Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

So anyway, we also brought Roscoe's remains home last night, he's buried in my mother in law's backyard.
But on a lighter note, there is a dog she'd been thinking about taking, her friend rescued it and could not care for it financially so was thinking of taking it to the pound. She decided last night to take it. It's a sweet little dog, about 6 months old, appears to be a border collie mixed with something like whippet or greyhound.
We brought Bheka over there last night and they had fun playing with each other and the other 2 dogs.

I think I've decided to plant a dwarf pear tree where Walnut is buried. Pears were her favorite treat. Something like this maybe http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/BartlettPear.htm.
Old April 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Honestly, I don't think even if you were out with them, that you could have really done anything anyways. So I hope your not feeling guilt over letting them out unsupervised. I would let keely out in our yard alone if she were bigger.

Im SO sorry for your loss.. Its unfair for anybody to have to loose one. But not two at once. My heart goes out to you. I hope Casey will meet them at the bridge and show them the ropes..

I really wish there was something I could do/say to help
I do feel guilty. Usually I locked them up in the laundry room when we went somewhere, but it was such a pretty day out and Walnut enjoys laying in the sun when it's not too hot so I decided to leave them out . When we left they were happy and doing just fine then I come back to Her and Roscoe laying on the ground asphyxiating and paralyzed and having seizures. And I was pretty much positive they were not gonna make it even before we left for the vet.
Walnut's heart stopped about 10 minutes after we got to the vet and he tried for about 5 to revive her. After he said she was gone I still tried to restart her heart by giving her CPR and they had to make me stop. Roscoe died a few mins after her in another room.
This is probably the most traumatic thing that's ever happened to me, and a lot has happened before. My husband said burying Walnut was the hardest thing he's ever done, and that included cleaning out his dad's house after he died and dropping his ashes in the ocean .
Old April 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I am soooo sorry for your loss
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of your 2 dogs that is devastating. My thoughts are with you and your family
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil View Post
I do feel guilty. Usually I locked them up in the laundry room when we went somewhere, but it was such a pretty day out and Walnut enjoys laying in the sun when it's not too hot so I decided to leave them out . When we left they were happy and doing just fine then I come back to Her and Roscoe laying on the ground asphyxiating and paralyzed and having seizures. And I was pretty much positive they were not gonna make it even before we left for the vet.
Walnut's heart stopped about 10 minutes after we got to the vet and he tried for about 5 to revive her. After he said she was gone I still tried to restart her heart by giving her CPR and they had to make me stop. Roscoe died a few mins after her in another room.
This is probably the most traumatic thing that's ever happened to me, and a lot has happened before. My husband said burying Walnut was the hardest thing he's ever done, and that included cleaning out his dad's house after he died and dropping his ashes in the ocean .
I don't have any words

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Walnut and Roscoe

So sorry you and your family and poor Bheka are having to deal with this tragedy and hope that the poison is identified along with who dispensed it.
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
One dog at a time...

I have been thinking about you, Walnut and Roscoe ever since I read your story. What in the world could it be? Then I thought, could they have possibly gotten into something the day before? Maybe it wasn't something fast acting but something they got into earlier. I am racking my brain.
You have my heartfelt sympathy for all you are going through.

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Skylar's Farm

Sending you sincere condolences on the loss of your sweet doggies.

I have a story: I used to have a neighbour with Bassetts, nice family.
BUT, when they had a problem with squirrels in their attic,
the husband put poison on pieces of bread (!$*&^%) and left them on the edge of the roof for the squirrels.
He thought the dogs would never get them. Well, a big wind storm came along and blew the
pieces of bread off of the roof and directly into the dog pen.

Fortunately she noticed her dog barf and look very sick, and he went immediately to the emerg vet.
It was quick at the vets and the dogs were saved, but her husband had to pay a huge vet bill
and I'm sure his wife almost murdered him anyway.
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

We're still waiting for the test results from the stomach contents and stuff. They had to send it off to a lab.
that they can give you an answer. They couldn't have dug up and eaten any bulbs? I know daffodils are poisonous but not the symptoms.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Lodi Girl View Post
I have been thinking about you, Walnut and Roscoe ever since I read your story. What in the world could it be? Then I thought, could they have possibly gotten into something the day before? Maybe it wasn't something fast acting but something they got into earlier. I am racking my brain.
You have my heartfelt sympathy for all you are going through.
It's unlikely. Since Walnut got HGE and nearly died last year we watched her like a hawk for ANY odd behavior whatsoever. They were perfectly fine when we let them out, so if they got into something it was something that showed no signs whatsoever until sometime within that 2 hours when we were gone.
Antifreeze can show a delay, but there's always at least some kind of sign of sickness, then the dogs will act ok, which sometimes delays treatment, and then it will come back full force.
Even antifreeze would have had to be given specifically by someone though because we don't even have antifreeze at our house, none of our cars leak it and the dogs are always watched unless in the backyard.

