Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Doggie Wench

Exclamation Use Caution When Cycling With Dogs

Of course that goes without saying but, even then, accidents do happen. And, of course, I have to learn from experience .

We've been taking the dogs cycling almost daily when the weather is nice. We use Springer bike attachments and, rather than clasping it onto their collars, we use body harnesses. Penny's pretty good, just likes to gallop alongside and will pull away if she sees something that interests her, especially the neighbor's chickens and turkeys . But she's easy to control. Lucky, on the other hand, loves to run like mad and I often have to keep my hands on the brakes while he pulls me up the road. He also has high prey drive so I have to be really cautious of what's in our environment and maintain perfect control of the bike just in case he sees something before I do and I don't get a chance to use "leave it."

Sunday evening, dh and I decide to take both dogs for a nice long ride. We only made it about 4 houses away before an unleashed dog charged at us. Penny was terrified and tried to get to the other side of dh's bike. Lucky must have gone straight for the other dog....I say "must have" because I don't remember anything . All I know is that one second I was riding along and the next, I was face down on the pavement, it all happened in a split second. Lucky had pulled the bike right out from under me .

Thank dog I was wearing a helmet, that it wasn't one of the boys, that a car didn't happen to come along at the time, and that Lucky and Penny listened when told to sit while the owner tried to get his dog under control (who wasn't even wearing a collar ). I wanted to scream at him but I was in too much pain, all I managed to mutter was "get your dog." I heard his wife say something about his dog being loose and he responded with something like, "but they're animals." No idea what the hell was going through his head at the time other than trying to shirk away from responsibility.

Anyhow, all this to say, please be careful if you cycle with your dogs using bike attachments, especially if there are off-leash dogs in the area or, if your dog is unreliable when it comes to lunging. And PLEASE, ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!

My head was spared because I was wearing a helmet although my right shoulder, elbow, ribs, and right leg from hip to knee are bruised as is the inner thigh to knee of my right leg. What bothers me most though is that I'm going to be afraid to take Lucky cycling again .

Here's what my left leg looks like .
Attached Images

Old May 10th, 2011, 12:14 PM
-

That looks real mean LP ....it must be hurting like the dickens
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Doggie Wench

Only when I try to walk...feels like there's no muscle. Ribs are much worse though . The dogs are being all velcro when they see me hobbling around .
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

wow....nasty, maybe you should go get checked out to make sure a rib isn't cracked?
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Doggie Wench

I was thinking about it but, what can be done for a cracked rib ? I just had CT scans, x-rays, and an MRI in the past month, I don't want to expose myself to more if not necessary .
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM
-

You can't do anything for a cracked rib LP...they do hurt like the dickens though
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I was thinking about it but, what can be done for a cracked rib ? I just had CT scans, x-rays, and an MRI in the past month, I don't want to expose myself to more if not necessary .
our friend just cracked 3 of his and they wrapped him up, said it still pained him, but took the worse of it away
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Floppy Dog

[QUOTE= What bothers me most though is that I'm going to be afraid to take Lucky cycling again[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you the story of the flying snowmobile. DH and I got snowmobiles 5 years ago so that we could play in the snow together. We decided to take my daughter and a friend of hers on a short trip on a Saturday afternoon. Off we go, Beena with DH and her friend with me, DH and Beena in the lead. Cruising along, a long bend comes up in the trail, I try to turn but the snowmobile is unresponsive and speeding up, I turn sharper, still no response. We fly off the bank, hit a tree hard enough to bend the tunnel (the part of the snowmobile under the chasis where the track is), fly through some more trees and land about 50' down a steep bank with our feet in the river. We're both dazed, Beena's friend is ready to have hysterics and we have to get up to the top of the bank 'cause no one can see us where we are. We both survived, some bumps and bruses and I wound up with 6 stitches in my shin. After that, you would think I'd never climb on a snowmobile again, but you'd be wrong. I still go sledding every winter with the family and we still take guests up with us. I have since been pitched head-first over the handlbars, had a snowmobile roll on me and been pulled off the trail into powder snow.

Don't let one bad experience ruin something you like doing and lets you spend time with the people (furred and otherwise) you love. It won't be easy, but it's well worth the effort.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.