Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Sick and Tired of Bees

I am going crazy and so is my dog. I am being taken over by bees.......poor dog got stung today and usually when confronted he can kill a wasp without getting stung, today it must of landed on him. We saw activity aroung the roof shingles and sprayed. That settled that, but I kill about 20-30 bees a day, what are your suggestions??????
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I am going crazy and so is my dog. I am being taken over by bees.......poor dog got stung today and usually when confronted he can kill a wasp without getting stung, today it must of landed on him. We saw activity aroung the roof shingles and sprayed. That settled that, but I kill about 20-30 bees a day, what are your suggestions??????
Those are probably wasps, not bees, that you're having a problem with. The wasps are all out trying to find as much sweet and yummy things to eat as they possibly can right now. Not much you can do really except make sure there isn't anything around that's attracting them (like fallen fruit from trees, dog food left out, ect.).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes your right they are wasps...I've never seen so many inside the house, it's a never ending battle of the fly swatter.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty11, I hear you loud and clear. Even though I have 400,000 bee's in my yard (I'm the beekeeper) it is the wasps that drive me nuts and get in the house. Halo was stung multiple times by a wasp about a month ago. Unfortunately unless you can find their nest and destroy that there's not much you can do other than eliminate the attractants. I have a recycle box outside with my pop cans and such, but I rinse them all before they go out. Same with my recycle food containers. They are attracted to the kitchen when we're cooking and routinely come in and bother us. Next year I hope to have a screen door on the kitchen.
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I hate wasps!! Have you tried putting up one of those fake nests, supposed to make the ones coming around think there's a resident hive and they're supposed to leave.
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:43 PM
You can call me DOG!

Have to be careful with what you wear on your feet as well. Wasps are hovering in the grass right now and one flew into my Croc shoe and stung the top of my foot! OUCH!

On a nice, sunny autum day, it would be recommend to either wear a full lace up shoe or flip flops!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh DOG that's a great tip! I always wear my DAWGS in the yard, didn't think about the darned things in the grass! How about full body armour!!!?? and carry a flame thrower!!
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
You can call me DOG!

Or you could wrap your entire body up with tape so when they land on you, they'll stick to the tape.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Obsessed animal lover

How about getting some of thine fake nests so the wasps think their territory has been taken? Even just putting up paper bags that have been blown up and tied would work. Or hire an exterminator. I don't think there is a shortage of wasps but there are of bees and we need bees!
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

They are definately wasps. My husband sprayed couple of areas that were suspicious. Filled some obvious holes. There are less but not gone. If I don't see improvement I'm calling in a professional by the end of the week. They are slow and stupid but they can land on someone and sting. So far only one dog got it. Between wasps, squirrels this year I'm being taken over.....
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Ahhh wildlife and mother nature!! Gotta love it!!
Old October 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Neo+cats

Not sure if this would work on wasps (and it might be too late by now anyway, lol) but I know for a fact that it works on bedbugs!

Try dripping/spraying this mixture in doorways and windows to keep them out:

7 drops each of
Tea tree oil
Verveine oil
Lavender oil

Seriously, I tried everything to get rid of bedbugs after movers' blankets infested my couch; nothing worked and I was being eaten alive (darn those bites are itchy! worse than mosquitos!) until a friend who worked at a natural remedies store sold me the oils. 22$ and 3 days later ... no more bugs!

I dripped the drops in the morning, went to work, came back and vacuumed the couch (and bed to be sure), re-dripped and let it sit over night; and started over.
The itchy bites: put the drops in the bathtub filled with warm water and crawled into it: itch gone!

Kitten's ear-mites? Tea Tree Oil on a cotton swab, next day the mites were dried out and no more problems for the cat - my neighbour paid 2000$ to the vet for a visit and cream for put in the ears of her kitten for 3 weeks, keeping it away from her other cat!

Again, no idea what wasps think of the stuff, but it's worth a try maybe?
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie-mom View Post
Kitten's ear-mites? Tea Tree Oil on a cotton swab, next day the mites were dried out and no more problems for the cat -
Absolutely DO NOT use tea tree oil (or any other essential oils, but most especially not tea tree) on a cat. It may cure the ear mites, but you may also end up with a dead kitten. Essential oils are toxic to cats, causing liver damage.

http://www.messybeast.com/teatree.htm
http://www.veterinarywatch.com/Abstr...a-tree-oil.htm
http://cats.about.com/od/housekeepin...omatherapy.htm
http://www.holisticat.com/aromatherapy.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; October 12th, 2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added another link