Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Your wish is my command, DD. Here he is again with his new favorite toy, a water bottle. You can see the attitude already. Jarrah crowded him before he came out of the crate and he growled and had his hackles up, and I don't think he wanted her near HIS water bottle.
The trip went well, except for mile upon mile of road works where they are widening the highway. Still, we got there in time for coffee and a cake before the guy arrived with him. I did not even toilet him on the way home. He's old enough to be into the lean, racey stage so could not risk him slipping his collar. Poor kid was sooo hungry, and is ready for a meal again now. All in all he has travelled 1800klm, or a bit more. His breeder could not get him on the plane where she wanted to because floods had closed the airport, instead she had to drive over to the coast with him to another airport. I'm letting him rest today, he's had two hard days.
Attached Images

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, he thinks the leaves on my roses are to chew on. Oh dear!
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM

aww he is home!
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, finally he is, Jull. And he's like some canine mobile vacuum cleaner, sucking up all manner of things. Feathers, rose leaves, sticks, stones etc..
Attached Images

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:55 AM

I love the pic with the feather! He is gorgeous.

yah... our new pup is a vacuum too and still doesn't chew on anything he eats so he has almost chocked a couple times they are so funny during their puppy stage!
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

GF, thank you for the pics. You know we have a reputation here for being pushy about pics, and since Hazel is away for a bit, I felt I had to uphold the tradition. You know we were all waiting!! He's gorgeous, love the feather. Maybe you should have called him Hoover. That's what I wanted to call Halo because she also sucked up everything as a pup. While teaching her "drop it" she quickly learned to pick up everything in order to be told to drop it and then get a treat. Cigarette butts, rocks, gum, you name it...

Roo looks none the worse for his travels GF, and Jarrah looks intrigued! I hear you about worrying about him slipping his collar. I have been thinking of that also.

How long was he on the plane for? My pups will be about 5 hours travel time, plus before and after so probably about 8 or 9 hours total before we get them (assuming all goes as planned). Was Roo clean when you got him or had he soiled in his crate? I worry about having two very stinky puppies when I meet them, but that's okay, we'll bath them up good when we get them home.

So I have been thinking and I think picture updates every other day should be okay. Daily sounds very pushy....
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Yes, finally he is, Jull. And he's like some canine mobile vacuum cleaner, sucking up all manner of things. Feathers, rose leaves, sticks, stones etc..
He is a gorgeous puppy.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

DD, that's funny about Halo. I think my sister has a proper term for that sort of behaviour, but when I asked her she was flustered, wanting to get ready for her art class, so she merely said it's clever, but the dog is training you, not vice a versa. Her sheltie (don't ask me which one) was taught to pick things up for them, for a reward, and she eventually started searching the house for objects she might be rewarded for . And, if she was on Tony's lap and he had a pen in his pocket, she would pull it out and drop it just so she could be rewarded for picking it up for him.

Roo's day started at 5am with a 3 hour drive to Lismore (during which he was car sick), then out to Ballina when he couldn't fly from Lismore. On the plane at 10am, down to Sydney where I imagine the company we were using, Dogtainers, would have put him on another flight down to Melbourne. But actual time in the air, I don't know, I think he might have got in some time before 4pm, the girl at the office said someone was going over to pick him up then. I don't know if he'd dirtied in the crate, most likely he had. Dogtainers kept him overnight and he did dirty on the way up to Ballarat the next morning but not from Ballarat to home. Unfortunately you have twice the chance of dirty pups so go prepared to clean them up a bit, will you be keeping the crate they arrive in? If so, clean newspaper for them to sit on, a plastic bin bag to stuff the dirty bedding or paper into, wipes or a cloth you can try to remove the worst with if they lie in anything. When do you get them exactly? Don't stress about it too much(says I, who was very nearly sick on Tuesday, and suffering chest pains on Wednesday morning ).

Barkingdog, pleased you like him. I still cannot get over how beautifully my shelties accepted him, and how confident he is because of that. He's strutting around already as if he intends to rule his new Kingdom.
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:59 PM

Seems the little guy has decided Jarrah's not so bad after all , cute pic of the two of them together

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the tips GF. I figure odds are they'll be dirty. I am actually planning to call the local pet store as they may have a dog wash station there. It would be good to be able to wash them up and dry them before we travel home. It's only about an hour drive, but it's hard to open the windows all the way in the winter. We will be keeping the crate, it's mine for keeps, and sleeps for now while they still fit. I did plan on bringing clean papers and such to get them home with.

