Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Pit Bull service dog kicked out of Walmart!

Anyone else seen this? I was amazed. The stores that "pride" themselves in being equal opportunity for employment and all that jazz, turns away a service dog's business.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php...6090.msg195796

"On the evening of February 8th, I was shopping at the Huntington Beach Walmart with my Service Dog (Chloe) and daughter for approx 1/2 hour. Chloe was extremely well behaved. The Customer Service Manager approached us and asked us to leave because “there are children in the store and we can't have a vicious breed in here.” I was stunned and went over Chloe's training, that she was an Ambassador for her breed, and emphasized what she was asking me to do was illegal according to 1990 American Disability Act 1990. The Walmart Customer Service Manager said that she represented the Store Manager's position as well, and she still did not feel comfortable with the dog in the store and asked us to leave. I again emphasized what she was asking was illegal and to carefully consider what she was asking me. She again asked if we could go, and then when I pressed her for it in writing, she said to finish my shopping quickly and not to linger. I told her I wanted to talk to the Store Manager and followed her upfront. After checking out, I asked her when he was coming - she said he look for us and is now busy. She confirmed it was his decision also and they just got off the phone. I said I would wait and to call him again, she said it would be a while and to go because “it won't matter.”

I left and called our OC HUGS Service Dog president. and then called the Store Manager with her conferenced in. I first confirmed his position that he wanted us to go because of our Service Dog's breed and he said and elaborated his prejudice opinions, stating they were an 'unstable and vicious' breed and banned from different cities. He said he was aware of the Service Dogs and their rights, but he had never seen a Pitbull Service Dog in his 20 years. He also emphasized that it was our responsibility to educate the public and we shared that is what are trying to do starting with him. He was closed minded in his opinions, rude and insensitive, and finally apologized when pressed for one. The incident is still on record and should have never happened.

We went back to the store two days later as we informed them that we would and approx 6 to 8 employees approached us stating that there was a big meeting and they couldn't believe it was blown out of portion. One employee even asked "did you break her of her craziness?" and then went on to say how he heard how the breed had a 'crazy' gene that made them go crazy and hurt people --- UGH!!! I was as polite as possible and informed him about the temperment test and the difference between human aggression and dog aggression, along with socialization and training, etc..."
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG!!!!! i cant believe some people!
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM

I cant believe they continued shopping, I would have spoken to the manager, but boycotted the store, and told others to do so. Did the manager not know that services dogs are some of the best trained and most trustworthy dogs??

A story like that really ticks me off
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM

What a terrible story. I hope there will be some legal action taken against Walmart.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

My opinion only here is that WalMart is not a good store at the best of times. Politics aside this only reinforces my feelings. Disgusting. If I hadn't already been boycotting WalMart I certainly would now.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
-

I've been boycotting Walmart for many years now,for many reason, will add this one too.
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
-

I just remembered , I did go back to Walmart last year to buy my dg cam. But it was the only place I could afford one. But I swear, I'll never go back again.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM

rant about Walmart: I really don't like Walmart and never go there anymore. Part of it is just because i can never find anything in there. Do they set it up like that on purpose so that you can't find what you are looking for and have to wander all over the store, leading to more impluse buying?! Who has time for that? The last few times I went in there, a few years ago, I would go in look around, get frustrated and annoyed and then leave w/o buying anything. Waste!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM

some peoples kids....I had tried to get Odie into therapy work...he passed every test with flying colors...just before the bn...I was already going to a couple nursing homes with him once a week and all the people there loved him...and he loved the attention...but as soon as the breed ban came in...that door shut for us
Staffies-the king of breeds-a work horse-a cuddly licking machine-found in the top ten breeds for kids by the southhampton U-so comitted to their people they are willing to do anything to please them...the only breed for me
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM

Thats awful. I should send this to my friend, an apparent dog lover, that still buys her dog food from wal-mart. My favorite thing to do to people who looked scared and asking if my pup is a pit-bull is to say "No, she's a staffordshire cross", which in reality she is. Its funny how people will then socialize with her.

A bit OT: There is a good Canadian made documentary called wal- town. If anyone wants to add to the list of things they don't like about wal-mart.