Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
Huskys are outdoor sledding dogs and this is what they enjoy.
No one is denying that. I used to have a Husky, I know all about it! BUT there is a danger is tying dogs in general. Period. I can show you some gruesome images of what can happen to a dog that is tied. That's why I posted that information, not to cause a fight, but to share with people the possibilities of what could happen when tying your dog out. That's all. We're here to share information and help better the life of each others pets, right?? That's why I shared the information that I found.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
banned user

This is what really gets me going.
Driving down a country road and seeing a house with a large yard, sometimes house way off road loads of room. There you see a dog house and a dog in the very back yard or beside some old barn tied up and walking in mud no shade, no one near by. My God what a life for this " pet" why have a dog and leave him in a dog house or kennel. I would love to put the owners of the dog there for one month let them see how it makes you feel. There is no stupid dog! there are many stupid owners that don't "bother "to take the time to teach the dog, you live in the country, large yard...... teach you dog to stay in the yard. Why feel the need to tie this animal to a dog house or tree.

Next thing the gets me is.....In my town there is No Frills which sells no name items I'm sure we all know what type of thing I'm talking about. ( some items are fine but not in this case)

Ok
People that buy their food and have junk food falling out of the cart cause it is so full of this type of food, kids hanging on the cart so you know this parent is feeding the kids junk food, lots of it!
On the bottom of cart is a large bag of no name dog food, you know 40lbs for $8.97 I think oh my God that poor dog what a meal he is going to have while the owners spend money on junk food for their kids. I think the poor dog will get nothing else to eat but this junk they sale as dogfood. I feel like walking up to the person and asking why buy that dogfood, do you realize what you are feeding your dog or do they really even care?
Sorry but that really gets me, I went yesterday to Pet Valu for my boys food. $47.10 for the bag, that is fine. A lady walks up with Alpo dry and starting freaking about the price of dog food, again I almost said something but I thought no it is not my place to say anything so I walked out with my $
47.10 bag of dog food and thought again poor dog.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I am with you on good dog food..I will eat beefaroni and top ramen so my dog can have solid gold 50.00 dog food....
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
banned user

I did it with Cujo

I use to tie Cujo out on very long line 150 feet..but he wasnt on it for very long,he hated it,and like most Goldens,wanted to be close to his family,so he wasnt left out long

I do intend to tie hannah out now and again,she has a metal tie out in the middle of the backyard(2 acres) with a 100 foot line,and when I got out to play with her I tie her to the line,its just easier than trying to play and carry her leash at the same time

I dont think theres anything wrong with tying a dog out,as long as its not left there for hours on end with no water or attention or toys etc..but dogs DO like to be outside
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:39 PM
banned user

When I talk about tieing my dog outside on a nice day I know he is safe bacause.... I am in theyard too! I am doing flowers or reading a book 10 feet from him. I've never have nor would I tie a dog and go inside, anything could happen. What if something ( a dog ) came after your dog, he can't get away cause he is tied and no one there to help.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Sargent was a rescue dog. My fiance rescued him from a relative who neglected him and treated him badly. He worked very hard to train him to be what he is today. Sargent thought HE was alpha dog, so needless to say it was hard work.

Sargent eats better than most people. WARNING You may not agree with the following: We do feed Sarge table scraps. He gets most of our leftovers plus the odd steak, roast or turkey in with his kibble. Don't worry no bones. On the other hand, my boy Copper doesn't get scraps - he has a sensitive stomach. Sarge's body uses all the nutrients and fats we give him as he needs more being an outdoor dog.

As for other animals coming in HIS territory, I hate to say this, but he always wins. Possums, birds, mice he can catch them. He has had loose dogs come in the yard and when we hear fighting we run out and he has the other dog pinned to the ground. He hasn't killed a dog so far(knock on wood).

As there are dangers outside, there are dangers inside a house as well. What if the house caught fire? Carbon monoxide? Life is full of surprises.

We can't leave Sarge in the house all day while we are at work. It's unfair to him. We are gone 8-10 hrs. But we do have neighbours that look out for him as well.

