Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM

HELLO! I'm back with an update!

Wow... I haven't been here in so long. So much has happened since the spring that I haven't even had a chance to say hello or post pictures.

But, better late then never I suppose. HELLO everyone! hahaha
Here goes for my update...

1-I've quit my job

2-I changed provinces

3-Moved in with some friends to start a Kennel

4-Kennel Started, we've started breeding American Bulldogs and Pekingese.

5-As of yesterday we now have 9 American Bulldogs, 5 Pekingese, and 2 mutts.

6- We're now looking forward to 2 more AB's in late Jan 08 for a final count of 18 dogs. LOL (And most live indoors with us so we're quite busy house training, cleaning, playing, feeding, sleeping. HAHA)

My mozart is doing great. He's finally getting along with the big dogs and playing with them... well with the female AB's anyway. He's not really interested in the males although he's fixed.

That being said, I'm back at work full time and helping my roommies with the Kennel on the side. My fun is to spoil, love, hug, pet the pups and fall asleep with them on the couch. Playing and feeding is awesome. The poop picking however, I leave that to them. LOL

Life is great now. Mo and I are enjoying the coutry life very much. We now live in the Laurentians and I'm sure, if you enjoy dog shows, you may find us there once in a while helping out with the bullies.

Well that's it for now. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. But in the country, dialup makes picture posting quite a test for my patience. LOL.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

HELLO I'm

You're breeding dogs while there are sooooo many sitting in shelters?
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Doggie Wench

This is a joke, right? Right????
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Papa D

good one...almost had me there....you are jokin right.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Wow

Definitely not the response I was expecting. No I'm not joking. Yes my friends are breeding dogs. But if you read carefully I do it on a part time basis. My friends own the kennel and I'm there to help.

Don't get me wrong, I do care about the dogs in shelters - there is a lot that I am learning while taking on this responsibility. I know, some are probably going to comment that I obviously don't do enough for those dogs and I totally agree.

Personally this was an opportunity that got me out of a really rough time in my life, hense why we jumped on it. Both my partner and I are looking into different options at this point. As much as we love the breeds that we are currently helping with, the plan is to hopefully be able to buy our own land and possibly start fostering / and get involved with rescues to help find good homes for those in need.

But anyway.. enough explaining. This is a choice I made and I'm hoping as time goes by I will be able to find the support and information here to get plans in progress as opposed to be given sarcastic comments in regards to the road I decided to take.
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Notwithstanding your improved quality of life - and good for you - you must see the paradox in working for what is probably a high-end mill and at the same time planning to go into rescue. Statistically, a percentage of the dogs you are helping to raise will not only displace dogs needing homes (including cast-off Pekinese and AB's) but may even end up being rescued themselves. Sometimes it's hard to consider the big picture, but that doesn't change anything.
That being said, I hope it all works out for you. We all seem to want the same thing - land, and as many animals as we can afford .

Last edited by badger; December 12th, 2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

So this kennel that your friend has started, are they showing and breeding them? Have they been working with these breeds for a long period of time.

While I certainly don't believe in breeding dogs in the interest of making money with no consideration given to the betterment or welfare of the breed, breeding for the betterment and love of the breed and showing and training their dogs is what makes good breeders tick.
My breeder has a sizeable kennel, shows and breeds keeshonden and spaniels. Teaches confirmation handling and obedience and boards dogs as well. The boarding and the classes are the foundation of their business, the puppies from a few select breedings a year are a time consuming and expensive way to develop and strenghten their lines so they'll breed as close to their ideal of the standard, and the dog shows an expensive way to show off their hard work and dedication and for the love of competing in them. Just because a breeder has a kennel doesn't automatically make them a bad thing, or just because they're just starting up their own breeding kennel doesn't make it bad either, if they've taken the time to find the best foundation bitches they can buy and have worked with and continue to work with seasoned breeders on the development and health of the breed that they have chosen.
If this is how and why your friends have started breeding dogs, then I wish them well, if on the otherhand, they're breeding non champion and/or non CKC registered stock, not testing adults selected to breed for a number of inheritable health problems just for the sake of making lots of puppies and lot's of money off those puppies, then they have no business breeding.

Cindy
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Very well said, CLM, especiallly about breeding out inherited conditions of the breed.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
So this kennel that your friend has started, are they showing and breeding them? Have they been working with these breeds for a long period of time.

While I certainly don't believe in breeding dogs in the interest of making money with no consideration given to the betterment or welfare of the breed, breeding for the betterment and love of the breed and showing and training their dogs is what makes good breeders tick.
My breeder has a sizeable kennel, shows and breeds keeshonden and spaniels. Teaches confirmation handling and obedience and boards dogs as well. The boarding and the classes are the foundation of their business, the puppies from a few select breedings a year are a time consuming and expensive way to develop and strenghten their lines so they'll breed as close to their ideal of the standard, and the dog shows an expensive way to show off their hard work and dedication and for the love of competing in them. Just because a breeder has a kennel doesn't automatically make them a bad thing, or just because they're just starting up their own breeding kennel doesn't make it bad either, if they've taken the time to find the best foundation bitches they can buy and have worked with and continue to work with seasoned breeders on the development and health of the breed that they have chosen.
If this is how and why your friends have started breeding dogs, then I wish them well, if on the otherhand, they're breeding non champion and/or non CKC registered stock, not testing adults selected to breed for a number of inheritable health problems just for the sake of making lots of puppies and lot's of money off those puppies, then they have no business breeding.

