Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

View Poll Results: Do you feel like people on this forum are rude way too often?
Yes, I get scared to post 26 50.98%
Yes, but I like to argue with them 3 5.88%
Sometimes I run into a problem 14 27.45%
No, I never had a problem 8 15.69%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 8th, 2005, 10:45 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2006
It MUST be the hour because I am picturing them saying "Get that human to the Doctor, ASAP, and take a stool sample!"

Aye, I need to sleep.
ROFL... that I can see! LOL... they would be like "they ate BEANS?!!! You NEVER let a HUMAN eat BEANS!!! Are you stupid?"
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM
banned user

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but can anyone do a poll? Do we email it to admin?
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:50 PM
banned user

I've never done one, but I think anyone can do it.
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:51 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleyes1437
ROFL... that I can see! LOL... they would be like "they ate BEANS?!!! You NEVER let a HUMAN eat BEANS!!! Are you stupid?"
Haha, my cats would be posting about my husband doing just that!
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
"they ate BEANS?!!! You NEVER let a HUMAN eat BEANS!!! Are you stupid?"
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:55 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismutt
I don't mean to hijack a thread, but can anyone do a poll? Do we email it to admin?
When you create a new thread you just hit the check box and put in the number of options you want (default is 4). Submit your post and the following screen will include the poll info.

Old July 8th, 2005, 10:59 PM
banned user

Thanks guys. Maybe another day. I have been wanting to do one for a while, but didn't know how to go about it. Good night all!
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
Mel, you are a hoot! May I use you as an example? See, people that have been here a long time know that Mel is fiesty in a playful way- not in a mean or hateful way. That doesn't mean her points are not to be taken seriously, don't get me wrong. She has opinions, obviously, and is entitled to them. But those who have been here a while have had the opportunity to really understand the true TONE she intends.

Now if she was brand new to this site, we'd all be scratching our heads, not knowing how to take what she wrote- or we'd be taking it as inflammatory.

Angel, please don't take this as an insult, but you might not realize that Mel really isn't coming here to argue like a TROLL would come here to argue. You know what I mean? I bet if you were sitting across from her when she made some of these statements, you would at least laugh at the delivery.

My point is, maybe there is a lot of misunderstanding in this regard. The members who have been here a while "know" how to take other members' posts, and they might not realize how they come across to a new member. Maybe we lose a bit of sight in our familiarity with one another.

Just a thought.
I'll never forget my intro to Mel when I was the Newbie - her infamous thread about the meaning of "cheeky". Luv ya too, Mel!
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:21 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
I'll never forget my intro to Mel when I was the Newbie - her infamous thread about the meaning of "cheeky". Luv ya too, Mel!

I just looked that up after your post... I almost peed myself!!
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:29 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Marko:

I didn't vote as I didn't fit in any category. "don't post much because I don't have the time to argue/defend or get annoyed with a few "know it all members"...

This site is very helpful and one can learn alot as I have just by reading other people's opinions, beliefs and expertise but at the same time there is way too much rudeness here. I have to totally agree with both Safyre and Kismut "there is long time members..."

I also agree that mod's shouldn't get involved in conversations as it tends to bait "followers'
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Senior Contributor

It is early AM here and I am not quite awake but thinking of if our pets administered and participated in the site - I have visions of a border collie trying to herd cats and my YY (a Siamese diva if there ever was one) would be yowling, no DEMANDING that the collies get a life and let her continue to do what she wants to do. LR's Cloe would be asking how she can get rid of that bonnet her human is so taken with. Princess's adorable poodles would want to play. Twinmommy's cats would be writing a thread on how to survive small twin humans and explaining that concept to the other critters. And they would end up purring and writing that no hissing is allowed, everyone should play nice. And when a kitty comes up who is pregnant with an unwanted pregnancy, the other female kitties would be advising them on planned parenthood or better yet, NO parenthood.

There would also be a category on Best Vets with subcategories listing vets by Best Treats, Most Gentle hands, Clinics that are warm (sphynx and Siamese especially would start this one - they deplore the cold), Best Bedside manner and Most competent in a crisis, most competent for neutering (All the young male kittens would have strong opinions on this subject.

One of the most fav categories would be How to handle humans. A typical post might be "I managed to sneak out of the house and get my human a special treat for her birthday. I was so excited and could barely wait to show it to her. But she shrieked when I presented her with the most beautiful mouse. I can't imagine what I did wrong. Has anyone else had this experience? Are all humans this emotional or do I just have one that needs help. Anyone know a good psychiatrist?"

