Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 6th, 2011, 02:56 PM

2 cats will be left alone on the street soon

7 months ago i found home for a litter of 6 stray kittens. 5 months later the people who adopted 2 of them together (2 black and white males) want to get rid of them and they sent me an email. I am shocked. I can not take them back now because i have 6 cats in my mother in law's home and she hardly can take care of the 6 and i myself have 3 in my apartment + a baby.
i received their email and i am in shock. please let me know what to do. i dont want them to end up on the street or in spca. please help me i am so sad.
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Where are you?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

check for a rescue in your area, are they altered? it will be much easier getting them into one if they are , if not, offer to pay or help pay for them to be altered
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM

hi. thank you for replying.what do u mean altered? neutered? they will be neutered in a week. the people just told me. i am in Dorval and the people who have them are on st. laurent and sherbrooke near downtown..
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Contact me by PM and I will give you a list of places to contact.
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

PM sent. Good luck Monkas.
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Good luck
I hope so to. All I can do is give contacts. If it does not work out, I hope that the OP contacts me.
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hi Monkas. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know how hard you worked to get these kitties ready for good homes. And congrats on the baby btw!!
Is there any way your mom in law could add these two until you could find another home? I know easier said than done. I wish I had some room to help but I am more than full here. Does your MIL still have the kitties mom? I remember you had managed to bring her into the house and were trying to tame her. Did you have any luck?
I'll keep my fingers crossed something comes up for you. Please take BenMax up on her offer. She's a great person and wonderful resource.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Hi Monkas. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know how hard you worked to get these kitties ready for good homes. And congrats on the baby btw!!
Is there any way your mom in law could add these two until you could find another home? I know easier said than done. I wish I had some room to help but I am more than full here. Does your MIL still have the kitties mom? I remember you had managed to bring her into the house and were trying to tame her. Did you have any luck?
I'll keep my fingers crossed something comes up for you. Please take BenMax up on her offer. She's a great person and wonderful resource.
Thank you guys. I am so sad now. I cry every day i am so worried. Poor cats.. I know the rest of the litter are doing great but these 2 kitties didnt have luck and I am so sad. I feel like this is my responsibility and i need to help them. Too bad my mother in law is already kind of sick for bringing her that many cats and my father in law is also upset but they kind a dont have a choice. They dont want to hear for another addition even though temporarily, i even mentioned abaout the 2 cast and they almost ignored me)There are both retired and because of the 6 cats i brought to their house (in the last 6 years)they can not travel for a longer periods of time. They even want to sell their house and go live in their country(Bulgaria) but because of the cats i brought them they cant and of course they will not. I have 3 cats in my apartment and its tough for me because the apartment is very small and there is hair everywhere, although i try to clean it everyday the baby's hands are with cats hair everywhere..but that is ok.. i dont complain at all
Thank you. The baby is doing fine . My only worries are for the kitties..
Yes, the tortie mom is living in my MIL's house. She has been all winter indoors and she does not go out anymore since she is used to the house. Her "husband" also has been all winter in the house but he likes to poop in the backyard so he constantly scratches the door to go out to do his business.. (Yes i have worked very hard for a month(with my huge belly back then) and she finally trusted me and my husband so we have done a good job with both cats and of course we spayed/neutered them back then).They are separated by the other 4 cats because they fight a lot amongst each other.

I really want everything to sort out well soon and find loving home for both kitties. I just pray the people will keep them until we find another home.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Thank you so much BenMax. My husband is not working next Wednesday and while he takes care of the baby i will be contacting the list. Are these all shelters?In case they will be able to help, how exactly they can help? can you please let me know? thank you for all.
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkas View Post
Thank you so much BenMax. My husband is not working next Wednesday and while he takes care of the baby i will be contacting the list. Are these all shelters?In case they will be able to help, how exactly they can help? can you please let me know? thank you for all.
Most of what I provided where rescue groups. If they can help you, the cats would live in foster families. I do know that one of the groups I gave you cannot take them as they are full..however you can ask to 'courtesy list' but that means you need to find a place for them until they are placed.
Other avenues I provided are shelters. One is a shelter that does euthanize, the other is a no kill but is 2.5 hours away from you.

The quicker you do this the better. All rescues and shelters are filling up very quickly with kittens already. Most places have reached their maximum as it stands. Please get on this ASAP. One day lost is crutial during this period. You may get stuck.
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Monkas,I am so very sorry,hopefully there is a solution for these kitties
What kind of person will threaten you she'll put the cats on the street
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:59 PM

guys the ppl who have the cats are leaving Montreal on April 28th!!! This is too early, they notified me the last moment... Cross your fingers tomorrow a nice lady who is interested will see the cats. i hope she does not change her mind and i hope the cats are not afraid and i hope they will not hide..i will let u know..if she doesnt want the cats i will have till 27th to find home for them...
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM

today a very nice lady (her cat passed away not long ago from cancer at the age of 13) came to see the cats she liked them a lot she played with them for an hour and right after we put them into their cages so that she can take them home she started coughing and sneezing and her eyes got red and swollen. She said she has allergies to long haired cats(she has a small allergy when her cat was a kitten but it went a way) Now we are not sure if the allergy was from the dust over there in the apartment or maybe of the medication the cats had on their necks against flies. she also said she is allergic to medications. So now she wants to try again and come by and visit the cats and play again so then the people who has the cats will wash the cats and clean the dust we want to try. i am also allergic to dust and long haired cats. i have one long haired myself and my through is itchy when she sleeps next to me and i start sneezing but it is not that bad so i can deal with that. the same with dust. so i hope she will be fine and next time it will not happen. Can you guys let me know what you think?
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

When one of our other members got a kitten she was allergic to she made sure to vacuum every day, and to wipe the kitten down with a damp cloth or pet wipes. It is not the fur the lady would be allergic to. It would be the dander on the cats. Normally the longer you are in the cats' presence the better the allergy gets.
One thing - if you are talking about flea collars around the cats' necks please could you remove them? They are very dangerous for the cats. Thanks.