BTW, Bheka is still just fine. We took her to my sister in law's house to play with her dog and run around out there.
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I just thought of something.

The only place we haven't looked is under our house. It's a tight squeeze but I looked earlier and I think Walnut could have gotten under there if she tried hard enough and Roscoe definitely could have. The hole that goes under there is only partially boarded up and it's on the back porch.

I find it odd that Roscoe got sick to the same degree as Walnut but died AFTER her, being he was 20 lbs you'd think it would be the other way around. The way I figure it Walnut may have seen some kind of animal go under there, such as a rabbit, and while she wouldn't put the effort into getting under there after most animals, like cats, if it was something like a rabbit or squirrel, which she would ALWAYS chase and try to kill and the animal was acting weird that might have given her enough motivation. Roscoe may have went under there after her. There's NO way Bheka could have gotten under the house, she's WAY too big, and the other dogs wouldn't have brought anything out for her to get, but perhaps she ate the other dogs' vomit and that's why she only got slightly sick, because most of the poison would have been metabolized by the other dogs by then. That would explain why the puke we found didn't have much in it, even the dog food they'd eaten that morning, and there was almost nothing in Roscoe's stomach, so we know he didn't re-eat it.

So in the morning when there's light we're going to go under there with flashlights and search really good to see if we find anything. I really really hope it was something like that and not a random poisoning.
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Mickey, my angel

I'm so sorry for your loss, MBIE. What a horrible nightmare this must be for you. I hope you at least find some answers soon.

Run free, sweet Roscoe
Run free, sweet Walnut
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:28 PM
~Cat Servent~

I am so so sorry for your loss....I'll send my prayers your way tonight for strength, and some sort of answer.

Walnut and Roscoe

Speedy recovery for Bheka and your poor hearts.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Senior Contributor

How long have you lived in your house, and is there anything that could live under it that people might lay bait for? Rats or mice, but anything bigger?
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
I really really hope it was something like that and not a random poisoning.

I hope so also, I would hate to think that a person/persons could be so cruel

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
How long have you lived in your house, and is there anything that could live under it that people might lay bait for? Rats or mice, but anything bigger?
We bought the house at the end of '08. My husband went under there to inspect for structural issues, but I don't think he searched around the whole underneath for bait or dead animals. My cats have gotten out and run under there before and been fine, and I've seen the neighbors cats go under and be fine, but you know how cats are, they probably wouldn't gulp anything up like dogs would.

Either way my dogs have never showed any interest in going under there, and since it's partially boarded would have had to WANT to go under there badly. So that's why I'm thinking they may have seen some kind of sick and dying animal go under and followed it. That would be enough incentive for them to climb under the house. And it would explain why no remains were found in the yard itself.

I still haven't climbed under there. I just woke up a little while ago and just got done eating and found out I need batteries for my flashlight. So I'll update in a little bit when I get out to buy batteries and get under there.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

BTW, if we do find an animal, being it's been a few days and we didn't think of it until now, do you guys think they'd still be able to test it and find anything? (Obviously we'd send it off anyway, but I'm just curious). If the dogs ate the stomach or something, would they be able to test the animal itself being there would be slight decomposition (it's been in the 70s) and find anything?
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Can your vet not do a toxicology report on your dog's bloodwork? I had that done on my Puddles when the vet was trying to determine what was causing her to be so ill.

Another thing I was thinking of is the size of the item that contained the toxins. Wouldn't it have to be a few peices or a large piece for all three dogs to get into it? Could somebody have thrown something over your fence?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, this is so shocking and heartbreaking. I am so so sorry for your loss.
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I am so sorry MBIE - such a horrible thing! My heart goes out to you and yours.