Or one of the golden labs will write about how she was walking her human and she is "still having trouble training this woman not to stop and chat so much with other humans. Any ideas on how to make sure you get to where you want to and spend MOST the time playing and running. Do others have the same issues trying to your their human?"

Or YY would have written when the Sphynx first came in to ask how she can figure out what that human of hers is up to NOW. "Has anyone else had a human come home and think she's sneaking in two cats? Like she thinks I am not aware of everything that goes on in MY house! And I hate to be rude to these interlopers but they have no fur!!! Any of you kitties out there ever see that before? Are they sick? The smell funny and how do I tell them they lost their fur? Can I help them get it back? Do I want to?

Anyway, so much for my silliness. I think I will rest for a bit before getting up for good, lol

On a serious note, I am almost afraid to post what I think on this thread. Almost! Angel, what do you mean by "downplay people"? And re: "Something like this shows that this board has no hope. Why would you enjoy arguing with someone??"

Many people enjoy arguing tho we call it debating or in severe cases, politics. In my family, we argue about everything so do we have no hope? I suspect we'd all beg to differ - we like to argue and you would not survive if you did not.

My niece tonite - who is an undergraduate at McGill used THAT term tonite in the same way I did so Prin,(You're at McGill right?) you have to have heard it used in that manner. We laughed at her which was the point. She was amazed , like me, that someone would take it the wrong way.

Anyway, that is enough of my long winded self for this AM! Have a great day everyone. Hug your pet(s) before you do anything. And maybe give them time on the keyboard.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
but truly i am concerned here about social skills and communication, perhaps society needs to reassess the use of the net and its acceptance throught society..... please for your own good, toughen up, i beg you it can only help you in life is all im saying......and can only help assist our changing societies.....
I honestly have to agree with this.And the rest of what Mel said.I just didn't want to quote the whole page....LOL

In the "real" world there are different debates and opinions.And I deal with it EVERYDAY.Either it be at home with my family,or at work with my co-workers.Do I watch my P's and Q's as to not "hurt" someones feelings?It depends on the situation.With me I say it like it is.Maybe it has to do with my job.I remember when I had to train a guy who just graduated from Police Collage.Now you think a Rookie like that would listen to me.Heck no.Can you believe HE was telling ME how to do MY job?A job that I was doing for 10 years(at the time of training him).We butted heads from the begining.It got to the point where I just had enough of him.I was tired of the heated debates we were having.It got to the point were I was close to decking him.This Rookie actually went and whinned and complained to my Sarge.I was pulled into the office and gave the third degree.I said to him are you finished.Then told him what was really happenening.I also told him to find someone else to train him cause I had enough.And trust me,Mr Know it all Rookie was put in his place by someone else.....

What I am trying to say is that we all have different views and opinions.Heck,I hear my 18 year old daughter having them with her friends.And yes with me also.And that's good.I want her to voice her opinions and thoughts.Yes to a point also.Has it toughened her up?Yup,it has.And that's good.Why?Cause this is the "real" world and she has to learn.I can't keep her in a bubble forever.I can't protect her forever.She is an adult now.

As for the Mods and Marko,I think they do a great job.They do not take sides.And if someone gets out of hand,they will speak up.I do remember quite some time ago when I got an email telling me to cool it.So if anyone on here thinks that they won't say something to you personally,think again.They do.And I think that great.If something gets out of hand and they thing the thread needs closing,they will close it.They have the smarts to know when it should or should not be done.And I have never had a problem with any of them.

K,that's my rant.....

Last edited by mona_b; July 9th, 2005 at 09:10 AM. Reason: damn comp froze and clicked on post before I was done...lol
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I didn't vote, because there really wasn't a choice that fit, that being said, I think basically most people here are good people who truly love their pets (that's why they come here) .

I do think "some" are a little more "nasty" then others, and get angry and start insulting and attacking , when people don't agree with them!

But I still feel the majority of people here, can give it as well as they take it, and it is an public forum and everyone has a right to their opinion.

I don't however feel that anyone has right to attack or insult a person just beause they do not agree with an opinion.

Like the old saying goes, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK
My niece tonite - who is an undergraduate at McGill used THAT term tonite in the same way I did so Prin,(You're at McGill right?) you have to have heard it used in that manner. We laughed at her which was the point. She was amazed , like me, that someone would take it the wrong way.
No I haven't heard undergrad used like that. I'm not at McGill, but where I come from, being an undergrad means you're more educated than most, not that you're a young person with no cooth. Maybe the students at your university are all young, but I know the mature student program at Concordia is very developed so there are many, many older students around. It is insulting to equate being an undergrad with immaturity. It is degrading to the rest of us who take our studies very seriously and take pride in our work.

