Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 22nd, 2014, 07:41 PM

sick cat

Hi: my cat had really bad constipation last week. I took her to a vet and asked her to put her under to do an enema. Well when I picked her up the bill was $627.00. I said what!!!!! She had all these things she had done and never even called me to OK it. I am so upset over this.
Attached Images

Old November 22nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It looks like they did a CBC to check the health of your kitty before they put her under. That's actually fairly standard practice although I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you before they did the procedure. The rest of the bill is for the exam, procedure and meds.

What did they say when you asked about the bill?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:02 PM

When my cat was constipated several months ago, the vet hesitated for a week to give her an enema because she had other issues. He gave me lactulose syrup, and Laxatone, told me to put water in her canned food, and also give her tuna oil. Did your vet suggest other alternatives first?
Old November 22nd, 2014, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog had an enema he was not put under anesthesia , you got a $83 discount does the vet do that will everyone? How is your cat doing now ? I always ask how much it will cost so I will not be so shocked when I get my bill.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:35 AM

I don't know if the vet gives others discounts. She is doing fine now. No the vet never suggested anything else. This was the first time I've went to a vet since she was spayed five yrs ago. When I asked about the bill she said all this was needed. That's the reason for the discount.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

The Vet should have explained all that might be necessary to you ahead of time, what it could end up costing and you should have been asked to sign a waiver allowing them to do those things. My cat has been to the Vet for enema twice and she was so sick she did not need to be sedated let alone anaesthetized for it. You say you asked for your girl to be put under however if that was not needed the Vet should have told you and not done it, though it probably was needed. I'm glad she's ok now.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
The Vet should have explained all that might be necessary to you ahead of time, what it could end up costing and you should have been asked to sign a waiver allowing them to do those things. My cat has been to the Vet for enema twice and she was so sick she did not need to be sedated let alone anaesthetized for it. You say you asked for your girl to be put under however if that was not needed the Vet should have told you and not done it, though it probably was needed. I'm glad she's ok now.
That might not be true , there are some vets that will do anything to made extra money . I took my hearing dog to a vet and she told my dog had a heart murmur and that he needed a $200 x ray right away and I said 'NO"
then the vet said he will have to come in every month to be seen . I knew she was full of _ b/c it cost $5,000 to train a hearing dog and they had to pass a heath exam before thy start any training. I ran into people that had uses same vet and they said she did the same to them . The vet office is owned by a new vet now.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:32 PM

I agree with Longblades, if it wasn't necessary, the vet shouldn't have put your cat under. Mine was done years ago, and didn't need anesthesia.
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:24 PM

never again

I will never take Trissy back to that vet, she took advantage of me. She only mailed me a bill because I phoned her after I got home and said to her you didn't give me a bill. Trissy is not good with strangers she loses it. She howls hisses and attacks. So no choice but to put her to sleep. I am currently looking for another vet in case something happens again. It is so expensive, I am on a fixed disability and this cost has set me way behind on my bills. I checked out cat insurance wow expensive. I think it is so terrible that vets charge such high prices.
But if you love your pet as I do. Then you will do anything for them.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 05:58 PM

answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It looks like they did a CBC to check the health of your kitty before they put her under. That's actually fairly standard practice although I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you before they did the procedure. The rest of the bill is for the exam, procedure and meds.

What did they say when you asked about the bill?
They said nothing I was to Soft I just wanted her back. That was the first vet she has ever gone to. The vet had done all this in less than a 2 hour period. Then we picked her up. It takes longer than that for the sedation to leave her system I found out. So I believe she lied. Now I took her to a new vet this week and she bit the vet. Now I have the health dept. Coming here. Is that procedure, for the vet to report it to the health dept.? I took her in because she was having difficulty urinating. So far 2 visits no satisfaction. JUST painkillers to help her pee. THEY said the sedation didn't work, so they couldn't take blood, or urine to be tested. She is still suffering. I never heard of a vet that couldn't sedate a cat, that she fought it.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:05 PM

answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
When my cat was constipated several months ago, the vet hesitated for a week to give her an enema because she had other issues. He gave me lactulose syrup, and Laxatone, told me to put water in her canned food, and also give her tuna oil. Did your vet suggest other alternatives first?
No she did all this then she gave me lactulose. She was in it for the money. She has very bad reviews on line.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:08 PM

answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
My dog had an enema he was not put under anesthesia , you got a $83 discount does the vet do that will everyone? How is your cat doing now ? I always ask how much it will cost so I will not be so shocked when I get my bill.
I only asked for the enema and sedation. She should have called me for anything else.