Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 31st, 2017, 05:57 PM

House Training Helllppp!!!

So Betsy is 10 months old now, and we are still struggling with house training her. We seem to have taught her to pee on the kitchen floor, and then let me know she has done it by going and sitting in her pen. **SIGH** Please help. I'm losing my mind!
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:28 AM

What are you currently doing for training?
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry but I LOL when I read this , I know it's to you but it was funny to read .

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/get...g-for-puppies/

I found this web site that may help you .
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I am sorry but I LOL when I read this , I know it's to you but it was funny to read .

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/get...g-for-puppies/

I found this web site that may help you .
Thanks I'll check it out. I'm sure I will laugh about it when we come out the other side but right now I'm just so frustrated. We take her out. If she pees we reward her. She doesn't always go. Sometimes she will pee on the carpet not 10 minutes after having been outside. I feel bad but I think the only solution is to confine her, all the time, except when out for walks or pee breaks. We feed her at the same times every day. She goes out more than every two hours except when we are not home, and then she is confined to an x pen with her pal Oreo. She can go like 5 hours in that pen without an accident. She doesn't have a nervous bladder. She has almost constant access to outside. She CAN do it. She doesn't seem to WANT to. She prefers peeing in the house. I am at wits end here.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi Silverwind
I am sorry your having some issues...its sooooo frustrating...
I would almost suggest you start her back at basics...when you first potty train they say that you should take them out every 2 hours regardless...you could probably manage a longer period .Also I would leash them to you... important part is to have them with you or leashed to you so that when they go to squat or lift a leg you can immediately take them outside, pee poo reward....eventually they do get it...some it takes longer.

When they are attached to you they learn what they can and cant do and also gives you the opportunity to be with them to correct any unwanted behaviour as it happens...
Its hard to do but if she is good in the crate for 5 hours then leash her to you after that period...its hard for folks that work but any little bit of this will help....they dont usually like being tied to you so they learn quickly

Hope this helps.....stay positive....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

There are products that will remove the pee smell from the floor and rugs , you have to get rid of the smell otherwise your puppy will think it's okay to keep peeing on the same spots . You could try teaching your puppy to ring bell when it needs to go out . The bell should be tried the door you use to take your puppy out . Pet stores sell bells for this reason . I take my dog water bowl up about a hour before going to bed and take him once before going to sleep . Have you tried staying outside 10 minutes and see if she'll pee outside , some dogs can be very picky about where they pee . My dog has to find the perfect spot,
he'll sniff at one spot for a few second and I am thinking he going to pee when he lift his leg then Marty will put his leg back down and decide he doesn't like the spot after all ! Then we have to go through the same all over again and sometime 3 times !
Old November 3rd, 2017, 10:06 AM

Oreo is another dog? Is Oreo housebroken? Do you take them out at the same time?

You mention frustrated, what is your reaction when the dog pees on the floor? Automatically lock her in the cage?
Old November 11th, 2017, 03:06 AM
HelloCutePup

You can try my solution. After feed your dog, you have to take him out of home or anywhere that you want him to pee on. Until your dog pee, force him to keep the position. I try this for my poodle. After 4-6 weeks, my puppy know exactly area that he should to pee.
Old November 11th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

You mean you forced your puppy to hold his hind leg until he peed ! When my dog does I said " You better go now" over and over and when he finish peeing I said "Good boy !" Now all I have to do is say " GO!" and Marty will pee . I had a hearing dog that was trained this way, he pooped and peed on demand .
Old January 12th, 2019, 10:02 AM

We housetrained our boy pretty quickly using puppy pads. We also added one of those doggie pee post hydrants on top as well. We left it in one spot at first and then rewarded him when he went on the pad. Any time he went somewhere else we used an enzyme spray so that he wouldnt smell the urine and pee there again. Once he was consistently going on the pad we started to move both the pad and the pee post closer and closer to our back door. And then one day just outside the back door, and then further and further into the yard. And then we took the pad away. While he didnt pee on the pee post right away he peed next to it. I think he saw it as a visual marker for his pee spot. And then he started peeing on it which was the goal from the start. I believe there may also be sprays you can use to get your dog to pee in certain spots, but we didnt need one.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; January 12th, 2019 at 10:30 AM. Reason: No promotional links, pls