Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I just finished reading 3 pages of this tragedy.
It was his wife who was the passenger,they'd been out celebrating their anniversary,any sobriety-test on Bryant??? NO.
I can see how he lost it,after Mr Shepard,threw his courier bag on to the hood of the car.
That's the time when Bryant should have called 911 and he could have been in the right,a life would have been saved.

The Star paints a glorious picture of a brilliant man(Bryant)his wonderful marriage,success etc...but takes every opportunity to bring up all of Mr Shepards troubles.
That sort of reporting always bothers me,Is Shepards life less important because he came from a troubled back-ground???
He kept an honest job,made a living,had stopped drinking,but he after death will get a sobriety testnot Bryant..
I am sure all the best lawyers,will now form a line behind Bryant,eager to defend him and make the newspapers.
It will be very interesting to see what happens,but we have to wait until mid October.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I haven't had time to read the news this morning, but the first thing I thought of was the hell this poor cyclist went through Monday night. I can't get the picture out of my head, perhaps because I am a cyclist.

I would like to know what Bryant did before the cyclist through his bag onto the car.

This morning on a part of the hwy that I have to bike on the road because the shoulder is ruined, there was a car who was passing another car so the passee had nowhere to move away to give me room. The car was inches away from me. That is the $hit bikers put up with from car drivers. It is not our fault we have to bike on a car's lane, it is the gov't who doesn't give us the space.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

not to make light of a serious terrible time, but my nephew who works for the govt and is a staunch conservative emailed me yesterday (knowing how against the pit bull ban) in the email he wrote

Aunt Shelley (me) I guess the pit bull ban really is working, there is now less deaths caused by pitbulls than by liberals
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Very sad and tragic story :sad:

We had a very heated dicussion here at work about it, there are people here who actually believe the cyclist got what he deserved !!??
Some here were saying "poor Bryant, must have been terrified, this crazy drunken cyclist hanging off his car, trying to grab his steering wheel, he deserved what he got" !!!
OMG and I'm sure that is exactly how his lawyers (that I'm sure will be paid for by the tax payers) will defend it !!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Aunt Shelley (me) I guess the pit bull ban really is working, there is now less deaths caused by pitbulls than by liberals
That's funny (with all due respect to the deceased that is)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

This is going to kill me to say it, but...

It looks like Bryant may have been more of a victim than originally thought. It sounds like the cyclist was raging due to something Bryant did. The latest I heard was the cyclist grabbed the wheel, that's why the car went to the curb lane. That hasn't been confirmed, though. My arguement against that, though is it's a fight between someone sitting and holding the wheel with two hands vs someone hanging off the side of the car. I'd think the person sitting would have the upper hand, so to speak.

I asked Mrs. Schwinn last night if it'd be poetic justice if the judge decided that people like him were inherantly dangerous on the road and made an example of him. Honestly, I don't wish to see someone go to jail who doesn't deserve it, but I do think it'd be karma if this man lost his career and all he worked for due to this--the things he lost by forgoing integrity to get them in the first place. At the very least, if he is innocent, I hope he experiences many a sleepless night, grief and worry through something that is no fault of his own. Public persecution that isn't justified would just be karma again, IMHO.

And this whole cyclists vs. cars arguement that's been in the media for two days is really getting on my nerves. If everyone follows the rules, and stops acting like arrogant jerks and treating everyone with respect, we wouldn't have to have this arguement. I hear one more idiot say, "Well, I see them run stop signs all the time, so I'm not giving them any room" or "It's my right to be on the road, so I'm going to ride down the middle of the lane", I'm going to scream.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Very sad and tragic story :sad:

We had a very heated dicussion here at work about it, there are people here who actually believe the cyclist got what he deserved !!??
Some here were saying "poor Bryant, must have been terrified, this crazy drunken cyclist hanging off his car, trying to grab his steering wheel, he deserved what he got" !!!
OMG and I'm sure that is exactly how his lawyers (that I'm sure will be paid for by the tax payers) will defend it !!!
I know, I was reading some of the comments on the cbc website and couldn't believe it. Do people really have such a low disregard for life that somebody deserves death for hanging onto a car? Bryant feared for his life????? there was a crowd around, it is not like they were on a deserted road. I would think it would be very difficult to hold onto a car and grab the steering wheel unless they were Superman.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well said Schwinn and so true. Follow the rules, give cyclists the room and there would be a lot less deaths.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
-

In the Star it noted that the cyclist was running alongside the car, it also showed pics of the bicycle unscathed, it would appear that he had dismounted
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

He dismounted to confront Bryant, but he definitely wasn't running beside his car if the pedals in the picture I saw are the ones I think they are. I've got the same style for my road bike, and it's hard enough to walk, let alone run in them.

It seems to depend on who's account you read as to where to lay blame. This one paints him less like a victim than the Star (you know, the Liberal Propaganda newspaper?)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1272593/
I'm inclined to believe that Bryant acted like an arrogant DB (not too much of a stretch, ya think?), Sheppard (the cyclist) then puffed up his chest and raged on Bryant, and Bryant finished it by deliberately ramming Sheppard into the mail box. I'm of the opinion that if the car went to the other side of the road because of Sheppard, it wouldn't have driving along the side, or avoided hitting anything beyond the man hanging off the side. I think if it was due to Sheppard, the car would have hit a pole or something, or he would have been knocked off with the first impact and the car would swerve back across as Bryant regained control.

At the end of the day, I'm trying not to come to any definitive conclusions until everything comes out. Check that--I have come to one conclusion. Two people acted like idiots, and because of that, one died. I don't think either is blameless, we just have yet to see where to lay the blame. Oh, and while I hope Bryant sees proper justice (prosecuted if guilty, lesser charges if not), I do hope he spends many, many nights sleepless, and loses his career over it.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

A serious cyclist wears special shoes that clip into the pedals, they have a very stiff sole with metal clips that stick out a bit at the front end of the shoe. They are very hard to walk in, let alone run along side a car. It was stated in one article that witness could see the sparks from the cyclist's shoes as he was being dragged by the car, so he was wearing them.

I also read that when Bryant drove away, he clipped the bike again.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
-

I agree that the Star painted a picture of Bryant that he was more or less the victim.....I think he is an arrogant s.o.b.....I don't think he will get his due though not in Canada anyway :sad:
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I don't know about any of you, but if some "raving lunatic" had ahold of my steering wheel, causing me not to have control of it, I certainly wouldn't gun it! I'd stop, especially in such a busy area, other inocent people could have been hurt or killed. witnesses said Bryant was driving really fast.....maybe the cyclist was also pushing on the gas pedal ?!

I'm sure Bryant will get off, becuase the lawyers and press will make him out to be a poor innocent victim, and a hero. whereas this unknown now deceased fellow will be made out to be some drunking, crazy, man from the wrong side of the tracks. As I said before, the tax payers will probably pay for the best defence that money can buy for Bryant.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I can honestly say,I'll be very happy not ever to see this mans arrogant face on TV again.
Do I wish him harm?
Yes,not physical harm,not the kind of harm he caused hundreds of dogs and innocent puppies who were killed,their only crime,having been born in Ontario,but I want him to suffer,as I am sure he is right now.
Not because of Mr Shepards death,I doubt he cares,he only cares about losing his stature in his society,so very different from us normal humans.

Maybe he will be sentenced to community-service,cleaning up the death-row cages,where so many dogs had their lives terminated
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I was just thinking, what did Bryant do to enrage this biker?? I hardly think that the biker jumped off his bike and went after Bryant for no reason (not so easy when you are clipped into the pedals. So was Bryant the victim or the instigator?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Meaghan Edwards

The media's slant on Bryant being the poor innocent driver being attacked by evil, slathering cyclist is really suspect to me. And all too similar to the way the way they (the media) worshiped him during his pit bull tirade. As we know, an unfortunate amount of people are also sheeple. :/

Also, a friend of mine pointed out people tend to look to the left when they are lying; an example of this is his picture on the Toronto Star.