And good luck!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
When one of our other members got a kitten she was allergic to she made sure to vacuum every day, and to wipe the kitten down with a damp cloth or pet wipes. It is not the fur the lady would be allergic to. It would be the dander on the cats. Normally the longer you are in the cats' presence the better the allergy gets.
One thing - if you are talking about flea collars around the cats' necks please could you remove them? They are very dangerous for the cats. Thanks.

And good luck!!
hi, no its not a collar. it is some medication that you put at cats neck like a liquid.not sure what it is. i hope the allergy was from this medication?

i just read that unaltered male cats have the highest possibility to cause allergy to humans. the cats will be neutered on april 20th i hope this will help.
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Willing cat servant

You mean something like "Front Line" that comes in a little vial and you pour some drops on the back close to their neck and keeps the fleas away for months. It stays there for a while I don't know of a way to get rid of that. Just follow the advices of using wipes given here previously on the thread, that might help a little with that too.

I REALLY hope this kitties find at the very least a temporary home. You are so kind.
I don't get how people just can send cats back I know I wouldn't do that unless the safety and life of the cat was in danger.
But to the important point now where there's a will there's a way Best luck, good vibes and may a good solution come to you soon so those kitties get a second chance in a permanent and loving environment.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:28 AM

I hope the kitties find a good home with owners that love them
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM

so far no luck finding home for the cats. I have 6 more days to find them home. i only managed to find available space for them in SPCA of Western Quebec(do you know if cats and dogs there stay in cages?pls give me some feedback) and i can bring them over there if i don't find home for them in 6 days. On Monday I will want to call the Gazette and Metro journal to ask them if they can post an ad for me..i wish i had a foster home for a few more weeks so i can still try finding home for them. I am so sad. I cant stop crying...
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
Mickey, my angel

Is this one of the shelters that BenMax suggested you contact? I am not from your province and therefore am not familiar with this shelter. I have seen people mention this particular SPCA on this forum and have seen only positive things said about it. This is definitely a no-kill shelter and I'm sure they will do everything they can to ensure that the kitties end up in good homes. Here is some information on their website.

http://www.aylmer-hull-spca.qc.ca/about_us_e.html

Rescues and shelters are very full everywhere now and you are lucky there is an opening for them at this shelter.

If it was me, especially given that there is so little time left to look for other alternatives, I would rather take them to a reputable no-kill SPCA such as this one. You would be best to do this as soon as possible. They are unlikely to be able to guarantee a space for them for too long.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; April 22nd, 2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM

This is an awful situation. It is so irritating to me that people just leave their animals, especially if the "owners" were threatening to just put them on the street. Good luck with finding a place for these poor babies!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM

Good news guys!!! i found a very nice lady who adopted both cats!!! We went to her house today with the cats and she showed us pics of her 2 dogs who died of old age (at 11 and 13) and she also had a cat for 19 years. She is vegetarian as well. When we went in her house she has already bought food, litter and a new litter box for the cats today. We told her if anything she can call us anytime and we asked her to send us some pics and updates for the cats. I AM so Happy!!! Thank you guys for all the help and support.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Mickey, my angel

Monkas, that is awesome news.

It really didn't seem too hopeful that you would be able to find a suitable home by yourself with so little time left but you managed to do it and keep them together too.

She sounds like a very nice lady. that they will have long and happy lives in their new forever home.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
Is this one of the shelters that BenMax suggested you contact? I am not from your province and therefore am not familiar with this shelter. I have seen people mention this particular SPCA on this forum and have seen only positive things said about it. This is definitely a no-kill shelter and I'm sure they will do everything they can to ensure that the kitties end up in good homes. Here is some information on their website.
Indeed this was one I highly recommended.
Anyways - I am so glad that a home was found. I much prefer to see them safe in a home any day!.

This now frees up space at the shelter.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Monkas,that's fantastic news,no more worry for you
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM

That is wonderful news!! So glad those babies were able to find a good forever home!!
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

so happy it all worked out.
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:14 PM

I got some updates on the cats. They are already 1 full week in their new home, however they are still hiding. Especially one of the kitties stays like 20 hours a day hidden under the sink. I know it will be more difficult for them to adapt to their new home since they are about 7 months old, but i am a bit worried. The lady is also a bit discouraged and she thinks they are unhappy at this moment. Can you guys let me know what could be done so they get used to their new place soon? Thank you
also any advice on a good litter box for a decent price.
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Just like people, cats all behave in their own way...I've had cats that were in hiding for a month before they felt comfortable...give them their space...they will come out and start socializing....it's only been one week, please don't be discouraged.