I used to think it was mean to tie a dog up outside 24/7 until I met Sargent. Unfortunately there are some people in the world that don't care about their dogs and this is what they do. At least we make time for him and take care of him and see to it he is a happy boy.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:07 PM
banned user

Copper'sMom
I give my dogs our food every night for their supper, I agree there is nothing wrong with that. They have their meal after we are done and look foreward to it everynight, I cook 3 chicken breast instead of two for my husband and I. The boys share one and love it, I add cooked veggies and rice that is their meal daily. The meat is changed daily but they do enjoy each meal.
As for your dog, you know what... he seens very happy and healthy, I say keep doing what you are doing and enjoy each others company.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

My mom always gave our dachshund nibbles on steak and stuff when we would eat dinner....And he never started to beg or anything i dont see anything wrong with that..Her cat that she has had Fancy will come and lay on the table when we have a steak dinner eat a few pieces then not want to be bothered with us and leave,i think it is so cute..
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

i seem to find you guys dont seem to have any really strong legislation for the porotection and care of animals. again in the companion animals act of NSW, australia, you can tie a dog up in a yard but it must be on a proper run, it cannot be tied to a tree or anything. i used to have a run for charlie for about 6mths, it was really good and effective but she was only tied up when i had no other option.

as far as walking anywhere offleash, yeah charlie will do it but it is far to dangerous, to many things can go wrong. eg this morning we round the corner up the road and and bang, we run into two staffies having a fight with another dog, if she was not on leaseh she would have either been in that fight, or could have run onto the raod out of fear and such, whati f they chased her and she was off, cars are big and hard and do not discriminate.

as far as dogs scaring my neice and nephew, if big dog comes and is not under control but i see the owner, i point out my big hard boots and let them know either control your dog and get it away from the kids or they will meet my blundstones, simple as that. i am not about to let a kid get bitten because i was being polite, stuff that. any agro dogs near kids or my dog, their owners will get one warning and one only. it is my job to protect the kids and my dog so i will protect them to the full extent of the meaning of the words. period. i have hadmy face torn open by poodles, i know fear of dogs, andi will never put anyone else willingly in that situation.

myst, hopefully your girl will be ok with hannah when she is big, if they grow together size will hoepfully be on the backburner, love may just overcome that fear. i have always been scared of all dogs, except the ones i konw of course. but i grew up with a big golden retriever (lee) and i was never afraid of him, just other dogs, he was like my brother, hopefullly this will be the case for you, and goldens are great friends for kids and are protective of them. (lee once saved my life when i stoped breathing as a sml child, he went to mums room and pulled the blanket of her and howled and cried till she got up and checked his kids, lucky for me she found me and of to hospital and lee was always our hero, i love goldens) and they love their kids, so hopefully she wont be scared of him. try nad encourage them to be best of frineds even if hannah could sleep in her room when a little older etc, it will make a strong bond for them and that will help your little girl. :love:
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:12 PM
banned user

Coppers Mom

Oh I would love it more if ever there was a fire(heaven forbid) and my dog was outside and not in! There hidden dangers in the house..even the best trained dog may get a taste for wires one day...or something in the garbage can they can choke on..so its so much better to check for these dangers ahead of time

As for human food...I use to feed Cujo human food all the time,but it wasnt junk,it was usually lean meat,rice and vegtables...and I plan to do the same with Hannah

If I know we are gonna be giving CUjo some good leftovers,then I would cut down his kibble for one meal,so that he didnt overeat...dogs afteall are meat eaters by nature and I see no harm inthem getting lean meats,grains and veggies for their meals. In fact my vet praised me for Cujos healthy coat,and when I told him what I fed him on occasion,he said "thats great,just make sure he doesnt overeat,but keep giving him healthy human food"
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I am talking about people i see on main roads with dog on no leash how do you train them not to take off????
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
banned user