Like Vick, Bryant's only sorry he got caught. There was zero emotion in his voice yesterday with his "apology" , he was using that same robotic tone of voice . . .
Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He has hired a PR firm to help him through this and possibly a private detective. If it was all innocent on his part, then as far as I am concerned he shouldn't need it.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

M.Bryant has always been shifty-eyed,never really looked into a camera,whatever he was talking about always seemed very staged and insincere.
The Toronto Star is trying their hardest to paint this wonderful romantic pic of what happened that night,between husband and wife,only to be disrupted by a drunken cyclist

L4H,there was a collision,but I don't think we know who's fault it was,it does not really matter,the cyclist is not alive to defend himself.
Bryant says he's innocenthe was driving the car,wasn't he
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You are right, there is nobody to tell Darcy's side of the story. There is no doubt the PR firm is going to tell the media what they want the media to talk about. I read that after calling his lawyer when he was in the back of the police car, he called his PR firm.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a feeling the PR firm is already at work. McGuinty had an issue with this guy because he loved the cameras, don't think that he won't be working them to his advantage. It'll be interesting to see if they come down harder on him just to avoid having it look like McGuinty is doing his "friend" a solid. I'm not sure the Libs would step in in his favour (don't see why they would, to be honest. Nothing to gain.) But if that slimey Ben Chin is still in charge of McGuinty's PR, it wouldn't surprise me to see them throw Bryant under the bus.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards having him charged with some sort of manslaughter, same as if you were attacked and used excessive force. As I said, from a vengence stand point, I want to see the man's career, the one he built using dishonesty and 0 intergrity to build, destroyed. Anything else is overkill. I'm also not going to cry if it does go further, though, either.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

His girlfriend was just on a call in talk show, she stated that there was no fight that evening between her and the boyfriend and neither were there any police called, said that is a complete rumour.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hmmmmm, then I wonder why one of his friends said he was drunk and in the back of a police cruiser and the police let him go on his bike? I watched the interview of the friend. Of course we don't get to see the whole interview, just the pieces the media wants you to see. Geesh, we just can't believe what the media states , may as well read the National Enquirer .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Oh, Bryant.

Is there any way the PR firm could get busted for all this BS, or just wishful thinking? Yeah it's suspect that the police would just let him go if he was strung out AND drunk.

I read he had to take his suit to him when he had his night in jail. Poor baby.

Since they're bringing Air India case lawyer in to defend Bryant, we should get Clayton Ruby back in.

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; September 3rd, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

The way our legal system works that @sshole will probably get 200 hours of community service and a retirement package....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Meaghan Edwards

No kidding. If it was you or I, we'd still be in jail!

There's some surveillance footage here:

http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/roumelio...ist-090902.mov

Not good quality but it's beyond me how anyone could watch it and still think he's innocent even if he is heading straight in the guy's direction. It's not like the street is packed with other cars.
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Humans killed by Pitbulls = 0
Humans killed by irresponsible irrational politicians = 1
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Meaghan Edwards

Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/user/honestedits

And thank God someone in the media had the sense to publish the fact that he's got a PR firm to twist the story around:

http://www.thestar.com/article/691400
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for posting that utube link. It really puts the seconds before Darcy's death into prospective. The PR firm was doing a great job of making it look as Darcy was the one who contributed to his own death. From what I see in the video, I see an arrogant driver of a vehicle that was either drunk or had road rage. I can understand Darcy's anger towards Bryant.

Darcy , I hope your death opens the eyes of drivers and cyclists to share the road and obey the rules.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Well isn't karma a bitch looks good on him I hope they throw the book at him. As long as this story is kept in the media they will not be able to sweep it under the rug with a slap on the wrists which is what will happen if it just fades away. He is an a$$hole and deserves the strongest penalty
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,MOTD,you can see who the first aggressor is and it was not Shepard.