Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old January 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM

dogs alone together

I am amazed of the can of worms I opened. I must admit I had a negative feeling of pitbulls before one came to live with us. I have changed my attitude and slowly changing my neighbors attitudes. All 3 of my dogs are male and neutered. I see the change in my older lab he is 7 and thinks he is the leader of the pack. I have to work with him and remind him he is not. The pit takes it in stride, however when he gets older he may not. I guess I will hope that day does not happen. I watch the dog whisperer ceaser millan and try to follow his tech. he has many pits he has managed to correct and they live together with other strong breeds at his place in LA. I am just going to keep doing what I am, as for know I see no problems. Hopefully it will stay that way my dogs do not like to be seperated for now they seem to be a stable pack. thanks for all your input!
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Just use caution, and that dog whisperer guy..... well thats a whole other topic... he's good theres no doubt about that, but it is a TV show, and alot of stuff has to be edited, he makes everything look so easy, but it may not always be.
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM

lol the dog whisperer is another can of worms here.

Good luck with your doggies.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:38 PM

next question would be

guess I forgot to ask if any pit owners out there have a first hand experience with their dog attacking other dogs at home?? would like to here about if you do.
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I would suggest you try posting on a pit bull specific forum (just google 'pit bull forum') as you'll find a lot more breed specific info from a huge spectrum of people in the breed.
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM

This is not an opinion, it is a fact. My girlfriend had a pit and an English mastiff. They were puppies together and were raised together their whole lives. They were both neutered. Shortly after they turned 2, she left them in the house one day while she went shopping. When she got home, the pit was dead, the mastiff was near death and had to be put down and her home was totally trashed from the fight. These 2 dogs were so mellow and happy up to that point and there was no indication at all that they might turn agressive with each other. Please don't leave your dogs together at home, if you must leave them, at least put them in separate places.
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Honestly IMO i think any breed of dog left alone with each other there is a possibility of a "serious' fight happening. All it takes is one wrong look from one of them and all heck can break loose. And before anyone says anything, I have lived the experience. Two dogs (mixed ) living together since they were pups....one day for no reason they fought. I came home to a bloody mess.....both dogs lived but had to given up because they could not live together. It may NEVER happen but it May happen.......the possibility is there.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM

For as long as I can remember we have always had 2 or more dogs . 2 sheppards and 2 poodles at the same time, then when one passed we replaced Her with a Doberman. At one time we were down to the 2 poodles then another Dobe was brought in. Then we added a female Pitbull. The 2 poodles passed {no it wasn't the Pit} We then got another pitbull and when the Dobe passed we got a Sharpai .
One thing I have learned form owning all of these dogs is this anyone of them can instigate a confrontation and yes people the poodles were the best at doing that . Because they were so small we had to separate them from the bigger dogs .Not due to any problems other than one dog trying to be "alpha" at one time or another we began to separate the dogs when we were not at home many years ago.
There has been fights with a little blood the odd time but luckily nothing more than that and all dogs at one time or another have gotten into it.Poodles,Sheppards, Dobes and Pits I really don't think it is "beyond" any breed to get into it once and a while and if they do I want to be there.
Now we have large cages for each dog and while we are not with them they are crated .I must make it clear that when we are home they socialize but as much experience as we have owning dogs I just can't seem to figure out when one of them just doesn't want to be bothered with the other for whatever reason and again I stress this does not apply only to pits.

Last edited by seeker; February 1st, 2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Great Post Seeker! You said all that needs to be said on the topic IMO!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:55 AM

I have two Staffies and I don't leave them loose together in the house when were not home...they get along with each other just fine, they never fight...they fought once, when I forst got Maggie and that was it...but I would never leave them home alone together, just in case they fight...I won't be there to stop it and I couldn't bear coming home to find a dead or dying dog...
Staffies-the king of breeds-a work horse-a cuddly licking machine-found in the top ten breeds for kids by the southhampton U-so comitted to their people they are willing to do anything to please them...the only breed for me