Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 19th, 2017, 01:31 PM

integrating kitten with older cat

Hey all! it's apparently been years since I have posted anything on here. I guess no news is good news, because until lately, everything was awesome. So to update: I did have to let my dog Remington go a few years ago, which was extremely hard, but I had Boo and Gizmo, which helped. We all moved in with my mother and her 4 year old yellow lab, and we blocked off three rooms at one end of the house and let dog and cats slowly integrate. We had it to the point the cats would basically ignore the dog or exchange face licks, although they never really figured out how to play together. Then last January, my gizmo suddenly went paralyzed on his back end. we rushed him to the emergency vet, who told me he'd had a blood clot turn into an embolism and there was nothing they could really do and I had to let him go. Boo and I were pretty devastated, as you might imagine.

Then a couple weeks ago, I was kind of idly browsing through the local petfinder cats and ran into a picture of a tiny orange tabby with one ear missing, and part of his other ear and a nostril missing. So I went to meet him and he just purrs like a freight train and kept giving me kitty kisses and hugs for the entire hour I visited.

Brought him home and put him in his own bedroom, both to give them time to acclimate and keep him from getting Boo sick, as he still had the tail end of a sinus infection. We saw the vet and got meds for his infected ears, sinuses, and roundworms.

He's a bit of an escape artist, and managed to get out of the bedroom and use Boo's litterbox, so just to be safe, she's also on a dewormer. it also kind of bumped up the meeting process. And she did not like the baby. Growling and hissing, as one might expect. The couple times she jumped the gate to be with me in the baby's room, he chased her around and cornered her until I was able to move furniture and rescue her.

as a precaution, I bought a feliway multicat plug in and I've had that going since Friday. This hissing seems less, and I haven't seen Boo's ears go flat to her head. I was holding Rocky on the floor, and she came over and sniffed him, licked his head, then started growling as she licked his head. It seemed like progress, so I've changed things up and blocked Rocky OUT of our room, and given him the run of the rest of the house. They were both on the high cat tree, with Rocky on the platform above Boo's head, and she was curled around the center post kicking and biting it. then it shifted to smacking each other the way she used to with Gizmo. and then she started hissing again. So I have no idea if I'm on the right track here, and I don't want to get too premature with any of this. I feel like she wants to like him but he's just way too energetic for her, as her objections almost always come when he runs and pounces too close to her. and he is VERY energetic. I don't remember either Gizmo or Boo being this non stop running and pouncing and and jumping at his age.

So. That's our situation. She seems to want to at least be in the same room as him, but would prefer that he ignore her. Or something. Thoughts?