I would think that the vet could run toxicology on any remains you might find under your house. The symptoms are definitely a poisoning and I hope the vet can give you some answers soon.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, what a nightmare

I'm so sorry this has happened to you

I was going to suggest flowering dogwood for a plant but I see you are going with the pear tree... a very nice choice

My thoughts are with you

and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

We're realizing that Bheka is pretty lonely. Probably will take her out for a walk tomorrow with Royce and my mother in law's new dog. Would take her other dog too, but he hasn't been socialized so I dunno how he'd respond to other dogs or people on the street. He can be kind of aggressive when new people come to her house, especially guys. I'll have to take him out by himself and see what I can do with him. I know Royce is fine since I'm the one that raised and trained him, and the new dog is submissive to other dogs and people, so she should be fine. She needs some socialization anyway since she's only 6 months old.

I know I need to get a companion for Bheka, and I have no problem getting another dog, I just dunno how long we should wait . I don't wanna make the incorrect choice for her companion just on a snap decision because we're worried she's lonely just a few days after the other dogs passed. My sister in law has 2 malamute mix puppies, but they're only 7 weeks old and Bheka is a big old 91 lb dog plays rough and she kinda scares them, so they wouldn't be much of a companion for several months. I looked on petfinder but nothing really popped out at me as far as a good match right now. Big problem is I need an adult dog that won't hurt my cats, and since there are 10 cats running around and playing in my house it could spark their prey drive. The dogs I found that were ok with cats wouldn't be ok with Bheka because they were either too laid back and non-playfull or too small. The ones that seemed like they'd be ok with Bheka I was worried about the cats because they were larger dogs of breeds that tend to have a high prey drive, like huskies. I wouldn't worry about those breeds if I raised them myself, but coming from a shelter or foster and being adults I dunno. We found one that was already living with cats and was large and playful, but like I said, worried about adopting so soon too. So yeah, what do you guys think?

Bheka seems pretty confused because she relied on Walnut to make decisions. If Walnut did something she'd just do what she did. Now we ask her to do stuff and she kinda has to think for a second to figure out if it's the right decision. Usually she'd wake up in the morning and go outside and play really hard with Walnut and they'd hang out and play together in the house all day. It seems so quiet here .
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, still haven't looked under the house yet. I was gonna do it myself earlier but my back went out on me and I just can't climb under there. My husband is procrastinating because I think he's either scared he WILL find something, or worse WON'T find anything.
I looked under there earlier before my back went out but I didn't have a good flashlight so I couldn't see very far in. It did smell kind of funny, but I wasn't sure if it was something decaying maybe because I really can't smell much anyway on account of my allergies.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:05 AM

MBIE, your in my thoughts as you continue on your search to get to the bottom of what happened to your pups. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

As for getting a companion for Bheka, IMO, I would wait it out for a bit until you hopefully get some resolutions. I can appreciate him feeling lonely... I know if anything happened to one of my dogs, the others would be so devestated - especially if only one of them was left. However, I would wait it out... like you said, you are looking for a very specific dog (adult, large, okay with 10 cats and Bheka etc), and I think its best not to rush into anything at this point. I don't think its possible to really set a specific time frame - it will vary with how you, your family, and Bheka are feeling. I would suggest having a grieving period, and you will know when the time is right to add another pup to your family.

Good luck!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

That's what I was thinking. I was thinking just bringing my mother in law's dogs over during the day while she's at work and they're alone anyway so Bheka has some company, or taking her over there with us. It does suck that she feels kind of lost right now though because she's just a puppy and she was taking all her cues from the adult dogs. That will make training a little harder too since she doesn't have any other dogs to learn from. I guess I could bring Royce over here some since he's already trained and everything, and they do have a similar personality, as in they're both big goofballs.
When I bring Bheka over there she likes to pick up limbs in the yard and carry them around and Royce will run over and grab one end and they'll pull each other around the yard .
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Live well, laugh often

I agree that it will probably be best to wait a wee bit before getting another dog. While I am sure she misses the dogs she is probably also picking up on your sadness and feelings. Sounds like a good temporary situation to borrow the m-i-l dogs during the day and it might be good for Behka to have a bit of one on one time with you guys. It could help her develop her self confidence .
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry, I just now read your post. My condolences to you and your family...how truly sad
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM

MBIE, what a tragic nightmare you guys have been through. Here's hoping for some peace and resolutions.
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Just looked under the house. My husband found a squirrel with the guts eaten out. Head and spine were still intact and covered in fur. Went under there to look for myself and saw it too. There was fur and bone scattered everywhere so possibly looks like the dogs fought over it. Didn't see anything that looked like poison or bait under there.

What did I say? The only thing the dogs would have chased under there is a rabbit or squirrel. Cats go under there and they don't pay any attention. I dunno why I didn't think of that in the first place.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Are u going to have the squirrel remains tested for poison?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)