Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old April 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I do respect your opinion though and can certainly understand why you, and others, are upset

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
In fact, I think him using such intense stereotypical/negative descriptors in his writing helps the cause. Contrasted against how happy go lucky the pup actually is/was, it shows you just how much more laughable these stereotypes are
I was thinking something similar, onster. It's as though he's trying to provoke some thought about the subject...contrasting his ingrained bias with the truth about Rocky. Not sure if he was successful, given the tendencies of people to read uncritically, but that idea did come to mind as I was reading. From the few logged comments that I had the time to read earlier, if that was his intent, a lot of people missed it....

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Everyone knows my views haha,and yes Rocky has one handsome pitty smile. They are a wonderful breed.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post

Rocky, it seemed to me, liked to pump iron.

Or eat it.

That comment particularly made me laugh. And if he was saying anything similar about my breed I'd be laughing too. Cattle dogs can be described in a bad way, you don't hear about the girl of mine that adopted a lamb, the ones that guard anyone's children, love cats etc., but this guy was funny, and he left me feeling like here is this power house of a dog that's saying look at this beautiful smile, and if you stand still long enough I'll slobber you to death. He didn't finish the article by saying he was relieved he got away unscathed from his encounter. We had a worse guy here with his own TV show who would take every opportunity to say something bad about my breed, even down to doing a segment on a different breed and finishing it by reaching down to pull up his trouser leg, saying that unlike an ACD it won't do this to you. LOL. An itsy bitsy bite mark.
3xm, you said

A quick and dirty poll of my dog/ non-dog friends found it was received as neither funny nor self-mocking.

I would suggest that your friends know your stance on this, so that is what I would expect you to say, but I'm an Aussie that has had nothing to do with that breed and who once believed the anti hype about pb's, so isn't it good that I got the impression of it being a friendly , albeit slobbery, smiley dog? It just wasn't bad publicity IMO.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Well maybe nothing happened as the article said but I'm another who has no problem with it. I think it's cute and realistic in it's portrayal of a person who is nervous of a dog but discovers, a bit unwillingly, that the dog is not so bad.

Oh. I should have simply dittoed Onster.
And ...if I hadn't published the photo?

I'm doing a major "shakes head" here...

Step OUT of your dog smart shoes and read it as Fatima-Q-Public.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Ummm, have to tell you, I thought the article was funnier than the photo. The article was like "Oh, gee, maybe this isn't as bad as I feared". LOL. And he didn't mind admitting the women showed him up. The owner of this dog was a great ambassador for the breed too, as many smiles as the dog by the sound of things.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Cattle dogs can be described in a bad way, you don't hear about the girl of mine that adopted a lamb, the ones that guard anyone's children, love cats etc., but this guy was funny, and he left me feeling like here is this power house of a dog that's saying look at this beautiful smile, and if you stand still long enough I'll slobber you to death.
Strong powerful breeds strive to perform and impress those around them specially within their "pack" and show a ton of affection for those that provide and nurture their well being and need for structure.They will always do the most they can to help their pack no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
And ...if I hadn't published the photo?

I'm doing a major "shakes head" here...

Step OUT of your dog smart shoes and read it as Fatima-Q-Public.
Yeah good call no idea who is going to be viewing any photos on here people of all ages/beliefs. Mostly for the kids tho

My bullies doin what they do best,and thats being goofy,cute,and showing off!

Guss(given name) other alias' Fatboy,and or Fat Dizzle.

Don't forget the always stunning and gorgeous Lola.Pretty young then.
Attached Images

Old April 18th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
Strong powerful breeds strive to perform and impress those around them specially within their "pack" and show a ton of affection for those that provide and nurture their well being and need for structure.They will always do the most they can to help their pack no matter what.
Brandon, ACDs are more assertive, more aggressive, probably more protective, less likely to befriend a stranger than a pb, only less formidable ( it might seem to people) due to lack of size/bulk and biting power, which is probably the only reason they've avoided the spotlight that pb's have on them. (although I think some towns in the States may have banned them.)I've had them for 35 years, I think my little pack got to 7 at one stage, so I do know a bit about how packs behave. Having read so much about pb's here I think now that it's bad owners, not bad dogs that is the problem. Never mind, people should lighten up. If an article can make someone laugh instead of think badly about a pb, this is not a bad thing. I'd far rather myself have a big slobbery/smiley dog coming at me than another person's cattle dog with that look in his eye.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Brandon, ACDs are more assertive, more aggressive, probably more protective, less likely to befriend a stranger than a pb, only less formidable ( it might seem to people) due to lack of size/bulk and biting power, which is probably the only reason they've avoided the spotlight that pb's have on them. (although I think some towns in the States may have banned them.)I've had them for 35 years, I think my little pack got to 7 at one stage, so I do know a bit about how packs behave. Having read so much about pb's here I think now that it's bad owners, not bad dogs that is the problem. Never mind, people should lighten up. If an article can make someone laugh instead of think badly about a pb, this is not a bad thing. I'd far rather myself have a big slobbery/smiley dog coming at me than another person's cattle dog with that look in his eye.
I do not have experience with that breed so dont know all their characterictic traits but im sure they are more aggressive/protective. They are a working class dog more specific a hearding dog,and biting(nipping) is actually more prone for sure! I was saying strong and powerful as in mentally,and emotionaly not for the physical characteristics. It is bad owners,thats all I can say from reading and personal experience with the breed. As far as im concerned,any dog or animal can be conditioned,or trained to be aggressive/attack. Because after all you(the owner) are the teacher/parent(pack leader) Perfect examples is how Cesar Millan deals with red zone cases in dogs. Dogs will read you 110% quicker than a human reads a dog or another human. There is no way to "bs" a dog. They will read you before you even realize you know what you want to do. A balanced dog will bite an adult before it bites a kid.(Meaning the adult mind is too developed and displays way more bad vibes/signals then the average kid who is taught how to interact with a dog when first meeting it whos brain does not prosses as many receptors to the body an adult would.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I don't know pb's at all. Do you think that basically they're benign but can be and are sometimes trained to be aggressive? A balanced dog will bite an adult before it bites a kid? Yes, I agree with that. I had a mother yelling about getting her toddler out from under the table with my first cattle dog and had to tell her if she didn't shut up, she'd get bitten herself. LOL. If that dog had thought her a threat to the toddler she'd have been in trouble. The child was not! That dog adored kids.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM

