Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old November 5th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Normal????

Ok, for any of you who have been pregnant before. Have any of you craved peanut butter? I mean lately, I have been craving it so much I just eat it straight from the jar! And I normally don't like it that much!! I just wanted to know if it is normal to crave something you normally don't care for?
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:17 PM
banned user

Oh Yea!

Lilith its perfectly normal! its also normal to go off foods you normally love to eat..and detest certain smells of that food..Like for me it was bacon and coffee,during my last pregnancy(5th of 5) I HATED the smell of bacon and coffee,,it made me gag,and yet before I got pregnant I liked both!

But I would send out hubby for ice cream sandwiches...some experts say these cravings are the result of your body knowing what it needs for extra nutrients and so we crave the foods in order to get the extra nutrients

1st son-Licorce
2nd Son-Salads and milk( I would drink two liters a day)
3rd Son-Cheese
1st Daughter-Chocolate Covered cherries(a box at a time)Cant stand em now
2nd Daughter-Ice Cream Sandwiches

Others say its a "pica" which means a habit of eating strange things we wouldnt normally eat..like dirt...or in your case,peanut butter

I wouldnt try not to give into your craving,I think that just makes it worst,and peanut butter is so full of protein,if you crave it,try eating natural peanut butter,,it doesnt have the sugar regular stuff does..

As long as your weight gain is good and you arent craving something that may harm you or baby..go for it and enjoy!
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I have gained aprox. 20 pounds. The books say you should gain aprox 30-40 pounds. I talked to my mom, and she said that the most she ever gained (6 pregnancies) was 20 pounds, and that it was the same way with her mother, so I shouldn't worry, about gaining more weight, as long as I am eating well.

I am glad to hear that it is normal. We buy the brand of peanut butter that has the most vitamins and minerals, different brand, depending on what store it is from.

I tend to drink alot of milk too. A gallon only lasts a few days, and I am the only one who drinks it. James will have some with cereal every now and then.
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Ooohhhhh, yeah! It's perfectly normal. I heard (not sure from whom, so please don't take this as gospel truth) that cravings are our bodies' way of telling us that we need more of a certain nutrient. Of course, that could be just another excuse to eat whatever we want while we're pregnant (like that Italian wive's tale in the other post ).

Your doctor should be telling you if you're gaining too much weight. Because I am already a "larger" girl, my doctor warned me not to gain more than 15lbs (which, thankfully, I didn't do). If you're a healthy, relatively fit person pre-pregnancy, then your weight gain really shouldn't be a problem.
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

When I was pregnant with my daughter I craved onion dip & vanilla ice cream. (Yes, together!) And hamburgers.

With my son I had mad cravings for bean burritos and wintergreen, anything wintergreen. And Pine-Sol was all I used for cleaning. Couldn't get enough of it! *hates it now*

Also when I was pregnant with my son, I could not stand smoke of any kind. (I was a smoker too) Even the smell of a BB-Q would send me hurling.

Now that I am older I think back...I believe the Pine-Sol was a follow-up to the bean burrito's. Makes sense now..only took me 27 years to figure this one out. I can be slow on certain issues.
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM

cravings

i had a chocolate craving with my eldest but that was it as for weight i put on 26lbs in weight with my 3rd and he was born 8lb 1 oz but im a small person. My friend put on nearly 2 stone some times you put more weight on later and some people dont ever put weight on.

Last edited by jackieb; November 5th, 2004 at 02:27 PM. Reason: wrong wording
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:29 PM

My daughter was 9 lbs, 1 oz.

My son was 9 lbs, 6 oz.

I remember every watermelon this small body passed.

At the time my average body weight was only 110 #. And I am 5'8".