Cindy
As a matter of fact, we have been showing all dogs. We have won many Best of Class Classic Female/Male puppies and some best of shows. Our 10 month old AB now has her ABRA Jr. Champion. All dogs are ABRA Registered. One is currently training for her "Iron Man" title (Schutzhund training) while a few are homeschooled so to speak for obediance, hang time and weight pulling. (We even have the pekes loving the hang time and fiestiest puppy play time). We also have in mind to train a couple of them as therapeutic dogs, which will take a lot of time - and the dogs will actually have to pass exams in order to use them in hospitals and nursing homes. (yes, we are very busy - hence why our friends invited us to help... we now have our own little group involved as well with the showing and training but they reside off the property)

We are breeding to promote the breed and its many many qualities. That being said, in our adoption contract is indicated that if the dog is sold as family pet it must be spayed / neutered and on that we offer a 200$ refund with proof of surgery from a vet. Selected dogs, those with most potential are placed in homes where the owners will "work" the dog and/or show them. We will also have a clause for that in the contract.

This isn't about making money. We are really trying to promote the breed for what it really is and not for what people think it is EI breed specific legislations.

two pictures.

The 3 girls on the couch enjoying cuddle time. (The white one with the black patch is our Jr Champion) In the second picture - Puppy's 2nd day home. He's bonding with our roommate.
Attached Images

Last edited by melz; December 13th, 2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by melz View Post
As a matter of fact, we have been showing all dogs. We have won many Best of Class Classic Female/Male puppies and some best of shows. Our 10 month old AB now has her ABRA Jr. Champion. All dogs are ABRA Registered.
Why do you chose to not register with the CKC? What about the Pekes, where do they get registered.

clm
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wow... I haven't been here in so long. So much has happened since the spring that I haven't even had a chance to say hello or post pictures.

But, better late then never I suppose. HELLO everyone! hahaha
Here goes for my update...

1-I've quit my job

2-I changed provinces

3-Moved in with some friends to start a Kennel

4-Kennel Started, we've started breeding American Bulldogs and Pekingese.

5-As of yesterday we now have 9 American Bulldogs, 5 Pekingese, and 2 mutts.

6- We're now looking forward to 2 more AB's in late Jan 08 for a final count of 18 dogs. LOL (And most live indoors with us so we're quite busy house training, cleaning, playing, feeding, sleeping. HAHA)

My mozart is doing great. He's finally getting along with the big dogs and playing with them... well with the female AB's anyway. He's not really interested in the males although he's fixed.

That being said, I'm back at work full time and helping my roommies with the Kennel on the side. My fun is to spoil, love, hug, pet the pups and fall asleep with them on the couch. Playing and feeding is awesome. The poop picking however, I leave that to them. LOL

Life is great now. Mo and I are enjoying the coutry life very much. We now live in the Laurentians and I'm sure, if you enjoy dog shows, you may find us there once in a while helping out with the bullies.

Well that's it for now. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. But in the country, dialup makes picture posting quite a test for my patience. LOL.
Well, as long as MOST live indoors...pekineese and AB do really well outside though so it's ok....

Glad you like the new digs, but come on! You've been here long enough to know that wanting to start a rescue while being a BYB wouldn't fly....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Why do you chose to not register with the CKC? What about the Pekes, where do they get registered.

clm
The CKC and ABRA are working together in regards to the breed standards in order to be able to register the AB's under CKC. That is my understanding of it. There is a fight going on about the breed standards - what is right and what is wrong, so it is still in the works. I think it went so far as going to the courts but don't quote me on that. This only comes from my understanding of my roommate's phone conversations.

Meb99,

All but 2 dogs are indoors. Two of our AB's were raised to be outdoor dogs. We adopted them at a later age and because there were already used to a specific routine, we didn't want to drastically change it. Their pen has a dogloo placed under a covered area big enough to play and stay dry. For the winter we've insulated their dogloo with hay and they also have a high voltage heat lamp which they seem to enjoy very much.

For more protein and carbs they are on a 1/2 raw 1/2 kibble diet for which we consulted with a vet. All are doing absolutely great.

As for now, the rescue remains on the back burner as my partner and I do not own our own property but rent a room at our friend's Kennel. The kennel isn't ours so the plan is to start rescue once we have our own peice of land and we'll seperate ourselves from breeding.

M.
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
One is currently training for her "Iron Man" title (Schutzhund training)

What is that???