Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Need advice on dog food.

I'm doing this on behalf of my elderly neighbour's little Pomeranian named Nika.

She is 6-7 years old and had been on medication and Hills Prescription i/d for
Gastrointestinal Health. Case of 24. I say she developed problems because she kept giving her hamburger meat EVERY day, because that was the only thing that she would eat.

Her medications were;

Metronidazole 50 mg. 2 x a day, for 10 days and Acid control pills- 1/2 a pill, 2 x a day.

She finished her medication and is almost finished the food also. She called the vet and now they want her to give Nika Hills Science Diet, (canned) Chicken & Beef flavor.

I've heard that Science Diet is not the best food and would love to hear from you guys what food you would recommend for little Nika after what she went through.

I should also mention that the woman adopted Nika around June and in August she was rushed to the DMV as she was very sick. Long story short,
she had a severe infection due to Pyometra. (She wasn't told that she wasn't fixed.) They had to do an emergency surgery on her at 3:00 in the morning. Thankfully she recovered well and then the middle of November had to deal with the gastro. Poor widdle doggie.

So any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. :-)
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What gastrointestinal problem was she diagnosed with, rg_girlca?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:39 PM

I'm sorry hazelrunpack I don't know exactly what gastrointestional problem Nika was diagnosed with. All I know is that she wasn't eating and she had problems moving her bowels and when she did, it was like a bloody mucous. Since her medications and the new food, her bowels are back to normal now. The vet told her that it was caused by her eating too much hamburger meat every day, (cooked) and that it was too rich and heavy for her and it caused intestional problems. She did have x-rays taken and blood tests done and the x-ray showed no blockage in the intestines, but, for the life of me, I can't remember all the results of her blood tests. I know there was one thing where her levels were a little high. That's about all I know.