Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Doggie Wench

There's Lorraine Martinez Ph.D. who teaches at the Humane Society of Missouri in St. Louis (1201 Macklind Avenue). You can email her here: lorraine.martinez@hsmo.org or call (314) 647-8800 for referrals.
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Sammi, I am in Poplar Bluff, MO.

Where is your mom at? I can help her find someone.
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM

Washington. Most people don't know where it is though, It's pretty close to 6 flags. I need to find someone affordable because I will be paying for it and I really am tight on money at the moment and can't afford hundreds of dollars for a trainer. I do however think a trainer will really help the situation. It will teach my mom ways to get him to listen, which is what she is most frusturated about right now. He used to know a bunch of tricks like sit and lay down, but he un-learned them somehow (this was before I moved) and I can't get him to do those anymore, but he understands stay and he dances, it's really cute. He stands up on his back feet and spins around. He also loves fetch, he doesn't have to look far to find one of his toys to start a game with. I would really like it if he would do the basic tricks again and I want to teach him speak because I think that will help with the barking problem. Just need to work on the potty training now because that is the biggest problem right now (barking comes in second). Does anyone know why he will be laying down and then get up, walk over to the couch and pee and then go lay down again? He doesn't even let us know he has to go out, he just goes on the furnature. He has been fixed but he still marks everything. Does he just need to be crated and taken out alot, or is he maybe doing it for a reason...I need help solving this one...
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Dogs need routine when potty training. He should be walked in the morning for his business, in the afternoon, after work and just before your bedtime (mom's bedtime). The time is the most important as this will regulate him. Once he does his business, you praise him. Also, in the home (until this is under control), he should have boundries. If he is marking mostly in the living room then he should not be allowed in there at all.

Crating is good however, your mom may get over zealous with this and just leave him there all the time. I believe there are threads about this. Look them up.

He just needs routine and boundries. Once this is understood by him, everything else will fall into place.

Others here will give you more advice on everything. Good luck and keep mom always encouraged.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM

Smile Update

Talked to my mom today and she said that she has stopped yelling at him and he did bite her yesterday when she brought him outside to go potty, but he didn't bite today! I told her that he still sees her as a possible threat so he doesn't want to let his guard down and it will take a while to build the trust back up, but we have progress! Also found a trainer and she wants to do it, so we should be starting that up within the next few weeks. Things are turning around and getting better

Andy (dog)-birthday October 16, 2007
Sophie (cat)-birthday March 20 2009
Annabelle (cat)-passed away March 2010
Missy (cat)-not sure when her birthday is, she was a rescue

Andy lives with my cousin in New Mexico, the cat's live in Missouri with my parents. All are very loved

*Rip Michael, we will all love and miss you very much. Love ya bud*
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

This is a classic case of fear aggression. I'm glad she is willing to work with a trainer. These behaviors will take time to rehabilitate - she has destroyed any trust he may have had in her - and that will take time to overcome. She needs to be aware that every single time she raises her voice, and especially if she hits him, it reinforces his fear and will take just that much longer to undo the damage.

Methods to stop the bad behaviors would depend on the behavior. If she doesn't catch him in the act of peeing, then she cannot correct him at all. I'm actually surprised that she isn't finding spots where he has hidden to pee. Normally a dog that has learned to associate his own waste with his human suddenly becoming violent will learn to hide his waste - in his mind it's not WHERE he went, but that his human saw it so he will make every effort to make sure they don't see it. If she does catch him in the act, a simple "NO" (said firmly, but calmly) while moving him outside will do. Once outside, if he finishes the act, then praise like he just won the lottery for you. And the spots must be cleaned with an enzyme solution to destroy the smell. If the smell is still there, he'll continue to go there. Most of the destructive behaviors are likely frustration and anxiety. I would not advocate for use of the crate since it's been used as a punishment for him. Increase the exercise, confine him in an area of the house where he cannot damage anything (and that can be easily cleaned if he has an accident) when he needs to be confined, use the umbilical training when she is home and he is not confined, practice NILF (nothing in life is free) and definitely work with the trainer.

Tags
aggression, biting, dog