Writing informally, with poor spelling or with poor grammar is not something you do because you are young, or because you are an undergrad. It's something you do either because the situation is lax or because you are lazy (in the case of your students who present cruddy work). Please don't befowl a positive term, such as "undergrad", by using it in a condescending context. That's all I'm saying.
Old July 9th, 2005, 11:00 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
On a serious note, I am almost afraid to post what I think on this thread. Almost! Angel, what do you mean by "downplay people"? And re: "Something like this shows that this board has no hope. Why would you enjoy arguing with someone??"

Many people enjoy arguing tho we call it debating or in severe cases, politics. In my family, we argue about everything so do we have no hope? I suspect we'd all beg to differ - we like to argue and you would not survive if you did not.
CK- I thought this was over with already. We straightened out the comments with Mel if you failed to read it. I am always down for a good debate... I clearly stated that I've heard from plenty of people that they were "scared to post"... which obviously I am NOT. I've seen plenty of rudeness- not debating on this site which is why I started this thread. Can you let it go or will we continue? I really don't see why this should be started up again!

And I am saying this in a nice (NOT rude way)... I'm just responding to your post

Last edited by Angeleyes1437; July 9th, 2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old July 9th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wondered what downplay meant? I guess I am a not too swift Maritimer, sue me, lol No wait, I take that back.

Prin, point taken. I know how upset I get when ppl use the certain less than pc terms here and I express my opinion on that. I am not sure we we use it that way here - no clue as to the origin but I think it was undergards - most of whom may have been young at the time - laughing at themselves. I won't use it here and I am sorry it it offends you.

Actually, all of my students are older since many of them are already MD's but they do tend to be in their 20's. We have mature students too but I think smaller universities like Concordia prob work with mature students better and more easily. That said, even some of the nbewly minted MD's now enrolled in residency programs here cannot write well, imho!! (and it seems to get worse every yr. Some of my colleagues blame the net. I do not think that is the only problem and actually while acronyms may be here to stay, I doubt the net is a prob!)

Anyway, I am sooo off topic, lol
Old July 9th, 2005, 01:56 PM
banned user

Quote:
Just wondered what downplay meant? I guess I am a not too swift Maritimer, sue me, lol No wait, I take that back.
You don't know what downplay means??????????????? You can look it up in the dictionary but it means "to play down" or "de-emphasize".
Old July 9th, 2005, 02:24 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirls
Marko:

I didn't vote as I didn't fit in any category. "don't post much because I don't have the time to argue/defend or get annoyed with a few "know it all members"...

This site is very helpful and one can learn alot as I have just by reading other people's opinions, beliefs and expertise but at the same time there is way too much rudeness here. I have to totally agree with both Safyre and Kismut "there is long time members..."

I also agree that mod's shouldn't get involved in conversations as it tends to bait "followers'
Well said GoldenGirls , I've read everything other's have wrote we all have our own opinions. I'm ready to be jumped on over what I am going to say but oh well here it is. I feel mod's should not be so rude to some people, I feel they make a point of reading some peoples answers only to disagree with that person no matter what their answer is very sad and yes theirs friends follow!

I love animals myself and treat my dogs very well, but I don't run to the Vet with every little thing that happens.
People here are telling others to see a Vet, yes sometimes it's needed but come on it seems to be said for every little thing people ask. They might come for help as they can't pay a Vet bill and OMG they are now bad pet owners.

They didn't drop the pet off at the HS, they are asking for help and get rudeness instead. Things happen few months back I was laid off after working in same office for many years, people lose theirs jobs do the best they can so why make matters worse by telling people if you can't care for a pet the way you people do then you should not have any.

Some times I'm shocked by what people say on here, and yes I don't post alot but I do enjoy looking at pictures of everyone pet.

I came to pets.ca to learn more about puppy mills after learning about the breeder my dog came from, I was told how stupid I was. Yes I should of been more educated before buying but, what was I to do get rid of my dog after learning he came from a mill? no of course not. I nursed him to health with some great advice from some people on here( and MY Vet's advice aswell), others were rude and I have not forgotten who they are. I also feel that from my post on pets.ca others read about the breeder and decided not to buy from them, if I stopped only one sale of a puppy to these people I did good!

I often tell people I like dogs over humans, reading through this thread reminds me of many reasons why.