I am spayed, rabies current and adoptable!
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:31 PM

wow

5ft 8 and 110 lbs i though i was slight
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I started showing really early too. James and I first thought we were having twins because at 3 months, I looked pretty big, but we had an ultrasound about 2 weeks later, and found out it was just one baby girl.
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I am 5 foot 2 and My weight fluctuates anywhere between 115 and 130. But I am happy with my weight. I weighed only about 90 pounds when I was 14. And I didn't like it. I thought I was too skinny!
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I was HUGE with my daughter! At 7 months I gave up all hope of ever seeing my feet! Started at 110 lbs...90 lbs later I delivered. I also had toxemia and was put on bed rest for the last 2 & 1/2 months. ( Those hamburgers & salt did me in)

I was warned about another pregnancy...I gained 60 with my son and again it was touch & go... I did fair better but had to be induced prior to the delivery date..he was just too big to carry further. He was a chow hound and still is...He's married now and is 6' 7". *Happy some one else has the feed bill* Just kidding......although the boy can eat!
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't gained tons of weight, but with the way Judith always postitions herself, sometimes I can't see my feet. She will probably be about 7 pounds, I an guessing. She already seems like she is going to be a bigger baby, but that is just my thoughts, I won't know until I have her. And James is really excited, even though he was hoping for a son. She's going to be spoiled by him, I can already tell, just the way he is with our friends' babies and 1 year old. He loves them to death, and he has only known the 2 families since March.
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
I haven't gained tons of weight, but with the way Judith always postitions herself, sometimes I can't see my feet. She will probably be about 7 pounds, I an guessing. She already seems like she is going to be a bigger baby, but that is just my thoughts, I won't know until I have her. And James is really excited, even though he was hoping for a son. She's going to be spoiled by him, I can already tell, just the way he is with our friends' babies and 1 year old. He loves them to death, and he has only known the 2 families since March.
Daddy's little girl!

Just watch what you eat and do not get as careless as I was...

James will be a mess when she arrives..he'll probably lay out dating restrictions for her while you are still awaiting your maternity room to be ready.

Enjoy every second!
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
he'll probably lay out dating restrictions for her while you are still awaiting your maternity room to be ready.
LMAO!! I am soooo glad I had two boys!! My brother refuses to let his daughter date until she turns 35 or he dies, whichever comes first.
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

He once said that the first guy that tries to mess around with her is going to have his "stuff" cut off! And that she is not allowed to date until she is 30!

He also said that he is going to have her be in martial arts, so she will know how to protect heself, now that is one I can agree with. The other two, are a little too protective! But it's our first child, so it is to be expected, especially when it is a girl!
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I say, as long as the dates are parent supervised dates, I will let Judith start dating in 7th grade. Group dates, at 8th grade, and then at 16, she can go on dates alone, but will have to be home by 10. And at 18, she is on her own, as far as dating goes. She will be an adult then, so I can't force her do do anything.
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I bought this t-shirt for Judith. I have to take a picture and show it. I will do that in a bit.
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Here it is. It is a size 2T, but I figured, I would never see that shirt again. It was the last one there, so I HAD to get it.
Attached Images

Old November 5th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Strange cravings are very normal. Mine was celery salt,and tomato juise, the 2 things I could not stand to have around, and I was not a person to drink either. My doc told me as well cravings are usually from things your body is lacking. But she had no answer for the sympathy cravings my husband had, Salt and vinigar chips with soft icecream for dip. I gained alot of weight with my 1st and only son over 90 lbs. And the thing was I was not a binge eater, and worked up to the day I delivered. I actually had to call in to work in labour. The doc said every person is diffrent and they will gain more or less than what the books say, the books are guide lines and average. If baby is healthy and mom is as well just enjoy it.
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh lilith....your having a GIRL!.....how sweet ( I must have missed the post that said so sry)

That is so cool, my daughter is also having a girl for her first born.....her fiance is also laying down the dating rules and the poor girl has yet to see daylight....lmao

Love that t-shirt as well you did good by buying it early they always grow into things faster than you think.

How far along are you now? My daughter is just past the 5 month mark
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I am 33 weeks. Due date is Christmas day!!!! I guess James and I timed it perfectly! LOL
Old November 6th, 2004, 11:51 AM
who made this big mess?

congratulations! how exciting. christmas day too, wow!

when i was preggers i went from being a vegetarian to eating steaks... and i would crave smoked turkey sandwiches so badly that i had to eat one every day. hubby (now ex) came home from work one day to find me standing at the table and devouring a bbq chicken from the grocery store--still in the bag!! i didn't even take time to get a plate and cutlery. i put on 50 lbs but lost it all within 3 mos of my awesome lil gal being born.

big hugs to you and your little bee in yer belly!

