Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Shasta Update and Some Pics

Hey guys, I thought I would update. I would have posted earlier but we drove all night and we were barely awake enough to take Wally for her vet appointment or do anything else.

Shirley mentioned in the other thread us staying at my parents overnight in Cincinnati. I wish! We were only there for a couple of hours visiting and then we had to drive back because Walnut had a vet appointment at 9 a.m.. So we didn't get back until about midnight (Left here at 5 a.m., so it was a long drive!), but at least Shasta and Wally got a little break at my parents house and got to meet their dog and get some dog food and table scraps.
When we were there sitting on the deck my hubby laid down on his back and she kept pawing him to see if he was ok. He sat up and picked her up and put her on her back in his lap and rubbed her belly. She was SO happy to be getting attention! As long as someone is petting her she really doesn't care what you do, she's very calm and sweet.
I think someone in the other thread asked how long it is from Cinci to here. It is about 7 hrs depending on how fast you drive (my husband got up there in 5 hrs once, but I don't let him drive like that with me....we don't need anymore tickets either, lol)

When we got home we put Shasta up in our bed and she looked surprised that she was in a bed but immediately laid down. I guess she wasn't gonna take any chances that we'd change our mind.

When we went to bed she curled up at a the end and laid in that same spot all night until we got up at 7 a.m. to get ready to take Wally to the vet.

She's really gentle with absolutely everything. We have 7 little kittens running around (a lot of you have seen my threads about them, they're all over the house now) and she's very careful not to step on them and very gentle when they come up to her or get under her feet. She doesn't bother my other cats either, though they keep trying to make friends with her and lay with her and she's not sure how to react.

Earlier tonight we took her to one of the parks by my house and let her walk off leash. She was very happy to be outside exploring and she's very well behaved. She doesn't go up to people or their dogs, just walks right past them on the trail. She really seems to enjoy walks. We didn't make her go very far and went slow for her benefit (1/4 mile or so) but she seemed like she could have kept going if we hadn't left. She wasn't ready to leave but we didn't want her to overexert herself (not sure how much she's been exercised lately) and it was getting dark. I have some pics and video of that but they're on my husband's cell phone so I'll have to pull them off to post them later.

Now she's laying next to me on the couch sleeping. I kind of annoyed that the people couldn't keep her since she seems to be absolutely no work at all and is really calm. But oh well, at least she has somewhere to stay permanently now and we're happy to have her.

Oh yeah, she is definitely smaller than expected though. We weighed her at the vet and she was 45 lbs. She could stand to gain 5 lbs if it was purely muscle, but she's not necessarily underweight. Not a very big girl at all.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Molly's mama

YAY!!!! An update!!!! So glad to hear that she is doing well. How are your two dogs reacting to her??
Thanks again for adopting her, she sounds and looks like a total sweetheart!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Oh my, she sounds like such an

And so pretty too!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a pretty angel. Such a face. She sure has had an adventure getting to your house!! Now she can settle in and relax.
Thank you one more time for being her !!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
YAY!!!! An update!!!! So glad to hear that she is doing well. How are your two dogs reacting to her??
Thanks again for adopting her, she sounds and looks like a total sweetheart!
The same way they react to any other dogs. My min-pin (Rosco) pretty much just sniffs her sometimes and otherwise ignores her. Though, when we were at my mother in law's house earlier there was her, Walnut, Rosco and two of her dogs. They all were pretty excited and Rosco tried to hump her which she corrected immediately by growling at him for a second. After that everything was fine.

Walnut just pretty much reacts to other dogs by sniffing them and then interacting however that dog wants to interact. She's not real pushy. If the other dog wants to play she'll play. If the other dog wants to be left alone she'll leave it alone. Shasta is just kind of wanting her space right now so Walnut leaves her alone for the most part. If Shasta ever elicits her to play or anything she will, she gets along with pretty much all dogs.

Neither of my dogs are territorial and don't care if other dogs stay in our house, so there shouldn't be any problems.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

What is the name of your spotty dog? He/She is gorgeous!

Shasta is beautiful, I'm so glad she ended up in such a loving family. She looks extremley happy to be with you all!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
What is the name of your spotty dog? He/She is gorgeous!

Shasta is beautiful, I'm so glad she ended up in such a loving family. She looks extremley happy to be with you all!
The spotty dog is Walnut. We've had her since she was 6 weeks old and she's almost like our child, her personality is just as great as her appearance. My mother in law calls Walnut her Grand-dog lol.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
. My mother in law calls Walnut her Grand-dog lol.
I love it when parents do this. But I know I'm going to be the same when Kiley gets older and has her own pets.

What breed(s) is she?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
I love it when parents do this. But I know I'm going to be the same when Kiley gets older and has her own pets.

What breed(s) is she?
She's a rare (there's only one ) Australian Wallydog, at least that's what we tell everyone. My husband had a couple of people convinced that we had her shipped in from Australia and they're bred to hunt Wallabies. I shoulda said something when he was telling them that but I was in such shock I just sat there trying not to laugh. They had no clue we were messing with them and I didn't have the heart to tell them, so I wonder if they're going around telling people about the rare Australian Wallydog

She's actually a mix of Australian Shepherd, Chow and German Shepherd though.
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:52 AM
banned user

MBIE...oh she looks so content with you! Thank you for giving her such a special home.
Thanks for posting the pictures but you know we will want more!
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Thumbs up

MBIE thank you so much for posting and keeping us up todate.

She looks like she fits in. We could not have found a better home for her.

You and hubby are s

I will look forward to updates.

P.S. this will be the last time, Thank you

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

What a beautiful girl. You and your hubby are so wonderful to go and get her and bring her into your lives.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

She seems to be settling in more already.
She was sitting in our window this morning (we have a huge one at the front of our house that all the animals sit in) looking outside and she was playing with her toys a bit after that. She likes to carry them around and play fetch and she also likes to lick them all over.
We took her and Walnut to the pet store and when we let them outside she was jumping on Walnut trying to play. A few minutes ago when we took everyone to the park she was rolling around in the grass throwing dirt on herself lol. She kinda lays on her side and digs in the ground with her front paws and splashes dirt everywhere. I guess she'll need a bath soon.
I needa take some video and more pics but I keep forgetting the camera. We'll take them back to the park later. We weren't there very long because it was just too hot, so we're gonna wait until it cools off.
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like she's very happy!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/