Last edited by goldenblaze; July 9th, 2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old July 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM
banned user

goldenblaze... I was happy to read your response. I think I can speak for many people when I say I agree with you.
Old July 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleyes1437
goldenblaze... I was happy to read your response. I think I can speak for many people when I say I agree with you.
Thanks
I read every word people wrote before I posted, I was not going to post but after thinking more I thought I should share my opinion aswell. While back people were sending PMs telling others I was involed with someone causing trouble on here, nothing further from the truth but because others were saying it , it must be true... see how thing go on here. Not one person asked me, they just sent pm talking about me behind my back how rude was that. One person sent me a pm telling me what was going on, I was shocked but thankful she had enough balls to tell me. I sent a pm to Marko at that time telling him how I felt and never heard anything back. It's over and done with but I did lose alot of respect for some people, that is forsure.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I like you GoldenBlaze u know dat
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Thx for the defintion, I think. Just did not understand why you had to include an "attitude" with it - just say what it is, don't try to be mean. Gheez, <Shaking my head> And actually downplay is not in my dictionay. Don't worry- I won't ask you for help again.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:29 PM
banned user

Quote:
Thx for the defintion, I think. Just did not understand why you had to include an "attitude" with it - just say what it is, don't try to be mean. Gheez, <Shaking my head> And actually downplay is not in my dictionay. Don't worry- I won't ask you for help again.
Downplay is in dictionaries though, ... there was no attitude in it- I honestly didn't know if you were serious or not. Calm down CK, nobody is out to get you... it seems like you don't want to let go of this hostile tone.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Kitty Consort

I would just like to make one other suggestion here, if I may.

Anonymous moderators.

This enables them to offer their own input freely, without concerns that their comments might influence others to "side" with them, or that negative comments will be judged as inappropriate with the moderator "hat" on.

I've always felt this was a better plan. Why do people need to know who the mods are - as long as they can reach one?

Of course we already know who they are, but newbies wouldnt and over time there presence on the board would be no different that any others. Everyone on the same "footing..so to speak.

For locking threads, moderator comments.. a general MODERATOR login is used.

Just a thought... works for me.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:43 PM
banned user

Not a bad idea Shamrock!
What does everyone else think?
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I honestly cannot see why anyone would be scared to post,if you have an opinion,any opinion,it's worth posting..it's not like someone is going to jump out of your PC-screen and attack you We are in cyber-space after all.
I am certainly one of the"old"posters and I have learned an awful lot from this Forum,especially about dogs and I have 3 cats
I've learned about private rescues,whom I did not even know existed,people who would go the extra mile to save a life...
Yes,sometimes I can get angry and try to hold my tounge...but voicing my opinion should not be considered rude,I honestly do not think I have a rude bone in my body
Life is too darn short to be sensitive about everything that's said in this Forum....I for one think it's a great Forum and I hope it continues to be so..
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM

I like that idea, Shamrock.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
I honestly cannot see why anyone would be scared to post,if you have an opinion,any opinion,it's worth posting..it's not like someone is going to jump out of your PC-screen and attack you We are in cyber-space after all.
I am certainly one of the"old"posters and I have learned an awful lot from this Forum,especially about dogs and I have 3 cats
I've learned about private rescues,whom I did not even know existed,people who would go the extra mile to save a life...
Yes,sometimes I can get angry and try to hold my tounge...but voicing my opinion should not be considered rude,I honestly do not think I have a rude bone in my body
Life is too darn short to be sensitive about everything that's said in this Forum....I for one think it's a great Forum and I hope it continues to be so..
You are right, however some people do not want to get upset over a forum... so they would rather not post than deal with a stampede of people attacking them. This is a shame because we lose some really useful input. I don't think anyone should have to feel intimidated. IMO
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
but voicing my opinion should not be considered rude.
Life is too darn short to be sensitive about everything.
sista...

Anita,you definately don't have a rude bone in your body....(((((((HUGS))))))

I just wanted to add that my husband has seen some of the posts on here.And if anything,he thinks that some of the newbies who come on here, not wanting to take their VERY sick if not dying pet to the vet,but would rather get a quick fix from us non vets,need a swift kick in the A$$..That's my man for you....

Last edited by mona_b; July 9th, 2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Angeleyes,yes I guess it depends on the person and how sensitive you are,the only time I get emotional is when reading about an animal being abused,or when an animal had to be PTS..but then again,I am not an insecure teenager anymore what people think about me,is really not important any more.
This Forum is mainly for and about animals,one of my main interests,be they wild or domestic and I am often considered a bit over the top...but that's me in a nut-shell,take it or leave it..
You are only intimidated if you allow yourself to be,if you have strong beliefs in something,no matter what any poster says it should not change.
I came here for advice a long time ago,one of my cats had attacked me twice and I mean attack,with serious bitewounds(yes,I still have him!)Lucky was wonderful and helpful and although he would probably do the same again,I now know how to prevent it,thank's to this Forum and Lucky..