Nature is a damp place over which large numbers of ducks fly, uncooked.
- Oscar Wilde -
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats Lilith,I sooo wished I would have had a girl,but instead was"blessed"with 3 boys.
After my last son I weighed 118lbs and I am 5'7...I only gained the weight of my baby and he was 7lbs.The doc said it was because I had a dry birth,no watergain,but that I was made to have babies
I had a terrible craving for oranges and would eat a dozen each day,the baby almost overdosed on Vitamine C
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Cravings

Hi and Congrats on the little one! I have both boys and girls and craved different things with each pregnancy. First son I craved tomatoes and strawberries but hated the smell of bacon.
Second son peanut butter by the jar!!!
First daughter cottage cheese and liver and mandarin oranges
Second daughter watermelon I would eat one large one a day!
I craved milk with all of them and I am not a milk drinker. I loved apple juice with my last daughter as well.
Funniest thing is that each kid loves the things I craved while pregnant with them. Second son is hypoglycemic, eats his weight in sugar a day I am sure just so he doesn`t shake.
Keep an eye on your little one to see if later in life she craves what you craved while you were pregnant. My friends and I have noticed that all of our kids love the foods we craved while pregnant.

As for the weight gain, as long as your doc is okay with it you should be fine... one trick to losing the weight faster after she is born BREASTFEEDING I lost all the weight I gained with my kids within 3 weeks of delivering them, however after I stopped nursing them I gained some back, about 5 lbs per kid and have yet to be able to shake it. I guess that means I will have a "baby belly" for life. (Unless I get onto Extreme Makeover ha ha ha )
Anyways, good luck and I hope all goes well.( my daughters were both preemies first one was 5 weeks early second was 8 weeks )
Old November 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

my mother used to know a maori woman who craved axel grease of her car, i tell you no lie here, this is whole truth. mum said one day she found her under the car sniffing it as she was trying not to eat it so would sniff instead.

now my sister (single mum) ,when she was preggers she was just an eating machine, i was literally starving as she was eating all the food we had in the house, a whole apple pie in secounds, youve never seen anything like it. she put on about 60-70 pound with that one, and he was a maori boy so came out 9 pound, so there was a reason for her eating, he was starving her he was soooo big. i cooked non stop troughout that whole pregnancy, i felt like i was running a restaurant, 3am if she wanted a BLT i was out there, 4am i would have to walk to the shop for a ice drink slushy thing (no car), oh it tired me out, being a surrogate father is a really hard job, boy i will never forgeti t, or her temper, but she was on her own and was quite emotional so i jsut copped that. man that was a trial, the secound one was not so bad as the first one was 8yo and quite helpful to his mum, what a little love.

and that big maori boy, now 10yr old is wearing a mens size 6 shoes and is as tall as his aunty mel, and i can wear his cloths too, he has some funky little tshirts and jumpers, he always lends them to me nad when he grow out of them aunty gets them, great so the cycle of wearing hand me downs has followed me through life but he does not wear anuties cloths
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I wasn't supposed to be able to have children. Imagine my surprise when I spent the summer of 2002 "not feeling quite right", but still playing heavily competitive softball, working as a firefighter (exposed to "interesting" chemicals/smoke), and smoking/drinking as my usual habits. My husband insisted I go to the doctor because I was always tired. Imagine my shock to discover I was 15 weeks along. So the doc says, hey, it's your pregnancy, enjoy it. So I did. I ate everything I wanted to, gaining about 60-70 lbs. Had a very easy pregnancy, c section delivery, and have a beautiful baby boy.

I craved steamed green beans like you wouldn't believe. I also craved Ruffles plain chips and dill pickle dip. It was GREAT. Took a while to lose the weight, but I truly enjoyed pregnancy. Oh, I also detested the smell of cooking pork. I couldn't have it near me.
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Oh, yeah, baby! Dill pickle chips were a staple when I was pregnant with my second!
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Hehehe. Yup, I knew it was getting bad when I told hubby that I had to go out to Walmart, and he said, "are you stopping for a snack?".
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad to hear that craving something you wouldn't normally eat is normal. I used to love golden puffs, but now I can't stand eating them!!! I also crave many things if someone mentioned it.
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:49 PM

Wow, your bringing back memories from 27 years ago! I think I lived on peanut butter with hard boiled egg or cucumber sandwiches. Yup together in one big fat sandwich. Mmmm how I miss them!
Congratulations and good luck!