Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 12th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What does all the regulars do for a living??

Just curious what some of you guys do for a living??/I am in the automotive industry>>>>
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I used to be a floor trader at the Montreal STock Exchange, then worked for Merrill Lynch on contract. Contract ran out.
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure if I count as a regular yet, but I am a computer tech in North Carolina.
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,I am a cook,a gardener,a painter,a cleaner,a chauffeur,a bird-feeder,coon-feeder and a take-care-of-hubby-cats-person,in short I do not work anymore according to some!
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM
no, I am not a chick!

In Tool and Die, main contracts being protection equipment for Bomb disposal, and Land mine fields. Here's a few links of our clients

med eng

eod

biokinetics
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I retired after 30 years from the phone company. Grabbed the buyout, kept my benefits and ran for my life, laughing all the way.

Now a library/media tech at the community college library where I worked as a student in 1965-66. Came full-circle and I love it. I'm responsible for the Reserve Desk.
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I am a cost estimator and field technician for a construction monitoring company at the Mississauga/Oakville boarder - most of my owkr takes me downtown Toronto. We specialize in monitoring deep foundation excavations in the downtown core. Our main objective is to protect the exisiting structures around the hole being dug.

If anyone spends time downtown TO, there is a very impressive job that we have been working on at College and Bay. The hole is 80ft deep and 75ft wide. VERY deep!!!
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM

I guess I am a new regular.

I did mould design for 4 1/2 yrs, but didn't like it. Now I work sales/cust service for a small local electrical company.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for replys,i was just curious to get some of idea who i chit chat with here...
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:05 AM

I have worked at a University library for 25 years. I am responsible for the electronic journals. I also own a home business selling Golden Retriever and Lab merchandise to the lovers of these breeds.

Heather
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I work at Prudential Insurance (I am a Marketing Assistant.) We deal with auto, home, health, insurance, annuities, IRA, and stocks and bonds.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

How do you guys get to spend so much time with your pet??? I know if i ever get a pet again i cant get puppy cause i work 8:00 to 5:00...
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I work in the film industry I am an assistant production coordinator. I work in Toronto. 8-5 that is not bad we work minimum 12 hour days. So when I am working I have Buddy go for 1/2 a day to doggy daycare or if we are shooting nights I go home and bring him to the office once most people have left or there are only dog lovers left.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I work 9:00 to 4:30, but on my lunch break (1 hour) I go home and play with CryBaby. Cats are alot easier to leave than a dog is. And, than Justin is home all morning with Cry (he goes to work at 3:00 p.m.) so than I am home by 4:45 so he is not alone that often anyway. We are thinking about getting another cat so he will have a friend but we will see. Justin would like to get a GSD but I do not know. I mean he would not be alone becuase one of us is always there but I am not sure if I want that big of a job. And although we are not pregnant anymore you never know and a puppy and a baby would be alot of work on me (more than that when we do have a baby it will be our first baby and I will prolly be ready to pull my hair out with it hehehehe ) because I hear puppies and babies are FULL TIME jobs. So we will see!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my god they are,i cant believe how much time and effort it took to train him,i mean he caught on qiuck,but once he had to be on predisone,no way i would take him out to pee by the time i sat down he was peeing on floor,the pred makes them pee aloooottttttttt......I didnt have to work when i first got him thank god,but he was a gsd and let me tell you he is smarter than most people i know,great dog,i will someday get one again,i could not imagine a puppy and a baby unless i had a huge bottle of xanax or valium.....But gsd learn quick,he was potty trained by 2 to 3 months old....He had a few accidents but that was it..
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM

I'm a lawyer in a downtown firm in Vancouver.

Re spending time with my pets, I have reduced sleeping time - LOL!! Truthfully, most things I do with people involve Oliver, my dog, and, if they don't, I make sure he is taken care of first. I also pay a dog walker to come and get him for ~3 hours a day (group walk that he LOVES). If I have to work on weekends, I either take it home (although Oliver ate my laptop and my new one is on its way but that is another story... ) or I bring him to the office with me. Nadia, my cat, is pretty self sufficient and actually seems to enjoy playing with Oliver now (much to her disgust..... )

Michelle
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:43 PM

Talking Woody's occupation title

I'm not a constant regular but I do bop in and out. Occupation wise I am an Architectural Engineer who reviews multi-story building designs before they are built and also does forensics on buildings that fail structurally either by forces of nature or man. Sounds bookish and dull and it can be but it is a living...LOL and at 64 I am not about to start a new career...
Woody
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
banned user

Forensic psychology student/intern

I live out in the boonies and although we have a fenced front and back yard, the dogs could run as faaaaaar as they wanted and not have to worry about traffic or neighbors. Both stay very close to the house, though, and don't seem interested in roaming about. My Dane goes with me most everywhere that I do, as she's spoiled and has charmed her way into otherwise DOGFORBIDDEN zones. She is even allowed to sit with me on the outdoor patio at my favorite restaurant, and the waitress brings her little treats while I eat. My spitz just waits in her house (the entire underside of my front porch was converted to an insulated dog-house for her, complete with bed) until I come home. I have a house (and bed) for my Dane, too, but she very seldom uses it since she's with me most of the time. The spitz is NOT INTERESTED in riding in the Jeep with me UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

