Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 1st, 2017, 11:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

JD's URI--new symptom

He's actually doing much better. Less sneezing, only the occasional drippy nose, and his eyes are nearly cleared up.

However, starting just recently, when he does sneeze, the snot is often tinged pink with fresh blood. Is that normal in a cat with chronic rhinitis or should we have the vet check him out again? (He was just in for a checkup up a few months ago.) Could it just be that the air is drier with the furnace running and that's irritating his nasal membranes?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:54 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel have you ever thought of trying Lysene for JD....I know in the past many folks have stated that it works great in building up the immune system...

Here is a past thread about Lysene:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ghlight=lysene

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 2nd, 2017, 08:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Howdy, Cindy! Nice to see you!

Yep, we tried lysine. Hard to find around here in any form except a chewable, which JD hated. So I'd crush one and sprinkle it on his food. Didn't seem to help or hurt, except it made him drool, so we finally discontinued it.

As he's gotten older and settled in more, his URI has improved greatly, though. His eyes have pretty much cleared up and he isn't as congested, nor does he sneeze as much. But the pink snot when he does sneeze has me worried some. If it's just dry irritation from having turned the heat on, it's probably not worth a trip to the vet, and I think that might be what's going on. I usually see it in the morning--one sneeze and then it's over.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

After three weeks of cold with nose blowing I see some blood in myself. Can you check your humidity levels? We have to ADD moisture in cold weather. Proper humidity levels help thwart people colds and is better for your wood furniture and electronics and might help JD. Not to dismiss Vetting.
Old December 6th, 2017, 05:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good thought, Longblades! It is a little drier in the area where he is, but only got that way this week when the temps plummeted. It's generally in the 30s and 40s % relative humidity there, and about 46% in the rest of the house. I wish I could remember exactly when the pink sneezes started and if it coincided with lower humidity.

I think we have a humidifier, or at least a mister--I think I'll dig it out and give it a try!