Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 30th, 2004, 07:35 AM
banned user

Hannah's training and What I have been doing

Hannah's training is ongoing..all day all the time.She will start school,but here are some things I hae been doing with her since she we got her

Sit-Down-She does these very well,using verbal and hand commands-We are now working on sit/stay

Come-On leash outside,off leash inside,and she is doing well.

Settle-I use this to calm her..either two ways,one with her in a sit,and my arm around her chest,I tell her to settle in a quiet but firm voice and praise like crazy OR I gently roll her on her back,hold her firm but gentle around the middle and tell her to settle and praise praise.Each of these are done when shes already calm so as not to scare her

When she is chewing something she shouldnt be,I say "UH OH in a firm voice,command her to "give" and give her an appropriate chew toy and praise like crazy when she chews her own toys

Walking on lead,I do this around the property ALOT..when she tugs on the lead I keep the lead taut and stop walking,when she has turned around to look at me,I continue to walk again and praise her for following me.

Off command-when she jumps up to get at something at the table,I gently push her off,say OFF as iam doing it and throw a treat on the floor..and praise her for OFF

My kids have been taught that when she tries to jump up their legs,they are to immediatly STOP,with arms crossed and watch the sky...until Hannah settles down.

SO far and I can say this will all honestly,she hasnt tried to bite or nip us or go after our ankles..she hasnt really chewed anything in the house but her toys...

I have also being doing the "I eat first" thing..where I fill her food bowl,put some crackers behind it and eat my crackers FIRST..she thinks iam eating her food..then when Iam done,I command her to SIT and give her the food bowl

Any more training tips?
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:41 PM
banned user

Sounds like you two are doing well but remember Hannah is a baby and can only learn so much at this age. I mentioned to you the Golden Retriever For Dummies, you have the book, go though it again. Really great tips in there for training, I have read that book many times and follow it as the author knows her retriever's and it is very helpful.
Have fun and good luck
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Animal Lover!!

That's a great book, we have the "Labs for Dummies Version" it was so helpful!!!

Sounds like Hannah is doing good with the training...but you might want to slow it down a tiny bit, as if you go too fast she will get confused. Puppy school will help you with all of that. I LOVE puppy school, it is a life saver, and I must admit Solara is the best in the class of course I have to say that....LOL She is my baby.
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM
banned user

SLowing down

My trainer has already told me to continue training hannah,but work at her own pace,which is what I do..I dont train her every day,and the trainer said that if she is smart she will pick up the commands very quickly,and that if she doesnt balk at learning,then she isnt too young or it isnt too much for her.
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Animal Lover!!

Mysts,

Well that's great, if that's what your trainer's telling you, then I say go for it. They are a sponge at this age!
Talon 7yrs - Male
Old November 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

With Daisy, we tried to go with letting her tell us when she was finished with training. She'd start losing interest, then we'd stop for the day. The other problem we had, was trying to "train" my wife to do one thing at a time. Instead of telling Daisy to sit, give her her reward, then doing the next thing, like "whisper", she'd make her sit, then tell her "whisper". Of course, I have to be honest, when she knew we wanted her to do something for a treat, she'd go through every trick she knew for a while, that was kind of comical.
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Any learning is stressful and your body has to produce chemicals to deal with the stress - so we all have our limits. BUT - a puppy is a sponge - they are learning all of the time. Puppies are built to be learning something every moment - granted some lessons are tougher than others. Learning that chewing rocks hurts and chewing wood feels good - something has been learned. Better to teach good manners and skills then to have to re-teach over bad habits. The more you engage her brain the greater it's capacity will become.
My point is don't avoid teaching. Teach every day - just make it fun and through good communication it's all easy to learn. Our pups know everything they need to in the first week or two, and that can be a vocabulary of 30 words. It doesn't mean they are perfect and don't challenge, but they are well on their way to being great dogs. Associate everything she does to a word or hand signal. Associate every toy she has to a name. Eat & drink are very important words. Name all of the rooms in the house & her bed, name the different areas of the car i.e. back vs shotgun. In our first 2-hour lesson a young puppy can learn up to 15 things in the last hour alone - it's natural for them.
You really aren't teaching her anything new - she knows how to sit in one place, run towards you, roll over, put her paw up. etc., what you are doing is learning how to communicate effectively with her through associations and get her to do it out of relationship with you.
Don't drill it into her so she hates it - make it part of everyday life and make it fun.
People often ask how long should I train my dog. We say..."your puppy can play for hours with another dog if she's having fun, so be a fun teacher and she can learn all day long."
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:21 PM
banned user

Training Baby

We trained today,,,she is now sitting,down,come,and we are working very well on Sit/stay and down/stay

She likes to do the exercises,we keep it short and always have a play time afterwards

I notice her attention span is getting longer,so the sit/stays are getting longer as well..I can now completely tell her to "sit/stay" and walk around her body and come back to her side....shes a smart girl and picking things up very quickly...now if only she wouldnt pee on the floor LOL

She is sitting for leash on/leash off and when I give her the food bowl..I praise her alot whenever I see her doing something,like laying down at my feet,or sitting etc...even if I havent asked her to do it
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work!
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Cano gets sit/ stay, but is still having problems with down/ stay. But with the new treats we are using, he seems to be doing a bit better. We used to use milk-bone biscuits, now we are using beggin wraps. He loves them even though he only gets a tiny piece of one. He loves them so much that he will do almost anything for just a tiny piece.

Glad to see that everything is going great for Hannah.
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:48 AM
banned user

Lilith

Lilith

you can also try honey nut cheerios..they are perfect size dog training treats
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Animal Lover!!

Cheerio's

Yes! Cheerios are great! I didn't even know Solara liked them until I accidently dropped some on the floor. Then again, she likes anything, even limes.
We use alot of pieces of carrots for trining, and cheese sometimes
Talon 7yrs - Male
Old November 6th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den loved the tiny pieces of cat kibble. Something he couldn't reach normally, small and crunchie. AND, big bonus, something I could carry easily in my pocket!
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Rollover. Phoebe will jump through flaming hoops for Rollover (not that I've actually tried the flaming hoop thing).

Cheerios are a fave too - but she only gets them when the baby has had enough of his breakfast and starts chucking them over the side of his highchair.
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

All moms with toddlers should have a dog! Instant vacumn cleaner!