Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM

which type

Hi, I would really appreciate some advice on feeding my dogs. I have a 7 year old rottie and a 5 month old staff bull. Up until I bought the staff I was feeding my rottie bakers complete in a le bistro feeder. She has never been a greedy dog and after filling it with about 10 days worth of food, it would last between 8 and 12 days, so she was not really over eating.
I would like to continue to put food into the le bistro for them both to eat, but would like to have a bit of help in choosen one. The only reason for feeding them this way is for simplicity, but if it cannot be done then I will have to feed them seperate. I have been told that the staff will be classed as an adult when he is 6 months, so could I just choose an adult dog food to feed them both.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Well, my honest opinion, the Bakers complete is a very very very low quality food.

If you'd like to stay with kibble, switch to an all life stage formula that you can feed to both your pups. Try Canidae. Has excellent ingredients.

As for the Le Bistro, thats a matter of knowing your dog. Some will eat until they explode others can self regulate. With the puppy, you want to keep him lean. So I'd be carefull with free feeding.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Hi Scott, they are not both pups. One is 7 years and the other is 5 months. What is kibble. Also I live in the uk.
Cheers.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Hi Gav, kibble is dry dog food -

One of the best brands in the UK is Burns http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/index.htm

We used to live in London and Gomez did very well on this food - it's all natural and very good ingredients - We switched Gomez from the Small Bites to the adult food at 1 year, but of course he's a Norfolk Terrier.

Canidae is not available in the UK - actually very few of the food talked about in this forum are -

James Wellbeloved is another good brand in the UK - unfortunately the choices for really good food are limited, but have a look at these two, see if the suit you
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Hi Gomez, I have just been looking at Hill's science plan for adult dogs. It says that it is used for adult dogs of all breeds. My preference is to have a dog food that I could put in the le bistro that both my small staff and large rottie can eat. I also want it to be of excellent quality. Would this brand be a good choice.
Cheers.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Hills is not really a great choice of food -

You could put both Burns and Wellbeloved into the LeBistro, they are both little pellets of dry food, is that what you are looking for?

As Scott_B said though, your puppy may not be so restrained when it comes to feeding himself sensibly, I know if I put that LeBistro in front of Gomez, he would eat the whole thing in one go!
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Hi Gomez, what i'm looking for is a dry food that can be put into the le bistro for both dogs to eat as and when they feel like it. The adult rottie will eat just enough for herself and it works out to be around what she should be allowed for that day. As you say the puppy may eat to much so I will have to keep aneye on him.
The reason I am asking which food will be ok for the both of them is, I do not want to be feeding anything harmful to one of the dogs (feeding adult food for large dogs to a staff).
I'm assuming that because the Hill's was around the same price that the quality should be the same.
Cheers.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Queen

Also if you have a look at the first sticky in this cat and dog food forum, "10 Secrets Pet Food Companies Don't Want You to Know" it helps you get an idea of what to look for in the ingredients. Its a lot of info but even if you just get the jist it helps. And I agree that price is not always a sign of quality.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
-

Price is definitely not always a sign of quality. Another good website for information is www.dogfoodproject.com ....click on "Ingredients to Avoid" on the left hand side of the page.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I wish I knew more about holistic foods in the UK because Burns isn't the greatest compared to the foods we have here.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM
-

I agree and the protein content is pretty low too.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Wow it seems there is a definite lack of quality dry dog food in the UK (however it does seem like a good percentage of people there feed raw/homecooked).

This distributor does Eagle Pack and Fromms, it's the best I could come up with.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I have a few friends from the UK and they can get canidae.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938