Not sure what day they're coming yet. They can only book the flight 4 days in advance, but it should be near Feb 7-10th. The breeder who is shipping them has a show the weekend before. Hopefully they'll get in early enough in the day that I can bath them on the way home or at home. I'm lucky here because we have a full bath in the garage, it's perfect for dog baths. Unfortunately it's not raised up to be easier on my back, but that's fine. The dogs have always appreciated the warm water versus the cold hose!

I think Roo will be the cock-of-the-walk in no time at all by the sounds of it!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:10 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

GF, what a handsome lil man he is!!! I just LOVE his face
And the pic with the feather... AWESOME!! Keeping up with this thread and DD's sure makes me long for a puppy... until I look at the hole in the wall, all my dining table chairs and the table legs, the baseboards and the list goes on!!
All courtesy of Montana

So I think I will just have to live vicariously through the 2 of you and the many wonderful pics you will be sharing!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Okay Robyn, I have my fingers in my ears, I don't want to hear that stuff! My boss took great pleasure yesterday telling me about a friend who shipped his dog and it didn't go well. Thanks dummy! GF I guess you missed my post about every other day pics huh?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
DD, that's funny about Halo. I think my sister has a proper term for that sort of behaviour, but when I asked her she was flustered, wanting to get ready for her art class, so she merely said it's clever, but the dog is training you, not vice a versa. Her sheltie (don't ask me which one) was taught to pick things up for them, for a reward, and she eventually started searching the house for objects she might be rewarded for . And, if she was on Tony's lap and he had a pen in his pocket, she would pull it out and drop it just so she could be rewarded for picking it up for him.

Roo's day started at 5am with a 3 hour drive to Lismore (during which he was car sick), then out to Ballina when he couldn't fly from Lismore. On the plane at 10am, down to Sydney where I imagine the company we were using, Dogtainers, would have put him on another flight down to Melbourne. But actual time in the air, I don't know, I think he might have got in some time before 4pm, the girl at the office said someone was going over to pick him up then. I don't know if he'd dirtied in the crate, most likely he had. Dogtainers kept him overnight and he did dirty on the way up to Ballarat the next morning but not from Ballarat to home. Unfortunately you have twice the chance of dirty pups so go prepared to clean them up a bit, will you be keeping the crate they arrive in? If so, clean newspaper for them to sit on, a plastic bin bag to stuff the dirty bedding or paper into, wipes or a cloth you can try to remove the worst with if they lie in anything. When do you get them exactly? Don't stress about it too much(says I, who was very nearly sick on Tuesday, and suffering chest pains on Wednesday morning ).

Barkingdog, pleased you like him. I still cannot get over how beautifully my shelties accepted him, and how confident he is because of that. He's strutting around already as if he intends to rule his new Kingdom.
I read that puppies get sicked because their ears drums are not fully developed. I thought this was interesting as this would be why small children get car sick a lot.
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dogs-and-motion-sickness

That is really wonderful your shelties has accepted him, that made things a lot easier for you. Your shelties much be very well adjusted dogs and know you love them too. This show that you're leader of the pack .
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

GF love the pics! he looks like he is gonna be a real handsome boy! Love the stockiness to his body. That feather picture is a framer for sure. You will never see that day again as they grow up so fast. Glad to hear everyone has accepted the new interloper! How is he doing with his crating now? are you sleeping through the night?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:17 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

He is a handsome boy.like the pic with the feather.the look says what Glad he finally made to his new home.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Okay, time for some more photo's(DD. LOL) What you are seeing here is his first meeting, through the fence, with my sheep. Hahahaha!
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
Senior Contributor

More in that sequence of photo's, as he gets used to the sheep. Bo thinks it all a big yawn but Roo is not taking any chances with them woolly things.
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Just hanging out with them now, relaxed enough to chew the cane I had there for a sunflower, and one of my roses, though the oldest sheltie boys came along to give him some backup.
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:00 AM
Senior Contributor

He's getting a bit more business-like in the first photo. You are going to see a lot more chewing photo's while he is teething, poor baby. That old block of firewood has had cattle dog pups chewing on it for maybe 30 years.
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:13 AM
Senior Contributor

You'd have to caption the last one 'NO, Roo, let sleeping dogs lie!', wouldn't you? He was deadheading my rose, Kathleen harrop, in the first photo, even though it wasn't ready for it, then stealing an apple off the tree. Ian tells me he can eat an apple through the net. Now, I ask you, ladies, why would he just sit and let him do that??
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston, it's funny how differently people perceive things. We, (hubby and I) looked at the pup and thought he was whipetty and light on,yet you see him as being stocky. I suppose it's just that we are used to solid adult cattle dogs.

