+ but what if i dont tell them then they hear meowing and i get kicked out or something??? i dunno.

an hour eh? ill be sure to visit then If ull have me I cant/couldnt really visit when im living at home b/c my mom would stress too much...she wants to know where am i then if she knew i was driving somewhere new/ on highway she would be soooooooooo worried/freaked id get into a car crash. I mean im 22 i can go wherever but while living at home there is no reason to put stress onto my mom....overprotective moms..gotta love them lol ( i do i do )

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

lol...the thing is cuz im so new at this/not too smart when i asked the first person bout pets..and she asked what kind? i said cat..but then i had to add...he's not declawed..but he doesnt scratch! well nothing but his post. I trained him..he's a good boy. Oh and he's neutered. ....why did I even have to mention the claws? just nerves i guess lol. I guess cuz i saw some ads of ppl looking to rent who had cats and they always mention in the ad how their cat is declawed and all.

oh boy am i gonna have fun bunduk proofing a new place lol.