Rocky, it seemed to me, liked to pump iron.

Or eat it.

Now with people, I make it a habit not to judge a book by its cover.

There was a time in my life when some of my best friends dressed like hoodlums... Each, of course, was a peach.

But with dogs, I'm still stuck on book = cover.

And to my (at least when it comes to canines) judgmental mind, Pit Bulls = trouble.
[/QUOTE]

No he IS the iron....and the columnist is right I guess,cause the cover thats on the book of media biases has his picture on it....and I do believe there is a salavaiting Rocky sitting beside him with sharp long teeth, and evil stare.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't know pb's at all. Do you think that basically they're ?benign? but can be and are sometimes trained to be aggressive? A balanced dog will bite an adult before it bites a kid? Yes, I agree with that. I had a mother yelling about getting her toddler out from under the table with my first cattle dog and had to tell her if she didn't shut up, she'd get bitten herself. LOL. If that dog had thought her a threat to the toddler she'd have been in trouble. The child was not! That dog adored kids.
Oh yes of course their qualities are abused by people who have a lack of better judgement. Which in turn feeds the medias views.Im not saying the breed is innocent. Ill compare it like this. A gun is a gun wether its a .22 calibre or a .45 caliber. Either way you are not going to want to be shot. Therefore a dog is a dog wether its a teacup or a "horse" you are not going to want to be attacked. Yes your PREFERENCE would be to not be shot/attacked by the biggest gun/dog,but that is what it is......a preference. In the end the outcome is the same and this needs to be realized before more damage is done.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I guess this debate could go on forever. We don't know what was going through the author's head, we can only go by what he wrote, period.

I didn't read anything in that article that did pitbulls any favours. Some people may have thought the tone of the article was humorous, but that is an assumption on their part, no facts to contrary. I didn't read where the author thought that Rocky was a gentle, loving dog . He talked about barring teeth, and pitbulls = trouble, and that he was happy the owner had a substantial leash . As mx3 stated, John Q Public is reading this article, not necessarily those who are doggy smart and realize that Rocky is a sweet and lovable dog.

Even if we assume the author meant for it to be humorous, is it really funny? I don't think so. Had the author been writing about African Americans and comparing them to muggers, or Muslims as terrorists, or Catholic Priests as pedophiles, then it wouldn't be so funny and we would be calling the author a racist and demanding the newspaper retract the column.

Pit bulls here in Ontario are being unfairly judged, they are assumed guilty by their looks, not on their actions. Many families have had to experience unnecessary grief due to our discriminatory laws. Military families (and others) who are posted into Ontario are having to say goodbye to beloved family pets, not because they had done anything wrong but because they are a pitbull. Pitbulls are being put to death, not for what they have done but by who their parents are.

If the author wanted to portray his biased thoughts on pitbulls being trouble, then he should have made it clear in the article and given Rocky the fair description of being a sweet and lovable dog.

I just fail to see any humor in this at all.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; April 18th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

my beagle did eat iron, and flack (stuff that fall off when your welding),...she was operated on once for it.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
Oh yes of course their qualities are abused by people who have a lack of better judgement. Which in turn feeds the medias views.Im not saying the breed is innocent. Ill compare it like this. A gun is a gun wether its a .22 calibre or a .45 caliber. Either way you are not going to want to be shot. Therefore a dog is a dog wether its a teacup or a "horse" you are not going to want to be attacked. Yes your PREFERENCE would be to not be shot/attacked by the biggest gun/dog,but that is what it is......a preference. In the end the outcome is the same and this needs to be realized before more damage is done.
A strange analogy, but I can see it. In both cases, you have to worry about the person behind it all--has the dog been trained properly? And who has the gun? The difference is that guns don't shoot themselves, but dogs need proper guidance so that they don't bite. A good gun won't go bad if it doesn't get the proper training, but a dog might. Responsible ownership is key for safety in both situations, however...regardless of the caliber of the gun or the size of the dog.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Good guns also wont go bad from lack of socialization, good guns (and bad ones) have to be locked up at all times. Even the best bully not socialized and always locked up not excercised could very well go bad.

