Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old September 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Question about cat throwing up

I have a cat that is 13 and in good health. He likes to eat grass, which he will throw up from time to time, but i dont worry about it because he has always done it and i have seen many cats do it. But what worries me is now when he does throw up, he falls over. He cant stay upright. It scares me, what if he were to choke when i am not around. He is fine any other time, has good balance, can jump up on things, he roles on his perch and doesnt fall off. So i cant figure out why now all of a sudden when he throws up he falls over. Has any one else had this problem, is it because he is older ?
Thanks.
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sounds like it's time for a thorough vet check to rule out any problems.
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Catlover2

I've never observed a cat falling over after having thrown up or heard of it, but a vet visit and checkup may throw some light on this. Could be related to his age. Let us know what the vet says.
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM

I called the vet today. They said that i should keep an eye one him and if anything else changes, or i see anything different in his routine i should bring him in. Because of his age, they believe it is probably due to that, and we have talked about his weight, which like i said he is only 1 or 2 pounds over weight. So i will have to just keep an eye on him, and i am keeping him away from the grass, because he dont throw up very often from food or hairballs, which he rarely gets hairballs even though he is fluffy.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesgirl View Post
I called the vet today. They said that i should keep an eye one him and if anything else changes, or i see anything different in his routine i should bring him in.
Seriously? Isn't the falling over while vomiting enough of a change in his routine? What more are they looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesgirl View Post
Because of his age, they believe it is probably due to that,
That's ridiculous. My cat is 16 and he doesn't just vomit and then collapse. When was the last time you had your cat in for a senior wellness exam (including blood work and a urinalysis)? If it's been more than 6 months, you might want to book an appt despite your vet's lackadaisical attitude (maybe try a different vet, while you're at it). I'd also suggest possibly a chest x-ray and an EKG to see if there is a cardiac issue at the root of this.

Age is not a disease, and cats can easily live into their late teens, even 20s. At 13, your cat could still have many more years ahead of him, but if there is something ailing him, you want to catch it early so that you have the best chance of treating it.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:00 PM

I found this website > http://www.thecatpractice.com/felineemergency.html

This is what it said >
Fainting/ and or Falling over
Can be caused by a multitude of serious problems. It is an emergency unless it is shortly before or after vomiting which will cause a temporary lack of blood to the brain.

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I don't know. If it were one of mine that was falling over after vomiting I would be rushing him/her to the vet for a very thourough check up. Just my
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Catlover2

I was surprised to read your link, as I had not heard of this before. Learn something new every day!
Just wondering if the grass he's eating was sprayed with weed killer? or some other kind of spray?
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
I was surprised to read your link, as I had not heard of this before. Learn something new every day!
Just wondering if the grass he's eating was sprayed with weed killer? or some other kind of spray?
No there is no weed killer in our lawn, we dont use it. But i dont believe he is being poisoned because he is fine before and after he vomits. And like i said he only vomits when he eats too much grass, rarely otherwise. But he seems to lose his balance from the convulsions ( as i call them) that they do to vomit.
I did some more searching and found a women who had an 8 year old cat do the same thing, she was on Catster. She asked if anyone had heard of it, and of course no one did. This was in march of 2008. So i emailed her and asked her if she ever found out anything or what was the outcome. She emailed me back and said that (sophie) was fine, and yes she still does it when she vomits, but she was checked out by the vet with blood work and there was nothing wrong. They believe it is her equilibrium being throwed off by the convultions of vomiting.
I am going to call around to other vets, and see if i can get there opinions also.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know why so many people think 13 yrs is old for a cat,it's not,more like early senior even that is debatable.
My 13yr old and 12yr old have more spunk and energy than my 7yr old cat.
I hope your kitty will be ok,kittiegirl
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Please take your cat to the vet. Calling around and asking vet's opinions (which they should not be giving without seeing the cat), asking people on the internet or by email does not necessarily mean you have found the answer to what is going on with your cat. She needs to see a vet in person, have bloodwork done at the very least.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Young or old, if he's fainting, even if he's not throwing up I'd take him to the vet.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/