God i was so excited when i got my apt,now i want a house or duplex so i can get a dog again,have a year to go on my lease though.I read all these posts you guys are so lucky to have huge backyards,i am jealous
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
God i was so excited when i got my apt,now i want a house or duplex so i can get a dog again,have a year to go on my lease though.I read all these posts you guys are so lucky to have huge backyards,i am jealous
Just because people have backyards doesn't mean they should have pets Heidi!! Your schedule and inability to provide the training that Damien needs is the reason that he had to go with the other dogs. Having a backyard will not fix these problems. I have an apartment and a prefectly content dog. She goes for walks and plays with other dogs and gets plenty of exercise, having a backyard doesn't mean that your pet will have a better life IMO - and before you freak - I'm not saying that Damien had a bad life that was a general comment and not directed to you.
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok,so what are you saying,you have no idea everything about damien,for all the bad i wrote here,you dont know the good,i spent 24/7 with him teaching him alot....And yes if i had a backyard,i feel i could provide a dog with a GREAT home.So what to you makes a person have the right to own a pet??????????????????/What makes you a great pet owner??????No sarcasm intended
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

As you will see in the PM that I wrote you: the answer (so that everyone knows now...) I said was that just because you have a backyard does not make you a good pet owner...meaning simply that just because you have an apartment does not mean that you can not provide exercise and comfort for your pet! I was merly trying to suggest to you that you did what you could for Damien by giving him a place to run and play with other dogs and the training that he need by surrendering him to the resuce. I did not intend to say that you are a crappy pet owner because of this. I am not perfect. I will be the first to admit it - and if I was trying to pretend I was I wouldn't have shared past stories about my faults. Frig, everyone screws up sometime, weither you mean to or not. My Briggs just ate a container of liquid paper!! The cat knocked it off the fridge and Briggs ate it (The vet has been called and he is on alert 24/7 incase she does react to the liquid paper!!!) But if I was perfect I would not have shared that OR Briggs wouldn't have gotten the liquid paper!!! Just relax.
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Heidho....sammic I don't think was trying to be rude. He is pretty laid back and respectful....from what I have seen. I think he was just trying to make you think about your schedule more so, not meaning you are a bad pet owner. You said you were busy (and I know what you mean COMPLETELY) but that you would want one if you had a yard. If you are home in the evenings, then I don't see why that would be a problem....if the dog could be out for the day, but as you know too, puppies do take a lot of work. I was home with Dixie while I was pregnant and on maternity leave throughout her puppyhood. And Princess04, puppies and babies are a lot of work! Throw a (then) 3 year old in the mix and that spells EXHAUSTION! But we all get along, no more puppy stage too much and the 4 year old loves to play with the dog. As my 4 month old laughs watching them. Dogs are good for kids, and visa versa, (if you teach them). It IS possible, but at times difficult You are right for thinking it through thoroughly.

Heidho, I think you have a real place in your heart for animals. Don't get too worried about what everyone says, listen, take note, consider, and if we or they are way off on something, toss it out the window, for only YOU TRULY know your situation. Most people here are just trying to help with good intentions.

(As for me...day job, Admin Asst at an Engineering Firm, Mommy of a 4 year old and a 4 month almost 5 month old....Mommy to a Lab mix and a German Shorthair pointer.)
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I didnt mean by having a backyard that will make me a great pet owner,i am just saying i wish i did have a backyard so i could get another dog,i did feel bad damien didnt have a backyard of his own,and i wouldnt get another big dog til i can provide that,i believe that is the one thing i do need before i got another large dog..If i got another large dog...
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbeachy
Heidho....sammic I don't think was trying to be rude. He is pretty laid back and respectful....from what I have seen.
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!! Just so you know HE is a SHE!! LOL
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Woops Sorry!! ha ha....how we are quick to succum to conclusions! Even just by a name! (did I just prove one of my own points there?!?!)

Heidho....I understand...IF you get a back yard...you will be one step closer, one less thing to have to worry about doing, and an inch closer to getting that dog!

You can tell you want one, so as a barrier is knocked down (such as getting a house with a yard) it puts you closer to that goal.

Understood!
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks,and i know what you are saying about puppy,i got damien at 7 weeks,and it was ALOT of nonstop peeing on carpet,cleaning,taking outside,training,then on predisone,that was a nightmare of constant peeing,i work now so a puppy would not work for me,as much as i would love one right now,i am not huge on the bar scene,so besides work,i am home,so the only thing missing is a backyard,which i know alot of people dont have and there is nothing wrong with that,i just want a backyard,so he could go run.The rescue lady said if she ever comes across a dog that would fit my life now she will let me know,but until then i will wait,i bought a fish and frog,that will do for now.
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Holy! Here we go again! This thread is about "what do regulars here do..." Not bringing up heated issues AGAIN.

Heidi, give it a rest and quit trying to explain yourself. Some here do understand you, some don't and never will...

Heather
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Hijacked thread?
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
Hijacked thread?

Exactly!!
Appears to be a regular occurance here.