Melanie

Thanks for your suggestions,they are appreciated...Kelsey loved Cujo and he was a 95lbs teddy bear,but with this other dog being a jumper,I think thats what frightens her alot..that he can jump and get to her face like he did last night...I pulled her from the ground(poor little arm) and he jumped up close to her face and she got scared....but I will do your suggestions
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

also when i have kids around (family members), i like them to give charlie treats and i often get them to put her bowl down and we go out often for play and walk together, i just try and get them all to bond, i have found it also help with the jealousy thing, yes my dog gets jealous of the kids at times and the kids of her (its kinda pathetic at times, at least i know they all love me though :love: )
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
banned user

We are doing that

I often get the girls to give hannah treats,handle her food bowl and even get them to take a toy away..they first have to get her attention by saying her name..saying "give" softly and then taking the toy and giving praise and giving the toy back

Hannah has to learn that she needs to give up anything she has to anyone in the family..for her own safety as well as ours...
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM

Just my 2 cents worth. My 3 dogs are usually off leash around our neighbourhood when we go out for a walk. My oldest Red, never strays from me and hasn't in the 3 years I've had her, so she is almost never on leash no matter where we go. I will leash her sometimes, depending on where we are and if there are kids around. My pups are on leash when we're near a main road, but sometimes we train them on a busy road so they learn not to run into traffic. I let their leash drag and when they start to stray, I step on it and it gets their attention back to me. Also, my dogs all know the word stop and I use this to do just that, make them stop. They know this command and follow it well. When they stop, they automatically sit so we can put them back on lead or whatever. This is just the type of training I do and I wouldn't have my dogs off leash if I wasn't confident in what I've tought them. They also know I'm alpha and that helps them respect me and what I tell them to do.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for answering always wondered how people trained dogs to do that,.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:00 PM

It's a lot of work and it's not easy, but it's so rewarding in the end when you know that it could save your dog's life one day. Hopefully it won't ever have to!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:02 PM
banned user

Heeler-Doing the same thing with Hannah now

when she starts to stray off the property I step on her leash and say STOP ....she will stop..has no choice really,look at me and follows me as I walk the other way
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysts38
when she starts to stray off the property I step on her leash and say STOP ....she will stop..has no choice really,look at me and follows me as I walk the other way
There's no need to step on her leash. Hannah is just a baby, you need to have positive reinforcement, not hurtful. If she gets out of line and begins to stray from you I would just turn in the other direction calling her name in a fun and happy manner... she'll understand that it's fun to follow mommy... not hurtful if you don't...
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

With Daisy, my wife would actually hide behind a tree. It was actually comical. Daisy would panic and come running back.
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Quote:
There's no need to step on her leash. Hannah is just a baby, you need to have positive reinforcement, not hurtful. If she gets out of line and begins to stray from you I would just turn in the other direction calling her name in a fun and happy manner... she'll understand that it's fun to follow mommy... not hurtful if you don't...
That's not true Sammi. I've been doing it with my dog since she was 8 weeks old and she's not the least bit scared of me. I tried turning and running the other way, and she would just stray off and I would have to go after her. The leash stepping thing doesn't hurt them at all, and it most definitely doesn't scare them. Training can be fun, but dogs also learn by correcting unwanted behaviour. Stepping on the leash gets their attention back on you when they start to stray and it teaches them to follow you and pay attention to you. By turning and repeating their name over and over again, all you're doing is teaching them that your voice is annoying and it means nothing when you say their name. Dogs in packs teach by not negotiating with the young pups. If one steps outta line, they get corrected. Human's have started treating dogs like cute and cuddly little teddy bears that shouldn't be disciplined. We're harder on our kids than our canines. There can be no room for a dog to negotiate, or else they will start to challenge more and more to become Alpha. If I ask my dogs to sit, they sit. I don't repeat myself and they know that if they don't sit, I put them into a sit without repeating my command. Next time, they sit the first time.

Some people may not like the above, but that is completely my opinion and how I have trained my dogs.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:52 PM
banned user

Heeler I agree

As sweet as Hannah is at 3 months,shes not gonna be a puppy forever..and this cute 15lb dog,is gonna turn into a large 65-70 lb adult.She needs to learn now,when she is willing and ready

I dont step on the leash hard enough to snap her neck back or gag her,more like pressure with my foot,so she cant go any further..this proves useful when she is heading for the edge of the property(and road) When I do this,she stops,looks back at me and trots towards me...