Barkingdog, don't know about being pack leader, Toby(sheltie) is the quiet, hidden alpha here, and he checked young Roo for getting in his face yesterday. This morning Roo was being very submissive, just in case. LOL.

Angeldogs, I'm pleased he is here, that's for sure, the waiting got really tedious. I'd still have the odd moment where I'd wonder if I was doing the right thing, getting him, and I don't know, maybe DD knows what I mean, but it is worth it once they finally arrive.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

GF I love the last shot! Roo looks like he is having a very serious discussion.

Maybe he is saying "Hey its not so bad here afterall"!

Maybe he looks stocky because of the photo. But after seeing the new pics he looks like he is growing ..he looks like he will be a big boy to me.

Regardless he is a stunner for sure! Love the shelties observing him!! Not sure which one it was in the pic but they are looking at whomever is taking the picture and saying "I told him not to do it!"
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope he doesn't grow too big, but if he does he'll be a guard dog and pet instead of a show dog, which is fine . If I get to the first shows I entered for he should just get in, but could be up against babies that are almost 3 months older than him. I want to do it just for the experience for him.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Just hanging out with them now, relaxed enough to chew the cane I had there for a sunflower, and one of my roses, though the oldest sheltie boys came along to give him some backup.
I loves the last of Roo when up close to a sheep and hashis head cocked and your sheltie it looking up at you. The photos are really fun to look at , I thinking they would be great for a kid book as the photos tell a story .
Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:31 PM

He looks so soft. Is he making the other dogs act younger by running around with him and playing, or do they just stand by and try to figure him out?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh GF he's so adorable! Thank you for all the pics. Yes I know exactly what you mean. Right now I am seriously, seriously, second guessing getting two - now that may never change actually, but I know once they are here it will be all worth it - well maybe in a year.

Roo certainly does look to be getting into everything. He's got a whole lot more to explore than my two will though. I'm amazed that he's already stealing apples!

Just showed DH this thread with all the pics of Roo chewing stuff, he just shook his head. I reminded him that he should see the theme of chewing everything!
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Barkingdog, the reason his head was cocked was because he was chewing the bamboo cane that used to have a sunflower tied to it, and Bo is probably trying to tell me "Hey mum, look, he shouldn't be eating THAT!!" LOL.

Lindapalm, the sheltie boys are starting to get stressed, the bolder he gets. He's not soft, he's a devil dog from Hell! Ordinarily Dundee would never come to me wanting to get on my knee if his brother, Bo, was already there trying to get up first. They've had fights in the past, those two, so they give each other some space. Now though, it's "Pick me up first, Roo's coming", which I guess is better than them attacking him. I sometimes pick Roo up to give them some peace. If another dog bumps him, he growls and fires up. He had his hackles up and growling when I had a visitor today. A typical ACD pup in other words.
He is fixated on Jarrah now, the precocious little brat, 11 weeks old and with such big plans. Not unusual for them to jump on other dogs but he is doing the tugging at the coat bit that some stud dogs do to see if the female is receptive. (As in the photo). Only trouble is that he grabs coat on her anywhere and tugs hard, so just a matter of time before he gets told to mind his manners ,by Jarrah, not me.
DD, you've got bees, haven't you? I hope the bees never go after your pups. My sister's bees attacked her son's Poodle.
Attached Images

Old February 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a couple this morning I have to rush now to get ready for a shopping trip. My birthday today so fingers crossed I get no bad news about my last blood tests when I see my Dr this morning.
That soft Toy Roo has here is, rather appropriately, a black and white cow. Sorry the second photo blurred- wouldn't you think all those teeth would put the little monster off annoying her? Not likely it seems. He looks so innocent in that first photo.
Attached Images

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfields View Post
just a couple this morning i have to rush now to get ready for a shopping trip. My birthday today so fingers crossed i get no bad news about my last blood tests when i see my dr this morning.
That soft toy roo has here is, rather appropriately, a black and white cow. sorry the second photo blurred- wouldn't you think all those teeth would put the little monster off annoying her? Not likely it seems. He looks so innocent in that first photo.
happy birthday!
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Happy birthday!

hope the Dr's appointment went well.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi