Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM

My puppy ran away.

Yesterday my 7 month old lab some how got out of my backyard and ran off. Usally if he gets out off leash he will hang around my house and stay at the front door when he's ready to come inside,this time he never came back. This happend at 4pm. 2:30am last night i heard him barking at my front door,I ran downstairs and he ran back inside! I was soooooooooo happy to see him. His paws had legs and belly had mud on it. Where could he have gone for that long? I'm surprised no one took him. I'm just so happy to have him back now.

Since he came back he has bin sleeping all day today and he's not as engergetic as he usally is. He seems really tired. He is eating and drinking so I don't think it's pravo. Could something be wrong with him? or could he just be scared he was gone for so long by himself?
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

at 7 months he could have been following a females scent....and possibly found her.....or he could have just ran steady and that would be why he's sleeping so hardy now.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:45 AM

richie,
he's been neutered, right?
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Senior Contributor

richie, I'm glad to hear your dog came home. Please if he isn't neutered, get that done immediately. He's likely just tired from being on the run for so long, but it wouldn't hurt to book a vet's appointment just to check him out and make certain there's no injuries and you could talk to the vet about neutering at the same time (if it's not already been done...). If he hasn't been neutered he will run every time he gets out to search for females in heat. He can't help that, it's just a natural instinct for the dogs and the sooner he's neutered the better to stop that desire to mate. I'd be very careful about the fact that he's gotten out before. Seems you need a little better security for your pup. Good luck to you both.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replys, he is not nutured.I will look into nuturing him. I was really surprised he didn't get hit by a car or something. I just hope he didn't get any other dogs pregnate LOL.