Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Is there a law against people constantly rehoming pets!!!

Hi there.. thanks for the message board.

I joined today hoping to find out if there is some sort of law against people constantly bringing home pets then 6mths later "getting rid" of them ..

This issue has been going on for over 2yrs now. My neighbors in the past 2yrs have been through no word of a lie 5 dogs and 4 cats.

The first dog they had was a Jack Russell, I am not sure what happened with that dog. Shortly after his departure they got a big golden lab, about 2mths later I over heard the husband saying the dog ran away because his wife forgot to close the gate (more like she did it on purpose).

Then they got 2 dogs. Both Jack Russell's. The first one was let go after a couple of months. The 2nd one they had for quite awhile and then one day he too was gone!

The last dog they had for at least 7 months, a beautiful golden retriever. Last week they "got rid" of the dog because apparently the wife broke her ankle and it was the dogs fault.

Now these people also have 2 children, it worries me what this is teaching their children.. unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that, but ....
I am so sick and tired of them doing this to innocent animals!! People like this should not own animals!! There must be some law out there that can ban people like this from owning dogs and cats!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if nothing I have been able to vent and get this off my chest!

Chantel
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Unfortunately, unless they are abusing the animals or allowing them to run unsupervised, there's likely nothing that can be done about the situation there. But I agree there are some people that just should not have pets!! Are you friendly with this family? Any chance they'd listen to a friendly bit of advice?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:46 PM
-

The only thing you could do is to talk to someone at our humane society (they could put these people on their "adoption black list") but that won't prevent your neighbors to get more dogs from online adds :sad:
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM

There are no laws to protect animals from this kind of behaviour. You can go to any pet shop and purchase a pet, no questions asked. It is probably better that these animals did not stay with them for long, because of attachment issues. Just opening a door and letting the dog leave is just plain cruel. As far as their children are concerned, children often "pick up" on their parents' bad traits and later on in life do just the opposite.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Unfortunately there isn't anything illegal about that. Immoral and disgusting behavior - yes but not illegal.

You could make phone calls to every shelter/rescue & HS facility in your area to tell them about this family but as another poster said, that won't prevent them from getting a dog from an online ad. The attitude that pets are disposable is the problem, and the kids are going to grow up with the same attitude IMO.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Argh, that is so frustrating.
They are leaving a wake of destruction behind them.. poor animals.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Might be something else at play in this case. I've known a couple or two where either partner has insisted on bringing pets home despite their partners insistence that they either dislike animals, are afraid of them, or simply don't want one.....and the "animal lover" just ignores this and keeps bringing the animals home to the unwelcome environment...thinking the other person will just get used to it or something. These situations rarely work out for the best.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM

sadly, no, there is no law i work in the law enforcement field and as stated, unless they are abusing or malnourishing these pets, there is little one can do
i do agree with hazel, perhaps some friendly chat/advice may work. if they are not receptive to your suggestions, perhaps they will see that others are observing their behaviours and may think twice before getting another pet.

and hopefully when they are 'getting rid' of the unwanted pets, they are going to loving families and they have much better lives than they would have with these neighbours.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Obsessed animal lover

I wish there was a law too. My friend's son moved in with his girlfriend and they got 2 pug x beagles. Then, 7 months later, they gave them away because they were too hyper (or maybe the son and gf were too lazy to train and walk them). Then now they bought a pom mix of some kind. I wonder how long it will last. I can't imagine what they paid for such a mix. makes me sick...