I'm not a fan of the analogy, a gun is incapable of acting on its own with out direct physical stimiuli, where a dog of any breed does act on its own but how it acts owes a lot to the person behind it with physical and mental influence, but I get your point on the matter.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Good guns also wont go bad from lack of socialization, good guns (and bad ones) have to be locked up at all times. Even the best bully not socialized and always locked up not excercised could very well go bad.

I'm not a fan of the analogy, a gun is incapable of acting on its own with out direct physical stimiuli, where a dog of any breed does act on its own but how it acts owes a lot to the person behind it with physical and mental influence, but I get your point on the matter.

I was using it as a rough analogy of it. I know its not the same,a gun is an object not a mind. I ment it in the sense of the size of the bullet more then the gun itself.
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad to see so many different views.....Great thread

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 26th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I guess this debate could go on forever. We don't know what was going through the author's head, we can only go by what he wrote, period.

I didn't read anything in that article that did pitbulls any favours. Some people may have thought the tone of the article was humorous, but that is an assumption on their part, no facts to contrary. I didn't read where the author thought that Rocky was a gentle, loving dog . He talked about barring teeth, and pitbulls = trouble, and that he was happy the owner had a substantial leash . As mx3 stated, John Q Public is reading this article, not necessarily those who are doggy smart and realize that Rocky is a sweet and lovable dog.

Even if we assume the author meant for it to be humorous, is it really funny? I don't think so. Had the author been writing about African Americans and comparing them to muggers, or Muslims as terrorists, or Catholic Priests as pedophiles, then it wouldn't be so funny and we would be calling the author a racist and demanding the newspaper retract the column.

Pit bulls here in Ontario are being unfairly judged, they are assumed guilty by their looks, not on their actions. Many families have had to experience unnecessary grief due to our discriminatory laws. Military families (and others) who are posted into Ontario are having to say goodbye to beloved family pets, not because they had done anything wrong but because they are a pitbull. Pitbulls are being put to death, not for what they have done but by who their parents are.

If the author wanted to portray his biased thoughts on pitbulls being trouble, then he should have made it clear in the article and given Rocky the fair description of being a sweet and lovable dog.

I just fail to see any humor in this at all.
I couldn't have said it better myself therefore I am quoting you!
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself therefore I am quoting you!
Awwww, thanks LMPG. I just hate the pitbull ban here, it just turns my stomach

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is Rocky's owner a member here mx3?
LOL, just scrolling through posts, I didn't know this was here LOL.. Yes, I'm a member, and yes, that's my Rockstar with Olivia Chow, seems we can get into trouble just answering the door.. Olivia has known Rocky for years which would have been obvious to Mr. Cudmore who is supposedly a "political journalist" he has since answered our complaints about this article with something like, What we should have gotten out of the article was that despite the reputation of the breed, Rocky gave Kisses not bites.. I thought, TOO bad that's not what YOU wrote.. but I am over it now.
It as actually broadcasted over CBC radio, nationally.. and i am in the background going "kisses Rocky, Kisses" and to think there was a federal Election going on and still the "Pit Bull" gets the coverage!
However, it obviously went ok for Olivia and Rocky is claiming full responsibility for the "Orange Wave" LOL
PS.. yes, I think it's funny now but when I read the part that says, Rocky bared his teeth, which of course NEVER happened and NEVER would.. I was VERY upset.
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Same here Melinda , I read it twice , saw nothing wrong with the article. Then again , you always have people feeling attacked , screaming bloody murder as soon as "Pitbulls" are mention.

quoted from the article :

"He forced his way out the door and into the hall"

not too much control there.
UMMM, FACT, I opened the door a crack because my gate on the door was missing, (long boring story) I was Shocked to see a man standing there with a recording devise, wouldn't you be a little suprised???, I opened the door further to see Olivia and one of my neighbours when Rocky slipped out into my hallway - a hall way that is common space to all of my neighbours who are all FINE with him being out there- our building, like most, is a security building where one lets in a visitor by the telephone.. I was not alerted to anyone being allowed into our building.. CUDMORE did not have permission to be there and certainly not to record me. Rocky was "under control" and was only excited to have company!
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

trying to post a pic, everything has changed since last i did this!
Attached Images

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, what a beautiful boy

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Mickey, my angel

Awe, that is just too, too adorable. The "Rockstar" is a gorgeous boy.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

*L* I love the picture, for some reason it reminds me of the politicians that kiss the babies *L*
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

A great pic of Rocky the politician,a beautiful boy