Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:53 AM
Pet slave.

Question Itchy Puppy

I have a 13 week old long hair chihuahua puppy who has a serious itching problem! Ever since I brought her home 4 weeks ago, she has been scratching non-stop. She even chews her fur to the point where it is starting to get thin! The itching is mostly on her back and shoulders, she has chewed the fur on her hindquarters/sides where she can reach it. It isn't fleas, she's white and I inspect her daily - no flea dirt whatsoever, she's spotless. I suggested Cheyletiella to the vet, as it's the only thing I've seen which matches her symptoms. The vet said she didn't see too much dandruff (even though I can see it..I don't think she looked hard enough), and when they used the flea comb and had a look under the microscope, they didn't see any mites. They sent me home with Advantage Multi, but she thinks it is likely food related.

The breeder was feeding Iams (yuck), I have been feeding her Now! Grain free small breed since I brought her home. The vet suggests a food trial if there is no improvement after the next dose of Advantage (which is due in three weeks). I refuse to feed the z/d or any prescription diet for that matter.

I'm almost hoping it isn't Cheyletiella, as then I'll have 5 cats to treat as well ($$$!), and a ton of housecleaning to do!

Any suggestions besides mites or food allergies? She doesn't chew her paws or the base of her tail, her ears look great, it's mostly just her back that seems itchy.

Just for reference, the ingredients in the Now grain free are:

De-boned turkey, potato flour, pea, apple, whole dried egg, pea fibre, tomato, potato, flaxseed, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E) , natural flavor, salmon, de-boned duck, sundried alfalfa, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, dried kelp, flaxseed, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, vitamins ( vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement) , minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, chicory extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, yeast extract, yucca schidigera extract, marigold extract, garlic powder, L-carnitine, dried rosemary.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It could be she has allergies to turkey (fowl) or potatoes or any one of the ingredients in the food. It could even be from the Iams if she was scratching at the breeders. All you can do is eliminate the source.
Can you try a unique food source like venison or rabbit? I believe it is 6 to 8 weeks for the allergen to completely leave the body.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I went through the exact same thing. Back, shoulders and armpits. Sorry to say we never figured it out. I'm thinking immune problems for my dog. Don't bother with z/d. Try a single source food that is different from all the rest. Go makes a duck and quinoa? Ziwipeak makes pure buffalo or venison? Lot's of food avenues, try for 12 weeks, no treats. Also consider enviromental allergies? Keep a log cause it's alot to remember. Another thing I would consider is a holistic vet over a dermatologist vet. It costs us 1500.00 dollars to play a guessing game. Another thing, does her skin smell? That's another condition. She also may develop skin infections because of the scratching.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM

Dry Skin, possibly? My dogs get dry skin(both long hair) and are always biting/scratching there behinds... I will crack an egg in their food sometimes, its supposed to help with Dry, itchy skin... Good luck
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Banned Temporarily

My pup has a problem with that too. She scratched and dug. I called the vet and asked what the problem migh be. He said it could be dry skin, or anything. Her coat was pretty dull so I got brewers yeast tablets and I give her a half of one everyday and when I bathe her I do it with cooler water and only when its a must! I also use oatmeal bath instead of just the plain hypoallergenic and it seems to be working great. I would think your vet would know if it was just plain dry skin though. I am with the others though, it could be a food allergy. I have to cook my little ones food now. Chicken (de-boned of course) , a pasta rice, or egg noodle she likes the egg noodle the best, and carrots and broccoli. 50% protein and 25% pasta 25% vegetable. You can also use rabbit, beef, and some other meats as well as othe pastas and vegetables but I have not been doing it long so I havnt changed it up much. I also give her a daily vitamin as recommended so I dont miss any essential nutrients. She is doing alot better now. How the little one starts doing better!
Old May 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM

the food you are feeding is fine just change your protein sourse some dogs do have problems with chickens meat try fish or venison keep lamb as your last choice. go to this site i heard they have something that is great for itching. dinovite. com