For her own safety, and the safety of others,hannah has to learn her limits.If a wolf pup strayed too far from its mother,the mother would immediatly correct the pup,by shaking it,growling and bringing it back to the litter..

Ia not hard on hannah..but I dont baby her when she is being trained either..I make it fun for her,but its still lessons she has to learn..and she is a happy,easy going puppers. Even my vet tonight told me he was amazed at her progress and told me to keep it up..
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Meaghan Edwards

I absolutely *hate* seeing loose dogs, unless they're in a designated offleash park or yard. I've had a lot of problems wtih loose dogs and I've had to call the AC a number of times.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I absolutely *hate* seeing loose dogs, unless they're in a designated offleash park or yard. I've had a lot of problems wtih loose dogs and I've had to call the AC a number of times.
Hate is such a strong word. Do you call AC just if you see them off leash or do they do something they shouldn't? I agree that offleash dogs should stay off of other people's property 100% of the time. I never let my dogs on other people's property, but I have no qualms about having them off leash. I hope it's not just the sight of them off leash that bothers you.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Well, not really hate, but I just really don't like seeing them run loose. I've had bad experiances, and the times I've called them was when one dog was at the risk of getting hit by traffic and the other times was when they were threatening my dogs. One JRT owner who I reported accused me of having a vicious dog when my dog defended himself! I told him that being the responsible dog owner that I am, that if my dog has to be leashed while going out for a walk, then so should his. He got all huffy, but he got the fine he deserved.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:24 PM

Well, it's good to know that it isn't just because of dogs being off leash. I agree that if people can't control their dogs offleash, then they shouldn't be offleash. I wouldn't have mine offleash if I didn't feel I could control them. they're not completely there yet, but they're getting better!
Old November 25th, 2004, 01:43 AM

Thumbs up

OMG ! what is the point of owing a dog and training it to be your companion inside and out... if you kennel it or tie it up... come on now.. think about it..
a proper trained dog works with the master - by not only hand command - but voice command - and can go any where anytime and be totally in control.. let your dog run free in a dog park with other doggies to socialize.. but please please don't treat them like wild animals chained - or rope tied....
they will give back 100 fold what you put into loving and caring for them.. trust me.. I have had many and all make me so proud to be their owners..
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:13 AM

Talking Funny Story

I know this is probably bad of me but I have an amusing story about having dogs off leash.

I live on the fourth floor of a five floor building. Everyday I take my dogs up to the roof for some exercise (The roof is big enough for running around with the luxury of having no people or cars around). Because it's only two flights of stairs, I simply open the door and let the dogs race up the stairs. They know the signal to head upstairs and they always make a beeline for the door to the roof where they wait patiently.

Yesterday, however, was quite hilarious. Usually before letting the dogs go up, I check the fifth floor to make sure no one is there and all of the doors to the suites are closed (only 4 suites per floor). I went up and my bosses' door was wide open. The cleaning lady was there, alone, and was airing out the suite. In my broken Korean, I told her I was going to shut the door because I was taking my dogs to the roof. She ignored me but I closed the door. Dogs went up to the roof and everything was fine.

Suddenly, the door to the roof opened. This NEVER happens because no one is home at this time. My four dogs, off leash obviously, see the cleaning lady coming to hang laundry and they make a break for her....Two C. Spaniels, A Shi Tzu and my mini Dalmation. They only wanted to see who it was.

She didn't freak out too bad but she was a little nervous. After finishing her laundry, she went back down to my bosses' suite. On the way down I told her to make sure the doors were closed.

Half an hour later, I took the dogs down, but my bosses' door was open. It was quite comical to see this poor lady trying to shoe out my dogs with them thinking it was a big game. After about five minutes I managed to get them all out and back into my place.

I can just imagine her going home to her family and telling them that not only did she meet a foriegner who speaks some Korean (very rare where I live) but who had four dogs running amok in the building.

The only thing that could have made it any funnier is if it had been my boss. All of the employees hate her and she freaks out every time she sees a dog. I guess my Shi Tzu makes a pretty dangerous looking dog.
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation